Frank- why on top?

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
One thing has always bothered me about the end credits on TMS. When listing the muppet performs it always says "Frank OZ with Jim Henson,Jeryy Nelson etc." My question is:

WHY DOES FRANK GET TOP BILLING?

He doesn't perform as many characters as Jerry or Jim, or even David Goelz or Richard Hunt.Is it because he's executive Producer? When I did a collage of each performs characters, I had trouble finding enough characters for Frank, but filled two boards with Jerry. Yet it's always Frank Oz with JIm Henson and Jerry Neson etc.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
On the contrary methinx. Look at the closing credits of The Muppet Movie or Great Muppet Caper, and you'll see who has the longest list of characters.

At any other rate, it's mostly Oz's characters who are most famous.

Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal, the main 5 forever and a day, and who's characters are there the most?

Big Bird, Oscar, Ernie, Bert, Cookie Monster, Grover, and who's got the most characters?

Plus, he did a lot of directing too, right? Directors normally get top billing.

FOZ

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
Not on the Muppet Show. I'm just P****ed off at Frank. He's a great director, he gave us Little SHop of Horrors, but he's not puppetering anymore.That bugs me.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Jim Henson woefully received little credit...on TMS, he got "and JIM HENSON". On SS, he got no credit whatsoever for puppeteering, and wasn't even mentioned in the credits until "JIM HENSON'S MUPPETS" was added above the puppeteer credits in 1985...now knowing Jim, it was probably his modesty that caused this...but still, it's odd...

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Actually, guys, I believe it's out of respect for Jim Henson. Jim was the visionary, not the top performer/star. Frank was the star, and Jim was the leader.

If you've noticed, the ending credits for Muppets Tonight lists the same type of thing for Frank. It goes something like:
"Dave Goelz
Steve Whitmire.....etc.

and Frank Oz"

At this time, Frank was pretty much a legend in his own right, so out of respect he was listed last on MT.

- Billy :cool: