Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Those three are undoubtedly in. I'm very disappointed Rick doesn't want to work anymore, but that's his choice.

We're going to have to have a "Pass the torch" movie, though. That's what the original actors want, that's what the writers want, that's what we're going to get. I don't see a movie where the older actors are in the same capacity they were 30 years ago. Indiana Jones tried it and failed on that level, even lampshading the concept of the film series being picked up by his son.

Passing the torch is hardly even a new concept. Extreme Ghostbusters did it. Even Filmation did it with their Ghost Busters, a decade before EGB. If done right, I can see that working.

Besides, if anything else, changing it up doesn't put the movie at risk of being a remake of Ghostbusters, or even Ghostbusters 2, which was quite a deal of "getting the gang back together." A GB 3 would be that without a new class.

What I want to see is a plotline where the Ghostbusters were in business all this time, but are getting increasingly (as Murtaugh of Lethal Weapon said) too old for this [stuff]. The big break up before GB2 worked more or less, but I like how it completely contradicted the cartoon where they were ALWAYS in business. The movies refuse the cartoons ever exist, while the cartoon took everything that happened in the movies into canon. The nerve of GB2, right?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, the rumors have finally turned into preprepreproduction plans.

Just Don't expect this to be Ghostbusters 3.

While the idea of an all woman team doesn't bug me, the idea of it being a reboot does. I was kind of hoping for the girl team to either be mentored by the surviving Busters or inspired by them and sharing the continuity of the original films.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm mixed on this. It sucks that it's a reboot instead, but then again, making a Ghostbusters sequel right now with only three of the Busters would be as crazy as making a Blues Brothers sequel with only one-- *does best Mr. Plinkett impression* Oooohhhh. :stick_out_tongue:

But I've heard that any of the surviving members might make an appearance if they're willing to dust off the Proton Packs one more time.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm willing to accept the fact that no matter what they do, no one's going to be happy with it. But what I'm annoyed by is the fact the fans wanted a GB3 so bad that they continuously egged everybody on, even though they wouldn't have been happy with the result. I'm glad the video game was well done enough to get a good reception and acted as a stand in for the third film. Long held over sequels to films, no matter how much work goes into them, rarely get a good reception. When it happened with Tron, it annoyed the heck out of me, since Tron was mainly famous for not doing well.

That said, I don't see why they can't have a loose enough connection to the original that it's an intercontinuity semi-sequel. Best case scenario, I liked the idea of a next generation GB with the original Busters as mentors, even though they already did that with Extreme Ghostbusters. Which I honestly don't get the hate for. It was a well done show, kept continuity to the original series, and even toned down Slimer to his season 1 personality. The show was actually better than the second half of the original series! They should have done a punched up, live action version of that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd be more pumped about this film if it wasn't for one thing. Not so much it's an all female group. I applaud that. Not because it's a long delayed follow up film, though those usually manage to have massive problems.

It's that it has to be a reboot. A total continuity reboot when it doesn't have to be. There's talk of even having the surviving actors cameo as other characters.

Now, if it were my film, first off, I'd replace Kate McKinnon with Aubrey Plaza. Maybe get her to play a less goth version of Kyle Griffin. But what I'd do with the plot is to have the original Ghostbusters long retired, but they licensed their brand out for franchising. I'd see two of the women being struggling science professors who are about to lose their jobs due to cutbacks and for teaching weird paranormal based classes. Taking a chance, they buy their city's franchise rights to the Ghostbusters with the last money they have, purely based on Melissa McCarthy's character's weird premonitions. Ones that Kristen Wiig's character is slightly skeptical about, but plays along because she feels this is the long mental slide of Melissa's character, being under-appreciated in her scientific field. No sooner do they open the struggling business as a gathering storm of a ghostly plague starts to trickle into their city. Overwhelmed, they hire the other two women in the cast, and either a surly or obliviously idiotic young male intern to take the Janine role. One of the new employees being a frustrated inventor/tinkerer who redevelops the original Ghostbusting equipment and acts as a younger version of Egon. Maybe one who was a huge fan and read all of his scientific publications.

Along the way, there would be room for cameos from Ackroyd and Hudson in the form of how too and "welcome to the Ghostbusters LLC family" videos.

At least, something like that.

That said, the casting is solid. I'm glad that, while she was considered, Cecily Strong is no where near the cast of this thing. She's painfully unfunny in everything she does (Girlfriends Talk Show especially), so much so that they replaced her with someone from The Daily Show in the Weekend update. And it made all the difference.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now this is getting complicated...

Apparently, there's another Ghostbusters project at Sony, one with the traditional male cast members and headed up by Akroyd. Just with younger actors like the one of the original GB3 concepts.

Now I'm totally confused.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Now this is getting complicated...

Apparently, there's another Ghostbusters project at Sony, one with the traditional male cast members and headed up by Akroyd. Just with younger actors like the one of the original GB3 concepts.

Now I'm totally confused.

Welcome to the long and confusing road of production development heck that GB3 has gone through. There's a very excellent article chronicling the entire run at FilmForce, you'd have to search for it though as it's no longer on their front page of current headlines.

Waiting to hear from Big Kev/Da Foz on what he thinks about these updates.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The funny thing is, both are being considered. It may just be a race to see which one gets to the wire faster, or ... uh... both could very well get made. Everything up to this point was actually less confusing. Which is saying something.

Still fail to see why they just don't make an animated DTV with the animated series voice actors.