Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

Yorick

Reaction score
Well said about live action He-Man, Bill Murray, and the new Conan.
Well, that's cuz they're the only other Ghost Busters around! Why can't anyone but them and the producers of the movie know that they both made an homage to an Earlier film us 80's kids aren't prithee to?
True :smile:
A next generation one makes sense ONLY because these guys are pretty much up there in age. Ernie Hudson seems like he can still give an energetic performance (saw an episode of Psych on Ion a few weeks ago where he was the partner's father), but these guys are well into their 60's! Egon's like 66 as of this post. I could see a one last big battle type of movie... a getting the gang back together after all these years type film... but something similar to Extreme Ghostbusters with younger kids going out, fighting, and having the older guys be there and teach them on sounds like the most viable.
Well said again. That's cool that you can imagine it working without younger Ghostbusters, (that would be most enjoyable to me - just the four 1984 Ghostbusters, because if they don't plan to make more after the third film, then one more big job together would be cool! I mean, it's not like they do a lot of running, usually...though the stairs will be even rougher this time around! But I agree with you that it's probably going to be with a younger generation, too...but I just think they'd do it more for commercial reasons that a practical one.
Unless they went ahead with the CGI animated movie. The characters can be as young as they want there, like the comic books.
Hmm...if they ever get to the point where that's the only way it could come out, I wouldn't be against it! They could make GB and 1/2! :smile: an 80's adventure that takes place after the 1st film! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well said again. That's cool that you can imagine it working without younger Ghostbusters, (that would be most enjoyable to me - just the four 1984 Ghostbusters, because if they don't plan to make more after the third film, then one more big job together would be cool! I mean, it's not like they do a lot of running, usually...though the stairs will be even rougher this time around! But I agree with you that it's probably going to be with a younger generation, too...but I just think they'd do it more for commercial reasons that a practical one.
I'm open to that idea, just as long as it's the will of the original writers. I'm sure it is, though.

However, I can't help but think it would be too similar to the last 2 episodes of Extreme Ghostbusters where the original ones came back for Thanksgiving (or whatever) and were cold to the younger ones that idolized them.

I'd almost see a situation (for lack of a better example) like Ultimate Muscle, where a new evil emerges and they're too out of shape to keep up with it, and have to recruit some new busters as an emergency.

Still, I wish we'd get a cartoon OVA or something based on the original cartoon series.

Yorick

Reaction score
I'm open to that idea, just as long as it's the will of the original writers. I'm sure it is, though.
Speaking of the original writers, I also want this GB3 to be written by Dan and Harold, not anyone else. I keep hearing the writers of The Office will be doing it. And I don't think that style of comedy is true to the original film (or the 2nd).

And that sounds like a funny Ultimate Muscle episode :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And that sounds like a funny Ultimate Muscle episode :smile:

That's basically the premise of the show. Though, the manga really drives that point home. I like the anime series and all, but I think the original manga was written much better. It's actually darker... much, much darker. And that was not at all played for laughs.

Speaking of the original writers, I also want this GB3 to be written by Dan and Harold, not anyone else. I keep hearing the writers of The Office will be doing it. And I don't think that style of comedy is true to the original film (or the 2nd).
That's probably a rumor or something. I'm sure the original writers have their own plans.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Aykroyd and everyone else who isn't a petulant old man in an artistic state has finally decided, heck with Murray, we're doing it anyway.

The question of whether Bill Murray will participate in "Ghostbusters 3" appears to be answered -- again. While speaking with Metro about plans for the sequel, Dan Aykroyd confirmed Murray will not be involved in the film, which Aykroyd is "confident [will] be in production in the next year."
"It's sad but we're passing it on to a new generation," Aykroyd told Metro of Murray's lack of involvement. "'Ghostbusters 3' can be a successful movie without Bill. My preference would be to have him involved but at this point he doesn't seem to be coming and we have to move on. It's time to make the third one."
The new generation concept doesn't seem too bad, as already done as that was with a cartoon series... mainly because we'll just keep getting jokes about how it was almost 30 years since the first one and the actors are 30 years older when the film's in production.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... I sort of have the same jadedness towards Bill Murray's involvement—or lack there of—or if he decides to show up at the last minute to be part of the shoot like with Meatballs—that I have towards wrestling storylines.

Oh! Peter Venkman won't be in GB3?! Quell surprese. :rolleyes:
Just make the movie and let us know when it's finally finished and being released, that's all I want at this point.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know... I sort of have the same jadedness towards Bill Murray's involvement—or lack there of—or if he decides to show up at the last minute to be part of the shoot like with Meatballs—that I have towards wrestling storylines.
Eh... I love Bill, but he's in that "Je suis un artiste!" phase that gets to a lot of aging celebrities. I still love how he tries to weasel out of the fact he did 2 Garfield movies saying he thought the Cohen Bros wrote it, when all he had to do was read dialogue in a recording room and get a paycheck anyway. His new indie films are great, but it's time to pay respect to the early part of your career. I'd love to see a scene written where he's married to Sigorne Weaver's character and doesn't want to get involved, but the baby from the second film is all grown up and leaps at the opportunity.

Or some sly passive aggressive statement about "We just can't get in touch with Peter anymore. It's like he hates us."

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------
So who IS in? Ackroyd obviously...what about Moranis? Ramis? any of the other supporting cast? Who's scripting? Who's directing?

Why yes, I am too danged lazy to go hunting. My eyes hurt. Humor me.
---------------

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
If Moranis isn't in it I will be highly upset. Louis is such a great character.

I'm sensing a plot similar to the recent video game...

Yorick

Reaction score
Rick is retired, I've heard. He is great, indeed! But if Ernie, Harold and Dan are in, that's still very good, since they're all great, too! :smile: Of course, no Dan = no GB3. But please make it "one more big ghostbusting assignment with the original 4 (or three of them)" instead of "passing the torch".