Goodbye Bert is Evil

Luke

Reaction score
I guess i'd better not start up that 'Elmo Is The Devil' site i've been planning for a few years then huh ?

:embarrassed:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Actually, Jess, this site has been down for a while. Take a look at the date: Oct. 11, 2001.

I remember when this got taken down. It was because a follower of Bin Laden's had pulled a picture off the Internet of Bert with Bin Laden, and put it into a photo collage. (The Al-Queda supporter apparently had no idea who Bert was.)

I've heard conflicting reports about whether or not this photo was on the "Bert is Evil" site, but it was definitely inspired by it. When he saw known terrorists and murderers supporting their leader with a photo that would fit in on his website, he was horrified and shut the site down.

Personally, while I understand his disgust and applaud his decision, I found it quite amusing that the terrorist/supporter had unwittingly put a cuddly Muppet on his sign. It was like the presence of Bert made a mockery of the whole sign. A brief, shining bit of humor during those dark times.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
Actually, Jess, this site has been down for a while. Take a look at the date: Oct. 11, 2001.

Yeah, ok, but still... I had never seen this letter before, and thought maybe other people would be interested.

Sorry for ringing in old news.

At least it wasn't another April Fool's joke.

Thijs

Reaction score
At last that terrible site is gone.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
No. Someone doctored a picture to make it look like Bert and Bin Laden were standing next to each other. It was based on spoofs at the Bert is Evil website, which had photos of Bert's head in place of Lee Harvey Oswald's, and a few others. It seemed funny at the time with historical distance, but when someone made the Bin Laden picture, the creator of the website realized it was no longer funny, and pulled the site.