Gonzo and Rizzo

CarburetorJane

Reaction score
I was wondering when their friendship began. Was it ever implied or really starting out small, or did MCC just fuse them together?

wockawocka

Reaction score
I think it was just a crazy idea that MCC had! lol

Joggy

Reaction score
Gonzo and Rizzo's first interaction was in The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson. MCC was the first classic Muppet production after that. Even though they were not yet the pals they would be on MCC, there was something going on between them (amazed Gonzo: "... NO!" Rizzo: "Yes!")

My guess is that Dave and Steve had so much fun doing Wembley and Boober on Fraggle Rock that they immediately switched that to Gonzo and Rizzo after FR was over.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
They just play off of each other so well. Its like one of those classic comedy duos, except in this instance I don't think you can really tell who's the straight man, Rizzo or Gonzo. Or else they take turns at it.

beaker

Reaction score
Pepe & Rizzo

Muppets From Space debuted another cool spin on the comedic duo, this time introducing Pepe with Rizzo. Since then these two guys have been seen in a very cool Muppetism and some other stuff. I for one cant wait to see the duo of Pepe and Rizzo used more...as also Pepe and Gonzo would also make a great team.

BigSPEEGS

Reaction score
Originally posted by Skeeter Muppet
They just play off of each other so well. Its like one of those classic comedy duos, except in this instance I don't think you can really tell who's the straight man, Rizzo or Gonzo. Or else they take turns at it.

The great thing about them is that there's no straight man, although they can both play it straight if they really have to. :smile:

-SPEEGS

Joggy

Reaction score
Re: Pepe & Rizzo

Originally posted by beaker
as also Pepe and Gonzo would also make a great team.
I beg to differ... Gonzo and Pepe hosted I Love Muppets together. I'm not sure what everybody else says, but I found their interaction very boring and too easy. It was just Pepe's plain "okay" lines and that was all.

"Pepe, you are interrupting a BBC special."
"The BBC?! This means I get paid okay?"

I think Gonzo's been less funny ever since they rebuilt the puppet. He has absolutely no eye focus now and that was such an important element of his comic wit...

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Jog,

Exactly,
Whats with the new Puppet ?

Look at his eyelids, They are like to bi fopr his eyes, His nose sticks all the way out and his mouth is just plain wrong.

I think they should go back to the Gonzo of the late 80's early 90's !

See ya

suggsy

Reaction score
Gonzo and Rizzo makes sense. They are classic TMS characters and neither were performed by Henson or Oz. There has been a deliberate attempt to move Gonzo front and center since MCC. He was always the third banana behind Jim and Frank.

I think Frank Oz's limited involvement has hurt the Muppets even more than Henson's passing. When Jim was alive, Kermit was such the center that all of Jim's other characters were more bit players, even Rowlf. So without Jim, you feel the loss of the one character. But frank has Fozzie, Piggy AND Animal, three of the most important characters. I understand why Frank isn't as involved (He's made like FOUR Steve Martin movies and he doesn't even have to perform for Yoda anymore) but he was always the most natural comic performer and his loss is more keenly felt.