Getting to know the Sesame Street Animators

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Okay, here's something that should help us all dig into our subconscious.

This is a thread that pays homage to the beloved, innovative, spectacular animations of Sesame Street.

This is an ongoing project I've started doing since June, for myself and the hard core SS fans. I'm trying to provide information on who did (nearly) animated sequence for the show. I need confirmation on a lot of these.

JIM HENSON
•Claymation series for first season
•The King of Eight

PAUL AND SANDRA FIERLINGER
•Teeny Little Superguy
•Six Soccer Socks
•Using a map to find a place to park

VINCE COLLINS
•Pinball numbers series
•Magician makes birds morph into fish

SALLY CRUIKSHANK
•Above It All (I Love To Fly)
•In With The In Crowd
•I'm Curious
•Part Of the Whole

JANET PERLMAN
•"That elephant just won't listen."

GAHAN WILSON
•"I made you another Igor."
•Space orchestra
•Alligator and elephant
•Animals escape from a building and encounter an ice cream salesman (that's how I remember it)
•The Bridgekeeper series ("No one crosses this bridge by me, unless they can answer my questions three.")

JOHN KORTY (his animations look like Eric Carle illustrations)
•"do you want part of my orange?"
•Irritated bird and the three boxes
•What's inside the street, according to a little bird

RICHARD CONDIE (who made a killer cartoon called THE BIG SNIT)
(I have no idea what he did, but I heard he did some work for the show)

KAREN AQUA
•Boy's book comes to life
•Dog dances between a girl and an alligator-headed figure

DEREK LAMB
•It Ain't Bad to Get Mad
•Simple Simon and the re-arranged animals ("Now I know what's wrong! Sheep don't wear boots!")

CRAIG BARTLETT
•Arnold uses his imagination

UNKNOWN (I must find out his/her identity!) (this is a list of sequences which I could swear were done by the same person/s)
•Snacks on Parade series
•The Carrot
•Me And My M
•The Noble Ostrich
•If You've Lost Your L ...
•Famous Inventions series
•Dr. Annie Eyeball series
•Dr. Nancy Einstein series
•The Cat That Hated Rain

UNKNOWN (various artists)
•Ten Fingers, Ten Race Cars, Ten Spies series (this is SO psycho delic)
•"MOM! There's an alligator in my room!"
•a cat struggles to open a can of cat food while his mistress is gabbing on the phone
•The Alligator King (and others in that series, from the LP [/b]The Count Counts[/b])
•Marty the chair looks around the dark room for his glasses (I think Marty Robinson did this voice!)
•Wanda The Witch, nancy The Nanny Goat etc.
•two hippie kids try to wake up a big house plant
•Henry the ape calls Muzby's Treetop Flowers with an emergency
•two apes scratch each other's backs (I swear this must be from the UK, since the music at the end is Rule Brittania)

Now I know I'm a geek. :big_grin: This list is far from complete, and I know there must be at least two or three animation fanatics who can help me out by correcting my mistakes and adding to the list.

Everybody post away!!

scarecroe

Reaction score
Awesome project! Good luck with it.

I was under the impression that also Jim did a lot of the quick-edit colored paper cut-out stuff too like what we see in TimePiece.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here are some contemporary ones:

Mo Williems (who brought us the Cartoon Network series Sheep in the Big city):

Suzie Kabloozie
Unhappy artest (a tale told in rhyme in which this artist is miserable, and then he kicks paint on a canvas, making him laugh)
amonug others
His web page is www.sheepinthebigcity.com

John R. Dilworth (who brought us another CN cartoon, Courage the cowardly dog) along with Stretch Pictures:
Noodles and Ned series (incidentially, this was a cartoon films series before Sesame Street bought a new series of cartoons featuring the dou!)

Their webpage is at www.stretchfilms.com

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Wow, man, I'm really impressed. How were you able to learn so much about the animators?

MIKEB97

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
Awesome project! Good luck with it.

I was under the impression that also Jim did a lot of the quick-edit colored paper cut-out stuff too like what we see in TimePiece.
Jim also did the psychedelic numbers that went from 1 to 10 duirng the first season. He also did a cartoon about the number 12 with rocks in a desert. Didn't Jim create "the Queen of Six"? The animation in that one is similar to "the King of 8". I wonder who did "Capital I" and "Lowercase N"?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ol' Buddy Bert
Wow, man, I'm really impressed. How were you able to learn so much
about the animators?
I started watching Sesame street in 1986, roughly, when I was about 3. I have had the ambition to work in the field of animation since I first attended Spike and Mike's Festival of Animation in 1994, and have been regularly attending ever since. My video collection has also expanding over the years. It now includes Spike and Mike's Festival of Animation and Sick and Twisted, The International Tournee of Animation, National Film Board of Canada, Paul Driessen, Bruno Bozzetto, and many others.

What did they do besides Sesame Street? Let me think ... this is a list of releases that I saw, which made me recognize the artists' Sesame Street work. I have also given out several more links that I have found over the years.

PAUL AND SANDRA FIERLINGER
•It's So Nice To Have A Wolf Around The House (short subject)

SALLY CRUIKSHANK
•Quasi shorts series
AWN site

JOHN KORTY
Twice Upon A Time (1983 feature film featuring the voices of Paul Frees, Lorenzo Music and others)

MO WILLEMS
•Iddy Biddy Beat Boy (short subject)

VINCE COLLINS
My professor recently showed the class an educational short entitled Animation. Those pinball sequences came into my head.
I also remember this one called Malice in Wonderland.

PS. Drtooth - thanks for the artistmike link!! I forgot about those! And thanks to the rest of you! Keep posting!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, these ones are guesses, but:

Pink Panther's K: Depatie Freeling Studios

Jugheads' J: Flimation? They did the cartoon version of the Archies at the time, so that's my guess.

Voice of Jughead: Howard Morris

And as for the little Artist Mike cartoons (the ones with the Aliens) I think Danny Mann did voices for those.

Danny Mann has been in numerous cartoons such as J. Gander Hooter on Darkwing duck and Hector on Heathcliff and the Catallac Cats!

here's a partial listing of his voice credits: voices.fuzzy.com/actor.idc?actor_id=244

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya,

Great project idea...I think it would work well in some articles section at MC when the thing's complete!! What you all thinkin?

FOZ

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
I think Filmation did the Jughead "J" segment, the Superman "S" segment, and the Batman & Robin cartoon segments. I'm not sure, though.