"Happy Birthday To You replaced and edited out of Elmo and Abby's Birthday Fun

SillyRed

Reaction score
I watched the Elmo and Abby's Birthday Fun DVD, and In the Elmo's World segment, "Happy Birthday To You" was replaced by a different song and it was cut(except for the last bars of it in the end of the animated story about the Girl Who Loved Birthdays). Sesame Workshop used to have rights to the song, but not anymore. Why is this?:confused:

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Hmm, this song has had a troubled copyright history. Look up Wikipedia on it, and it has who owns rights to the song now.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think someone should write a good public domain replacement for that song once and for all. :super:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think someone should write a good public domain replacement for that song once and for all. :super:
I think someone HAS to buy up the song just to put it in the public domain. Really, some rich Samaritan needs to take it off the greedy, evil hands of the corporation that owns it now. You could probably get a GOOD song for what they charge. Like the Beetles Birthday song. Absolutely ridiculous.

The copyright doesn't even expire for over 20 years. I still say it's bull.

SS has had a LONG standing history of having to cut, alter, and otherwise delete the song on Home video releases. Look at the scene cut from Old School 2. Those villains at Warner Chappel need to let the bloody song go, but the royalties are just too good to pass up.