Ghostbusters 3 finally on the way? You decide!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Or babies.

I still can't get over the Powerpuff Girls remake being nitpicked to death as if season 6 didn't already ruin the franchise. Meanwhile I stewed over that excuse for a movie with a title called Underdog for branding reasons and using up a license that Disney should never have bought in the first place and everyone looked at me like I was the guy in his underwear on the street saying the world was ending. I mean, I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought so, since the internet's favorite cartoon writer (only when he's working on DC based cartoons, though) Paul Dini gave a thoughtful, insightful, but none the less annoyed and ticked off summation of that movie.

But here's the thing. He never once sent death threats or made it about his own personal agenda. He gave the movie the thrashing it deserved without resorting to nastiness or pretending to be the victim of an imaginary conspiracy theory. As for me, I made a small fuss and didn't see it. In the end, all I can say about the movie is a "don't like? Don't watch. Enjoy some Ecto-Cooler." In the end, it's a different continuity anyway, so it doesn't matter. Only reason this one was rushed to the finish line is because of the development purgatory the third GB movie was going through. Bill Murray was being obstinate about it, but...it's so hard to be mad at Bill Murray. You can say "you did both Garfield movies and you found an idiotic excuse for it" all you want, it's still Bill Murray. Then when things looked like they were getting traction, Ramis died. And frankly, I don't think the fans would have liked that movie anyway. It's not Mad Max Fury Road here where the film got great reception decades after the last one. I'd say it's more like Tron Legacy or Crystal Skull. It would thematically be the same movie but they'd have some odd problem with it. Like half the Jurassic Park fanbase that hates the (actually good) World movie but pretends the second and third films weren't crap.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, I for one don't believe babies are born good, lol. They're born wanting what they want when they want it. It's survival and it makes sense when you're helpless. But some babies never do grow out of it. And the only place they're tolerated is the Internet.
It would thematically be the same movie but they'd have some odd problem with it.
Indeed. They say, "A sequel would have been better," but we all know they'd never really be satisfied unless the original movie was literally just repackaged with a new title (Hi, Force Awakens, hehe).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
One thing that I've noticed about the new ghostbusters movie is that people seem to be picking on the graphics quality. While I'll agree (and i think i said this before I don't remember) that some of the style choices do look a little too clean (more...futuristic and less home built I guess?), I don't get peoples complaints that the CGI looks bad. I mean...the original movies had some pretty cheesy and terrible CGI effects. The CGI itself looks fine to me in comparison :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think at this point they're just trying to pick apart anything they can to find ways to hate on it. Though I'd at least I'd count that as a valid enough complaint compared to some of the "WAAAAHHH! It hurtz my chyldhud!" crap.

I think picking on CGI is something to expect yet something that's disappointing. Practical effects are usually more interesting, but those can be absolutely crappy and cheap looking too. I'd say the original films had more interesting effects, but if they had the technology back then, they'd be mostly CGI anyway. Though I really miss Slimer being a puppet, considering what site this is.

I'm disappointed with certain internet critics doing the pledge to not see or review the movie. While I could respect that, I think they're being belligerent about it. That said, Brad Jones gave a hilarious comeback that I can't post here because I still have trouble posting links instead of direct video and it's very NSFW for language. You can find it on his channel under "Brad Refuses to review an Upcoming Remake."

The movie in question is a remake of Dog[Screwer]. He vows he'd rather spend his time seeing the new Ghostbusters movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
So apparently Ray Stanz himself approves. Then of course this is the judgement of someone that did "Legends of Oz" and "Christmas with the Kranks." :stick_out_tongue:

NAAAH. He's one of the guys who basically created the concept and wrote the original movie and its original treatments back when John Belushi was involved. I hope his approval means the movie is good, after all, it was his original movie.

Of course, this Ghostbusters movie is a first! It's the first Ghostbusters movie to have a toyline co-current to the film sold in mainstream stores. Now, not all of it is kid friendly. They have action figures the same style and pricepoint as the Matty Collectors line, but there's also some more kid friendly blind bagged minifigures and plush toys.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That said, Brad Jones gave a hilarious comeback that I can't post here because I still have trouble posting links instead of direct video and it's very NSFW for language. You can find it on his channel under "Brad Refuses to review an Upcoming Remake."
Yeah I saw that, lol. Definitely NSFW, but undeniably hilarious.

I don't know if you heard, Aykroyd's has some health trouble this weekend. Hope everything's OK.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah I saw that, lol. Definitely NSFW, but undeniably hilarious.
And he got crap for it because he was doing a tongue in cheek parody of James Rowlfe's video. Even said he got a comment saying that it's somehow as tasteless as making a 9/11 joke the day after. Which is pretty indicative of the absolute obnoxiousness of the film's detractors. Then again, one of the responses to the response videos (that is "bully victims") is a photo of a morbidly obese woman with pink hair flipping off. As in "all feminists are ugly fatsos that I don't wanna bang."

It's a friggin movie, people. I didn't feel in the same universe as this betrayed when they ruined Underdog. And by all means that totally destroyed the point of the character to make a throwaway, watered down kiddy flick.

That said...uh...anyone actually see the Ecto-Cooler in stores? I really hope this isn't one of those "only available in huge orders online" cases like Surge or Crystal Pepsi.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dan Akroyd is getting bullied by the internet for giving the new movie a good review.
Don't ya just love when the guy who created the franchise gets crap from fans of the original movie he created for giving the new version of the thing he created a stamp of approval?

I'm completely over these butthurt little fanboys whining that their precious childhood is being destroyed by a movie they can completely avoid, ignore, and won't have any baring on the original if they don't let it. Did they really think they'd like the Ghostbusters 3 movie that never happened instead? Of course not. Difference is, Girlstbusters is non-canon. A third movie, if it sucked, would have baring on the original movies. That's why the Star Wars prequels get so much hate. Not that they aren't lousy in their own rights (though I do like the second and third one), but the fact that things got explanations that didn't need them did kinda wreck the framing of the originals.

To me, Girlstbusters is just as alternate universe as the comics, the cartoon, and whatever else there is out there.

Still...where the heck is that Ecto-Cooler? I'd forgive an Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Rob Schnieder, David Spade Ghostbusters team for that stuff. If only I can find it in stores.

And yes. We should all be thankful we didn't get Adam Sandler farting his way through a truly juvenile GB remake. Sony's the film's owners, that could CLEARLY be a possibility.