Full-body costume puppets

DPuppets

Reaction score
Treelo said:
The Henson Workshop deserves much of the credit for the Sesame Street Live costumes designs. Henson built ALL of the SSL costumes until the early 90's when they began turning the work over to VEE. The costumes that are currently built by VEE are all based on the Muppet Workshop designs, with a few slight modifications and changes.
Not that they don't deserve some credit...I know for a fact looking at the original Bear costume and the one used for the travel show are much different. The one that travels in my opinion alot better.

Treelo

Reaction score
DPuppets said:
Not that they don't deserve some credit...I know for a fact looking at the original Bear costume and the one used for the travel show are much different. The one that travels in my opinion alot better.
VEE's touring Bears were all built by Henson. Over the years, VEE has rebuilt parts and replaced the fur, but the design and structure is still Henson.

I actually think the television Bear is much nicer than the touring versions. The TV Bear has many shades in his fur, while the tour version is just one flat color (to save on expenses). The touring Bear also lacks other special features, like the dark blue padded feet of the original.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I've been thinking and have come up with a few strange ideas in my head for a large puppet, like sweetums etc. I even had a dream once where I was inside one of the bear puppets from Muppets Take Manhattan, im quite small so would probably fit.

I've just finished the first arm for my puppet which is more of a glove like fozzie bear etc, so it got me thinking about making a large full bodied puppet.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Typically a puppet (or costume) for a touring show is much more rugged and easier to maintain than the TV version for practical reasons.

Jinx

Reaction score
Let's not forget, too, that there are often differences in coloration because of how the camera "reads" the puppet.

Treelo

Reaction score
Jinx said:
Let's not forget, too, that there are often differences in coloration because of how the camera "reads" the puppet.
I work with the characters. Trust me. The television Bear has many shades of color in his fur. The tour Bear does not. It doesn't have anything to do with the cameras or lighting.

fishbone

Reaction score
your ernie & bert look great!!!!where did you find the material for their shirts?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Seriously, I'd like to know that! People have been looking for a good source for it for years!

fragglerockr

Reaction score
But what good is that particular fabric unless you are making a replica of Bert and Ernie, which so many people are against? I thought the point was to create your own puppets that look less like Henson's creations?

I personally have no problems either way with it...