Gonzo's personality change

Saironi

Reaction score
In season 1 of the Muppet Show, Gonzo almost always seemed depressed about something; be it his personal life or the fact that he always got booed offstage when he attempted to perform one of his acts; it's my theory that because of the depression, he hardly ever changed out of the purple tuxedo. He also almost always spoke in a whine, whimper or whisper or muttering under his breath, taking away the clear humor of his "What would I do with your ear?" to Kermit's assurance they could talk, making him seem a little dim and sounding like a child when he agreed with Fozzie that there was a phantom and snapping at Hilda.

Though there were times when he seemed to be more mature and like his modern self; when he persisted that Hilda repare his teddy bear, and when Twiggy read him and Muppy a bedtime story.

In "Ben Vereen", he's seen walking offstage saying that the crowd actually liked him for once; if you listen to the tone in his voice, he seems actually happy that whatever he did worked. I think it boosted his confidence, since he sort of appeared on stage more (with slightly more successful and less hated acts) and seemed to actually enjoy himself as opposed to before when he seemed like even he didn't think he had talent.

Then in season 2, he seems to gain more self-confiedence in his private life, as well, since he is able to confront Piggy and tells her in a clear voice that he doesn't have a crush on her anymore, where as before when he begged for her love, he was whinning and begging and had to resort to trickery to get her to date him. Although he does experience some dissapointment from setbacks backstage as always, he almost always seemed to have a way to bounce back. In Rich Little, he also seemed to develope enough nerve to act smart with Kermit, saying "How about a talking frog?" when Kermit called his dancing chicken act ridiculous. That's certainly the courage he never had in season 1.

Anyone care to discuss?

Frogster

Reaction score
That's very true... he got more enjoyable as the seasons went on. If you notice, he "got over his depression" by season five, and was just broke loose. He certainly had some great moments.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Season 1 mad me hate Gonzo he was great in Muppet Babies
Miss piggy Also

Valentine

Reaction score
Saironi said:
it's my theory that because of the depression, he hardly ever changed out of the purple tuxedo.
Don't be ridiculous, I think that Gonzo loved his purple tux...I mean, if I had that purple tux, I would always be wearing it. In fact, I believe the tux was the only thing that kept him from going over the edge. :concern:

Just, a thought.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yes his personality change is definitely evident on The Muppet Show. He's so funny when he's hyper and showing off all his quirks

It's unfortuante but sometimes I feel like the more recent Gonzo is a bit more confident and less weird than he used to be. Not that I think the character shouldn't be confident, but he seems too mainstream and not unusual enough.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Gonzo's a snappy dresser!

Valentine said:
Don't be ridiculous, I think that Gonzo loved his purple tux...I mean, if I had that purple tux, I would always be wearing it. In fact, I believe the tux was the only thing that kept him from going over the edge. :concern:

Just, a thought.
Two quick notes--I absolutely adore the way Gonzo dresses--if he was my age, I'd want to date him (Sorry hubby). Such verve, such style, such complete disregard for what anyone else thinks! (And he has GREAT shoes!)

The other thing I wanted to mention was that I believe Gonzo's attitude change came about in large part after they were able to make his eyelids move. I KNOW I've read something about this, but I don't remember where! Dave Goelz even says that he initially perceived Gonzo as a sort of down character (so sorry I'm papaphrasing!) because his eyes were so sad. Once they were able to give more expressive ability to the eyes, and therefore the whole face, Dave began to find Gonzo's true personality. (Another moving testimonial to the power of cosmetic surgery!)

Out of interest, does anyone have an episode or a guest star for the episode when Gonzo finally gives his intentions to woo Miss Piggy a rest? I'd enjoy seeing that again.