Gonzo Muppet more than toy

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gonzo Muppet more than toy
BY JOHN LEPTICH
East Valley Tribune (Mesa, Ariz.)

I sit corrected. (This one knocked me off my feet.)
The Diamondbacks must have known something about those Gonzo Muppets dolls they gave away two weeks ago.

To recap: The team handed out 15,000 9-inch plush dolls of Gonzo the Muppet dressed in an Arizona uniform with "Gonzo 20" on his back.

They weren't given just to children - who even slugger Luis Gonzalez (known as Gonzo) said should get them - but instead everyone in attendance had an equal chance to get one via the scratcher cards the D-Backs have used for collectibles the past two years.

Are these collectibles or toys? A check of eBay shows the least any of the dolls that have been sold fetched $19.99. One went for $45.69. Another had a buy-it-now price of $40.95. The average price of those sold is $31.

Child's play?

By using scratcher cards - reserved for bobblehead dolls in 2002 and this season, and two Randy Johnson Hartland figurines this year - the Diamondbacks created a collectible. Give 'em to kids and who would have cared? Give fans the impression that they are collectibles - the Diamondbacks came right out and said they were collectibles - and people buy into it.

Anyone remember the line from an old "Saturday Night Live" spoof commercial: "because you'll buy anything"? Obviously, some collectors do.

But, even the Diamondbacks couldn't have anticipated - or believed - some of the craziness that occurred on Gonzo night.

With a promise of anonymity, one Diamondbacks employee told me: "I was just told that a patron had one stolen within about five minutes of walking in the ballpark. The people that told me said that people were hiding them so that they wouldn't be stolen."

Stolen? A fan who attended the game said people were examining their dolls for rips and tears, checking the tags and clothing. You know, making sure the piece was in mint condition, as in a collectible.

But a kids' doll? Bobbleheads didn't even get this much scrutiny.

What about the children who didn't get one? I've been told stories of several teary-eyed youngsters who didn't understand why the adult next to them got a Gonzo doll and they didn't. Try explaining that to a 4-year-old. It isn't a situation a parent should ever be put in.

Indeed, the Diamondbacks are far more marketing savvy than I am or ever will be.

I wonder how pitcher Jose Valverde would react to having his nickname changed from "Papa Grande" to "Cookie Monster"?

If the Diamondbacks decide there's something left in the bobblehead tank and go for a fourth year (they cut back from five the past two seasons to three this year), they have a perfect chance to give away some Baby Backs in 2004. How about bobbleheads of Brandon Webb, Matt Kata, Robby Hammock, Oscar Villarreal, Lyle Overbay, Alex Cintron, Chad Moeller, Andrew Good or Valverde? They could even make miniature sizes (get it, Baby Backs) that would be even less expensive for a sponsor to pay for.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/6890187.htm

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't like how some obnoxious sports writer calls Gonzo a Kid's Toy! :boo:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
that's sick...I hate how adults get obsessed with stuff like that

take beanie babies for example!

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Watch ... five years from now, that doll will be selling for $10.

Look at Brittania ... once a $1000 bear. Now I see them on ebay for around $10-$20.

The same thing is true for bobbleheads.

jediX

Reaction score
I don't even know why the heck bobbleheads even caught on.

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Hey, I collect 'em :smile:

Bobbleheads have been popular since the '60's. But MLB has become so greedy and full of itself that they're constantly releasing bobbleheads.

And just like the beanie babie downfall, the market is over-saturated.

What I do is just very slowly and gradually add to my collection. If I bought every 2003 Barry Bonds bobblehead at once, I'd be bankrupt :big_grin:

jediX

Reaction score
They've been around that long? Crazy... I'd never seen or heard of them until a couple years ago.

NikZane

Reaction score
Bobbleheads are scary and disturbing to me. I've never liked them.

No offence trekkie :smile: Very nice ship btw, the 1701E. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like Bobbleheads (especially Funko ones) because they make characters they'd never make action figures for. The only problem is my *&^% Quisp broke his antenna propeller off last night! GERRRRRRR... the piece shatteres, and I don't know where it is...

I mean, if you mean ones like MLB characters, fine, they stink. But to have Frankenberry, Mr. Magoo, Mighty Mouse, and other grand obscurities, I'll buy 'e,!

But, between you and me, push puppets? They're gonna be big!

jediX

Reaction score
The only one I have is Mario that I got for free when I bought a Gamecube a few years ago.

What the heck is a push puppet?