Golden Globes - What's the Point?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
The BAFTA's are British and the Oscars are American and they both kind of blur the lines a bit, but the Golden Globe Award is an accolade bestowed by Hollywood Foreign Press Association recognizing excellence in film and television, both domestic and foreign. I don't really see a problem with them unless one is a xenophobe. Ha! :stick_out_tongue:

Truthfully, these award shows are more than just a pat on the back. They are no different than any of the numerous sports programs that show clips and blather on about sporting events. The commentary is mostly pointless, but it raises brand awareness and it provides money for advertisers. That's pretty much what these award shows are - public relations. It's big money. :insatiable:

At least the Globes will be made palatable by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler and the Oscars will be made very interesting by Seth Macfarlane. :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
the Oscars will be made very interesting by Seth Macfarlane. :eek:
You got that right. Guy does one movie and he's asked to do the one thing EVERYONE hates you for doing. I'm sure he'll fit into the "Way too controversial" category and not the "Not controversial enough" category.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
:sigh:

Seriously? We need yet ANOTHER awards show? Why? We already have the Daytime Emmys, Primetime Emmys, Oscars, Grammys, American Music Awards, countless country music awards, People's Choice Awards, Teen's Choice Awards, Golden Globes...

NOW we need this so-called "National Board of Review Awards"? Really?
Oh yeah... I forgot the Screen Actors' Guild Awards... and I assume there's also awards for the Writers and Directors' guilds...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I still think it would be easier for EVERY body if there were only ONE awards show/ceremony that covers EVERY thing (acting, writing, directing, TV, movies, etc). I certainly feel sorry for the people who have to put all those shows together: stage managers, set decorators, lighting and sound personnel, etc...

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I still think it would be easier for EVERY body if there were only ONE awards show/ceremony that covers EVERY thing (acting, writing, directing, TV, movies, etc). I certainly feel sorry for the people who have to put all those shows together: stage managers, set decorators, lighting and sound personnel, etc...
There are too many award shows, but each one caters to a different market and all of them help the industry. That means actors, directors, writers, studios and even the stagehands behind the scenes that put them on. An award win can give more obscure projects the boost they need in the secondary market. I think the People's Choice awards are kind of stupid because that's basically reflected by the box office. I wouldn't call for them to end it. Like the Country Music Awards, I simply don't watch. :stick_out_tongue:

I enjoy that the Globes take more of a casual tone. It's basically a dinner party with lots of alcohol. I also like the tradition of the Oscars. It doesn't really matter to me who wins. I still haven't seen "The Artist" and don't really plan on seeing it any time soon. Still, it's just a whole lot of fun.

I guess a lot of cinema fans enjoy these award shows like Muppet fans enjoy seeing a bunch of Muppets all together in the same room. That's the excitement and the appeal. I can't get enough group shots of Muppets. I only wish they had several awards specials every year. :embarrassed:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why do we need ANOTHER Oscars ceremony, purely for what the nominees are wearing to the ceremony? That's pretty much one of the only things the media cares about at the REAL Oscars: what the nominees are wearing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's not forget that the Golden Globes also does television. It's not just movies... and quite frankly, the Golden Globes gets one thing right where the Oscars gets wrong. They separate drama and comedy into their own category. Why that's so novel that the Oscars refuses to do it is beyond me. It's nice to see a fun movie win something, rather than get over looked because it isn't about war atrocities or depressing drug addicts/alcoholics.

snichols1973

Reaction score
:sigh:

Seriously? We need yet ANOTHER awards show? Why? We already have the Daytime Emmys, Primetime Emmys, Oscars, Grammys, American Music Awards, countless country music awards, People's Choice Awards, Teen's Choice Awards, Golden Globes...

NOW we need this so-called "National Board of Review Awards"? Really?

And then there's the Tony Awards, given for Broadway performances (with most of the theatres in NYC), and the Obies for Off-Broadway and Off-Off Broadway performances (many of which are located in NYC).

Isn't there some kind of award for significant nationwide theatrical performances in one of the other 49 states that occur outside the greater NYC area?