Frank Oz

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'm still sort of confused about Frank's retirement. I sort of asked this as a response to one of the posts on the "Sesame Street" board, but no one answered so I thought I'd have better luck here. Is he really gone for good. Is it true that he won't perform on the new Muppet Christmas movie, even though it says he will at imdb.com? I'm really curious about this? Can someone let me know, so I can sleep better tonight? Lol.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Frank has never officially retired. He simply wants to direct movies, and that eats up most of his time. As much as people tend to think this is a fairly recent decision, he was moving towards directing more even when Jim was still alive (note a complete lack of new characters played by him on either Fraggle Rock or The Jim Henson Hour). The only difference is he had so much fun working with Jim that he was more inclined to say yes if Jim asked him to do something. Now that the camraderie is gone, he just says yes less and less often these days. Making things worse is when people like Marlon Brando, on the set of Frank's most recent film "The Score," deliberately undermine Frank as a director by calling him "Miss Piggy." You can see why that might make him less than thrilled to return to the roles.

In spite of all this, originally Frank wanted to be the sole performer of his characters because he cared so much. However, his lack of availability led to a very small representation of Fozzie and Piggy and Bert, etc. in the 90s. Audiences stopped connecting with the Muppets as much during this period with these crucial characters missing (among other reasons). That's why in the last couple of years the Henson organization has gotten Frank's permission to start finding new performers for his characters, to increase their profile. In fact, he's even been willing to go in and work as a mentor with them, playing Grover opposite David Rudman as Cookie Monster or playing Cookie Monster opposite Eric Jacobson's Grover, in this most recent season of Sesame Street.

If you need further proof that he hasn't given up on the Muppets entirely, he appeared in a BBC documentary called "I Love the Muppets" this past March; he was interviewed by Muppet writer Craig Shemin for the "Music, Mayhem and More: The Muppet Show 25th Anniversary" CD; and he appeared at a Palisades/Henson party just within the past few weeks celebrating the good sale of the action figures.

About IMDb: Their information is inaccurate. Eric Jacobson performed Piggy, Fozzie and (as far as we know) Animal (maybe even Sam) in the movie. IMDb just grabbed some information from another Muppet production in order to get the cast listing -- in this case, Muppet Treasure Island. At one point, the database said Steve Whitmire performed "Abraham Smollet" in the movie rather than Kermit the Frog! Look for the listings to be updated after we Muppet fans see the movie, check the credits, and then e-mail the database with our reviews and an accurate cast listing.

Hope that helps. Try to get some sleep now. :wink:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Thanks, Chilly. I appreciate that. Thanks, Chilly. I appreciate that. Just a little comment on Eric's characters. I think he's gotten pretty good. After seeing the "Mastercard" commercial I can say this. His Piggy is dead on. I have trouble believing that it isn't Frank. His Fozzie is alright, just a bit too deep and not quite as much like Bert. I won't know about his Animal or Sam until I see the movie or at least the longer version of the "Mastercard" commercial. Anyway, thanks again for answering. I WILL get some sleep now. Lol. Good night.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I agree that Eric's interpretations of Frank's characters are almost dead-on. I can tell a little bit, but I think it's by far the smoothest transition of any of the characters to new performers ... perhaps because Frank was around to give pointers, unlike Jim and Richard, unfortunately.

Chef: Hmm. Not 100% sure on MTI. I think (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that Frank did perform the characters, but that's why they didn't have much screen time. After all, the stuff on IMDb about MTI should be accurate by now, and that's where they got the Christmas movie credits from! :smile: I know for certain that in MFS all of Frank's characters were performed by others and he dubbed the lines later.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Yep. That was definately Frank in "Treasure Island." His name's in the credits and everything. After all Sam the Eagle aka Mr. Erroll had a pretty big role in that. I also liked him as Miss Piggy singing "Love Led Us Here."

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Chilly + Daffy,

Frank did perform some in Muppet Treasure Island , Kevin Clash performed most of his Characters through out the movie.

The last time Frank worked on a movie completely was Muppet Christmas Carol, But his Muppets werent in that alot either.

See ya

Salmoto

Reaction score
Bill Baretta is the new official performer for The Sweedish Chef. Bill did the role in Muppet Treasure island. However, in Muppets from Space, The Chef was performed by Dave Goelz. Baretta was supposed to dub the dialogue, but appeantly he didn't. It's almost like they never gave the Chef a true official performer, even though they did. Hm.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Swedish Chef appearances on Donna's Day were outstanding in my opinion. Who know's if Donna's Day will ever air again, but the Chef bits were excellent.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Phil,

Hey,
How many episodes did the Chef appear on ?

And was it Bill who performed him ?

see ya