Funniest SST Moments

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Oh my goooosh! Everything with Frank performing Grover is HILLARIOUS!! I think that Grover is one of Frank's all time best characters I thought everything he did was amazing, from back in the day doing Kermit sketches to this season with "Outrageous Makeover"! He never ceases to amaze me.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
funny moments

5 favorite funny moments brought to you by the number 5:

In random order:

1) Kermit's News Flash with Rapunzel. The ending is a scream! Poor Rapunzel loses her hair, the Prince loses his horsie, and poor Kermit almost loses his patience.
Prince: "OH, SHUT UP!!!"

2) Harvey Kneeslapper- X marks the spot. Fat Blue gets a double whammy- First gets hit with the spot, then with the X that marks it. And Harvey laughing hysterically at the camera. Unfortunately Harvey never was quite so funny after this.

3) C cartoon. C is for "CAKE". Our friend sees Clarence bring in a birthday cake, but Clarence stuffs the whole cake in his mouth, lit candles and all. "It's my boithday!
Happy boithday to me!"

4) Ernie counts to 10, while Bert watches. Ol' Bert is being tortured as Ernie tries counting to 10, and starts over at the slightest distraction. Ernie finally reaches 10, much to Bert's relief. But then Ernie's attempt to recite the alphabet pushes Bert over the edge, causing a major psychotic freak-out.

5) Ernie gets Bert's goat again playing with the volume knob on the radio. (Dig the groovy Joe Raposo tune playing!) Ernie turns the volume up and down. Bert comes over to complain that he can't hear himself think. So Ernie remedies the situation when he puts the volume knob on Bert and turns him off! Bert is still screaming (in silence) about Ernie's lack of consideration. But the look on Ernie's face that he can tune out Bert is priceless. Never saw a smile that big!:stick_out_tongue:

Thanks to the good folks who posted these on youtube, and bringing back some great memories. Keep them coming!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Six dollar man News report skit! The part at the end where it goes haywire and explodes and stuff like that. I'm a sucker for malfunctioning robots.

Kiki

Reaction score
Fab thread idea! :smile:

-At the very end of 'Christmas Eve on SS' (after the credits) where Cookie ate all the leaves off the Xmas tree;

-That fantabulous music number, 'Dance myself to sleep' ("Ernie, the sheep are tap-dancing!!")

-That song w/ Ernie and Bert where Ernie sings to Bert "you are tired, very tired, well I don't mind if you are tired. If you're tired, I don't mind it, that's what friends are for!" etc. LOL!

-Grover. He soo-ttoally cracks me up! Frank Oz is HILERIOUS!

-Two Words: Don. Music. 'Nuff said!

Xerus

Reaction score
I always laughed at the skit where Grover finds an empty telephone booth and all these monsters keep cramming into it shouting, "AN EMPTY TELEPHONE BOOTH!" and Grover has to keep pushing them out.

And one where Guy Smiley goes on vacation in the jungle, but his loud voice keeps scaring the animals away. He tells his guide, "WELL THIS IS THE QUIETIST I EVER TALK!" Can you imagine what Guy sounds like when he's loud?

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
Ernie making Bert bald, Ernie impersonating Bert when he was home alone, Ernie calling Bert while he's visiting Bart, Ernie painted a silly portrait of Bert and the hip Jack be Nimble from the News Flash

ISNorden

Reaction score
My personal picks for Sesame Street's funniest moments would better be described in terms of sketch types, not specific segments; otherwise the list would end up with hundreds of entries that were much too hard to choose from!
  1. Almost anything from Bert and Ernie's early years, especially when Ernie used his twisted logic to explain behavior that Bert wondered about. (Fish in the cowboy hat, non-bath items in the bathtub, one piece of string reminding him of the next, etc.)
  2. Most of Kermit's early lectures, especially the ones which ended up with a monster or two ruining his visual aids. (His scientifically incorrect "frogs" lecture, though--the one that Bob ended up correcting--also sticks out in my mind.
  3. The earliest Sesame Street News Flashes, especially when they ended with Kermit in an embarrassing situation. (He's been caught in a baby carriage by Rumplestiltskin's sitter, blown offscreen by the Big Bad Wolf, and mistaken for Santa by the genuine article.)
  4. The earliest Grover the Waiter sketches, in which Mr. Johnson was the unreasonable character and Grover was genuinely trying to help. (Insisting that he can't eat alphabet soup without missing letters, or a sandwich plate that doesn't match a picture exactly? Sheesh, what a customer!)
  5. The "Lefty the Salesman" sketches, especially when Ernie is able to outsmart him and refuse the sales pitch.
  6. Prairie Dawn's pageants, especially when an actor flubbed a line or had trouble with the props.
  7. Oscar the Grouch's practical jokes on various cast members, especially poor Bob (the un-grouchiest human on the street).
  8. Harvey Kneeslapper's pranks, especially when they backfired (like the rigged closet of toys and the "give me 5" joy-buzzer moment).
  9. The Yip-Yip Aliens' wild attempts to identify different objects and creatures on Earth, with the help of an illustrated guidebook.
  10. The Two-Headed Monster's attempts to solve a conflict between its halves, usually in some way neither of them had thought of at first. (Wearing the boxes when no style of shoe in the store suited them both? Only on a TV show...)

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
Also I liked How Ernie said He did it againn and when Cookie Monster asked Wanna bite? To a depressed Ernie in the letter U skit.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
These are the ones I'm coming up with off the top of my head:

The little girl Joey singing "A-B-C-D-E-F-COOKIE MONSTER!" and Kermit's reaction.

Sesame Street Newsflash with Pinocchio- "I'm a thousand billion years old and I can lick Superman!" And the Newsflashes where Elmo decides he can "help" Kermit. (I LOVE SS Newsflashes!)

Ernie and Bert in general (I might add I have always loved "Dance Myself to Sleep.")

The episode where Big Bird convinces Telly to join his "rock" music tour, and they go all over Sesame street touring with their concert (complete with back-up singers who stood in back of Big Bird), and Telly has to carry the giant rock everywhere they go.

David's lecture on trees where at the end after he says trees are good for leaning against, he leans against the picture of the tree and falls right through it. (I think the noise he makes as he goes down does it for me.)

There Are Chickens in the Trees

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I love any moment with Ernie and Bert especially the Rhyming Game, when they make a snowman and Ernie gets upset and when they explore a pyramid.

I love it when Grover and Kermit are together, they make a great team, just like Ernie and Bert and their performers, Jim Henson and Frank Oz. It's clear they have a great relationship.

Don Music is very funny! I laugh when he bangs his head on the piano in a funny way and when he screams at Kermit, "BUT CANARIES AREN'T BLUE!" That makes me laugh every time!

Two-headed monster sketches are also very funny. Once again, two funny performers at their best with this character, Jerry Nelson and Richard Hunt.

Finally, Joey singing the Alphabet and saying "Cookie Monster!" and laughing and watching Kermit as this was happening. Makes me laugh every time I watch it!