Guest Stars: Who Enjoyed It & Who Didn't?

Katzi428

Reaction score
Julie Andrews had worked with The Muppets before on Sesame Street.So it looked like she enjoyed working with them on TMS (particularly Kermit when she sang that song to him "When You Were A Tadpole & I Was A Fish"):smile:

SeanC

Reaction score
I've read that once the show became popular demand to be a guest star was so big that there had to be a waiting list for guest stars. Considering that, I'd be surprised if any post-season 2 guest stars didn't enjoy it (then again it's possible that a guest wanted to be on the show and then saw that it wasn't as enjoyable as they'd expected).
I remember an interview with John Cleese where he mentioned that TMS was 'the' thing to be on in the late 70s and that one of the main reasons he did it was to impress his kid. He also had a cameo in a 'Doctor Who' episode around the same time and gave the same 'for the kid' excuse. Yes, John, we believe you. Sure. It was for the kid. :smile:

Yorick

Reaction score
I wish TMS somehow went on into 1986 or so...(without missing out on other projects of the time) then we would have had this guest: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/61/174927709_7d4057df3d_o.jpg
Click on it for a full size view, and just ignore the statement below the picture, made by some square who doesn't "get it"...their loss.:wisdom:

Muppet Magazine is amazingly cool!

And Mr. T is the MAN, and to have him on TMS would've been SUPER:super:...he could've done a song with them too! He has songs, you know...and I like 'em! :smile:

Sorry this post doesn't totally fit in with the thread - but I think Mr. T would've enjoyed it if he had been on TMS, and I bet he enjoyed the Muppet Magazine sessions!

matleo

Reaction score
was watching Danny Kaye last night. You can clearly see him having fun with Piggy and the Chef. Great Episode

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I've been getting ready for The new season of SS and in will.I.am's song you could see he was having fun. But in the beginning of the video, when he was singing by himself, he didn't seem that excited... Until the Muppets came!:smile::super::super:

dwmckim

Reaction score
I wonder if Juliet Prowse didn't enjoy it. She didn't seem to be having fun, appearing more serious throughout. Of course she also didn't do much, but she seemed like a rather bored (and boring) guest.
Not so sure on that one. I think any stiffness on her part was more due to general discomfort with doing the acting stuff (not that she hadn't acted before but she is first and foremost a dancer). But you can tell in her eyes and expressions during the various parts of the show where she's interacting with Kermit that she's enjoying it. So in her case the "Muppet" part was fine; the "Show" part not as much.

I kind of sense Kris K wasn't as enthused and did the show more because Rita Coolidge wanted to as he emits this "I'm too cool to be here/why am I doing this?" air throughout but at the same time ended up enjoying it more than he thought he might especially the opening number with Piggy - that stuff with him trying to keep from breaking up to Piggy's adlibbed delivery/motions were the real deal.

Yorick

Reaction score
Little Richard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KXVDLpTXgE
I know this is a Muppets Tonight clip, but it just shows that some musical guests we didn't see on TMS had their chance later to rock with the Muppets, and this clip with Little Richard (being just as great as ever!) is proof that "better late than never!" rings true :smile:

And yes, it looks like the True King of Rock 'N' Roll enjoyed his stay with the Muppets! :big_grin:

SeanC

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KXVDLpTXgE
I know this is a Muppets Tonight clip, but it just shows that some musical guests we didn't see on TMS had their chance later to rock with the Muppets, and this clip with Little Richard (being just as great as ever!) is proof that "better late than never!" rings true :smile:

And yes, it looks like the True King of Rock 'N' Roll enjoyed his stay with the Muppets! :big_grin:
Many, many thanks for the link to that clip! I've been trying to track down all Doglion's appearances and that was one of the few ones left I'd never seen :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for Peter Sellers, have a read of his entry on Muppet Wiki - http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Sellers . Even Christopher Finch says in one of his books that TMS gave Sellers the opportunity to showcase his comedic talents.
Peter Sellers is a weird one. He absolutely cringed at the thought of being himself, so that could give off an aloofness. he is indeed a fan of the show, and he just had a chameleon blending in with his characters. So it really is hard to tell if he enjoyed being there or not. But he DID like the show. I really wonder why they never did any Pink Panther parodies on Muppet babies, though.

That said, I swear Mark Hamil enjoyed himself a LITTLE too much. And Paul Simon is indeed a friend of the Muppets, though it looks like he gets comeuppance in every sketch he was in.