Grover Article from the Assosicated Press

radionate

Reaction score
Five Questions With Grover
By CHRISTY LEMIRE, AP Entertainment Writer

NEW YORK - Grover can tell you how to get to Sesame Street — and China, and Trinidad, and Egypt.

As "Sesame Street" began its 34th season Monday on PBS (check local listings), Grover finally stepped into the spotlight with his own segment, "Global Grover."

The furry blue guy, who calls himself "a globe-trotting monster these days," introduces video segments from all over the world that teach the show's preschool viewers about different cultures, and what they have in common.

"Everyone on Sesame Street chipped in this past year to send me all around the world to learn about children in other countries and other cultures," he said. "I come back and I always bring something from my travels and teach everyone on Sesame Street about the places I went to."

The new season begins with visitors including first lady Laura Bush, a former librarian, who stops by to talk about the importance of reading. Other celebrity guests include singer Sheryl Crow (news), actress Natalie Portman (news) and comedian Wayne Brady (news).

But the real emerging star is Grover, the enthusiastic, inquisitive, perpetual 6-year-old.

"After all my travels, I have learned that the world is a much smaller place than I thought," he said. "I had not even gone around the corner before. This was something extra-special."

1. You've been on "Sesame Street" since the beginning, and it's taken you this long to get your own segment. Elmo's been there way less time than you have, and he has "Elmo's World." Is this new gig long overdue?

Grover: I actually went to the producers and talked to them about this. `Elmo has his world, I want mine.' So they gave me `Global Grover,' and a complimentary globe. It's a globe paperweight.

2. What are some of the favorite places you visited?

Grover: I learned so many interesting things in so many places. I went to Central America and learned how to make bricks. I learned how to do a Mongolian bowl dance — you place a bowl on your head and you do a nifty little dance. The most interesting thing I learned was, despite how different we all are, no matter where you go, people are people — unless they happen to be monsters.

3. Things are pretty scary in the world right now with the war in Iraq (news - web sites). How do you deal with that, and what do you tell other kids?

Grover: When kids come to me and say, `Grover, I am scared. What should I do?' I tell them, `Go run into the arms of your mommy, like I do, and talk to them. 'Cause mommies do an awful good job of making you feel better. They kiss your boo-boos and make you feel better.' ... Kids, do not watch the news.

4. Where does your alter ego, Super Grover, find his courage?

Grover: Super Grover, he is not afraid of anything! After all, he is a superhero. I think it comes from his cape. If you ever tried to put on a cape, it makes you feel powerful.

5. Kermit the Frog sang, "It's Not Easy Being Green." Is it any easier being blue?

Grover: I love being blue. It is an adorable color, no? That is the color that I am. Everyone should love who they are.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I learned how to do a Mongolian bowl dance — you place a bowl on your head and you do a nifty little dance.
Ah, but how does it compare to the Mexican Waiter Dance? :wink:

-Kim

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
6 year old?

All the things I've had show him as 4.

"Cute" article though (pun intended).