Galavant "Thoughts"

Drtooth

Reaction score
It was indeed supposed to be a miniseries. I still think that Fox was an odd venue, and only because Seth MacFarline produced it. It really should have been on PBS.

I do not mind that Brooklyn Nine Nine is on Sunday. Just that other sitcom that doesn't look that good (which will probably get canned early anyway) really bugs me. BNN is actually a very funny show with a great cast. While it took me a while to appreciate Andy Samberg, I'm glad I did. This show is easily his best work. I'm glad it's not opposite stuff I like to watch anymore.

Strangely, Bob's Burgers has a 9:30 PM slot on Cartoon Network. Unfortunately (but understandably) it's just last season's episodes. I think that may change, as American Dad reruns on AS are pretty current. They had one of the 3 last Fox episodes rerun last week, just a week after it aired on their former home channel. Bob's Burgers is, at heart, a cable show like all Loren Bouchard shows. I admit that Fox is a weird fit for it. I'd hope to think that if Fox screws this series, CN would continue it. Personally, I'm a little more annoyed that the show's been dumped to MOD season sets with little or no bonus features. Which sucks, since they did a bang up job season 1.

Anyway, while we're on the subject.... I HATE CBS's Thursday Night Football, and how there's probably going to be one heck of a wait for The Millers. But what's really sad (in a funny way) is NBC's loser line up. I can't believe they were that choosy to cancel the Michael J Fox show. And really... did Dan Harmon take a deuce on the desk of the head of NBC? He must've really burned bridges for NBC to get rid of a show people actually tuned in for. And no competition from Big Bang this time, either.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I watched the first episode of Selfie and it was weird. Half the show was really poor (cliched slang jokes, a weird gag about "Bad Romance", strange character motivation), but half the show had promise. There is something to the idea of a show that pokes fun at both the over-involved in social media crowd along with the anti-social media crowd, which I think it is eventually going to move towards. I don't know if the show is ever going to get there, but I think there's some potential.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Anyone else watch the second episode of black ish, because it was not good, nearly terrible. There were no african american jokes or references at all, seriously I expected to be paraded with sterotypes, secondly the episode was not what a family sitcom should be at all, the last episode was this rating.

This episode was rated this.

That is not family at all, they turned this episode into an adult sitcom, seriously, I will totally expect a massive ratings drop for next week, because parents will not want to watch this show with their kids ever again, terrible choice for a second episode or an episode at all, I am disappointed, but will hope that this was a one time thing, and watch black ish again.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
In my opinion, just because something is considered a "family" sitcom doesn't mean it's for all ages. No one in the world would have sat down with their kids and watched Married With Children, but that was a family comedy. I don't think there is space on the current prime-time schedule for a children-oriented family show, like Full House or Step by Step. Those shows have been moved out to Disney and Nick.

Anyway, I thought the second episode wasn't anything special, but it had its moments.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
In my opinion, just because something is considered a "family" sitcom doesn't mean it's for all ages. No one in the world would have sat down with their kids and watched Married With Children, but that was a family comedy. I don't think there is space on the current prime-time schedule for a children-oriented family show, like Full House or Step by Step. Those shows have been moved out to Disney and Nick.

Anyway, I thought the second episode wasn't anything special, but it had its moments.
How about all 3 shows before black ish? The Middle, The Goldberges, and Modern Family are all family sitcoms, not child oriented, but family shows, and I am not asking for another Full House, I am just saying they went a little too far.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
How about all 3 shows before black ish? The Middle, The Goldberges, and Modern Family are all family sitcoms, not child oriented, but family shows, and I am not asking for another Full House, I am just saying they went a little too far.
I suppose we just have different tastes here, not every show has to be meant for all ages in my opinion. It's a little too early to judge if this more raunchy episode is going to be typical of the show's content over the long run, but if it is, then I suppose that's why it's on at 9:30 instead of earlier in the programming block.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I felt that the issues in that episode about sexual urges and body shame were handled quite tastefully. Plus, I don't find it a bad thing that Blackish probably won't always put racial issues front and center; as a matter of fact, the topics in said episode are really relateable even to white people.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A "family" show is a show that's for all ages; you guys are thinking of "Domcoms," (domestic comedies) which are shows about families. That's the difference.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I felt that the issues in that episode about sexual urges and body shame were handled quite tastefully. Plus, I don't find it a bad thing that Blackish probably won't always put racial issues front and center; as a matter of fact, the topics in said episode are really relateable even to white people.
I'm glad they're handling tough issues in a mature yet insanely hilarious way. I don't think I've laughed as much and as hard watching something intentionally funny for some time. Usually it takes something pretty stupid or weird to get me that out of breath. The line about Hellen Miran killed me.

I give this show lots of credit for not soft pawing around on any subject. I've said before, I actually hate the insincere, fake, happy Midwestern family shows. They have nothing to say and when they do, it's heavy handed and misguided. My hatred of the horrible sitcoms Disney forced down the public's throats in 2002 is legendary on this site. I still don't understand why According to Jim kept getting renewed, especially the last 2 or 3 seasons that were shuffled off in marathon form in summer (which usually signals a show being cancelled... but 3 years... ). ATJ is the most offensive sitcom I've ever seen. Worse than anything ever on Nick or Disney channel. I'd rather be tied down and forced to watch a full season of Rules of Engagement than one ATJ.

But I'll agree to this. I'm sure the PTV and groups with the name "Mom" in them that don't have a single mom on board, but rather Machiavellian political/religious leaders will fume all over this one. There's a lot of bravery in the discussions on this show. It's tackling real life issues, and real life isn't the perfectly squeaky clean Leave it to beaver world some want it to be. it wasn't even that when LTB was on.

Muppet Master

Reaction score

When I was 4 years old, my family and I would all sit down and watch Married with Children a lot, what are you talking about, that show rarely had anything like what we saw in Black Ish, I expect this to be a one time thing, but the whole thing was terrible, I mean when The Goldberges had a synopsis like this they did not go all out and talk about it, Black Ish went and said stuff I do not even think is allowed to be said on TV, and stuff I could not write on this forum. While it was funny, I guess, it was a little too much for me I guess.