Godzilla Retires!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Looks like after 50 years of mayhem and property damage the helpless, screaming citizens of Tokyo will finally be getting some relief....CNN is reporting that Toho Studios - the producers of the Godzilla franchise - are planning to shelve the Godzilla films after this year's finale due to slumping box office sales in Japan.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/04/film.goodbye.godzilla.ap/

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
"Without a person acting as Godzilla, it would just be animation," Kiridoshi said. "That's no different from Hollywood's 'Jurassic Park.' "
But they made money.

I wasn't against the re-make a few years ago, the one with the giant CGI Godzilla. But, even better, I liked the Taco Bell commercial with the chihuaua saying, "Heeere Leezard Leezard Leezard!"

tomahawk

Reaction score
This does make me a little sad :cry: . He was always my favorite movie monster.

crazy ernie

Reaction score
Poor Godzilla, the recent films would have been better sucesses if they ACTUALLY released them in theaters here in america with a bigger marketing campaign. **** you GINO!!!!

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Now Hulk is the only other destructive green monster for me to idolise.

:frown:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
crazy ernie said:
Poor Godzilla, the recent films would have been better sucesses if they ACTUALLY released them in theaters here in america with a bigger marketing campaign. **** you GINO!!!!
Most of the films have not done well enough in North America to warrant a wide release. Toho makes most of it's money in Japan and the audience there has been reduced to hard-core fans and kids.

This has happened before...in fact it happens every 10-15 years it seems. Toho has indicated they are open to having someone come in and reboot Godzilla and do something different and new in a few years.