Has Any Other Internation Version Done This?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was watching a new episode of Plaza Sesamo on VOD today, and to my surprise there was an American sketch on there (dubbed of course) featuring Big Bird! I thought Sesame Workshop said they couldn't have Big Bird (with the exception of China), but I assume they didn't apply it to inserts? Has Big Bird made an appearance on any other international Sesame Street before?

travellingpat

Reaction score
On PS they do dub a lot of American sketches...ive seen many on there whenever i watch it....dont know about the other shows though....sorry

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Whenever I get to back to Guatemala, I watch Plaza Sesamo, and have not only seen Big Bird but many American sketches and characters dubbed into Spanish. I have only seen a small handful of songs dubbed, but it's an interesting expirience seeing the classic clips in another language.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Big Bird, or Bibo as he is called in Germany, sketches appear often on Sesam Strasse. And back in the days Big Bird was a visitor on Sesam Strasse.

What Sesame Workshop is against is to have Big Bird as a cast member in the local produced segments. So the only place Big Bird is a cast member outside the US is in China.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I used to whach this show all the time. I hadn't seen it in a while but caught it recently. I never really paid attention to notice Big Bird was on there.

BEAR

Reaction score
I've also heard something about Big Bird not being allowed to be in the other International casts, but is he the only one? Are other U.S. characters allowed to? And what are the reasons for this?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know, I thought I saw the Elmo on the Japanees show.

Pino

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I've also heard something about Big Bird not being allowed to be in the other International casts, but is he the only one? Are other U.S. characters allowed to? And what are the reasons for this?
The reason is that Big Bird is kind of an american Icon. The producer where affraid that it was to much USA interfearence if they let Big Bird also in the show. There for they replaced him (full body puppet) for a puppet that suits the country they produce that international show in.
So Germany has a bear as international icon and Holland the blue pigionlike Big Bird :wink:

Oh and other muppets r allowed.. even Snuffy is seen in Holland lol

Drtooth

Reaction score
Big Bird ONLY appears in Dubbed sketches. Can I piggy back on this thread and ask my own question?

Does any other international version of SS use dubbed clips from Sesame Park? Plaza Sesamo does. 2 songs featuring a muppet in a wheelchair that didn't look like an American character were used, and one segment was a dubbed skit where Basil can't tie his shoes.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Aaah! I think the wheelchair girl was Katie. She had red braids? Man, best show ever.