Frank Oz to direct Powers

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
POWERS

Comic superstar Brian Michael Bendis addressed a packed room in an informal and entertaining Q & A session at this weekend's WizardWorld. Although the conversation mostly centered on his work in comics, Bendis did talk about the "Powers" movie.

"Frank Oz is directing it. He's in the middle of making 'Stepford Wives' right now and so, when he's done with that, I think 'Powers' is next," Bendis said.

That statement was greeted with enthusiastic cheers, but Bendis also cautioned, "I've been down this road before and this is as far as it's ever gotten on anything so we'll see."

Bendis had high praise for Oz. "I've met a lot of scummy people in this business and he is by far the nicest, most generous, God **** storyteller I've ever met. It's really **** inspiring to be around him because...he really knows how to tell a story.

"He's so involved with me and ['Powers' co-creator Mike Oeming] about writing material, which is such an honor," Bendis said.

Although Oz is a well-established director with movies like "The Score," "Bowfinger" and "What About Bob?" on his resume, fans also remember that he was the voice of many Muppets on the various Jim Henson TV shows and is still the voice of Yoda in the "Star Wars" movies.

"He's a distinguished filmmaker and every once in a while he'll be talking and the Muppet voice will pop," Bendis joked, emulating the voice. "It's like, 'I'm talking to Fozzie!'"

:embarrassed:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=2691

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
This is such great news! So glad to hear that Frank is doing a great project like Powers (not that his other projects are too shabby either). This was first reported a few months ago, but I hadn't heard anything since then so it's nice to know Powers is still on track, unlike certain other comic book movies (has anyone put out an APB on Batman yet?)

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Powers is a DC comic book written by Brian Michael Bendis (a big mucky-muck in comic book circles) about two homicide detectives working in a city filled with Superheros. There's a Web site with a good overview of the series here. DC probably has something on their official Web site as well.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Also just discovered that Bendis has a great official Web site at www.jinxworld.com. Lots of interviews and a history of his career. He also seems to be very active and accessible on his message board.

Beauregard

Reaction score
That sounds good. I mean I can't see Frank Oz playing Super-Heros, but then I wouldn't have imagined him voicing that forcefull Yoda chapy. Much surprised I was.

(Talking of which I once was in a video shop and could have swarn that either Burt or Fozzie was talking, I looked up and saw Yado on the screen!!!) :eek::eek::eek:

So what kind of stuff are they likley to get up to in this film?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think Frank will just be directing and not acting or puppeteering in this. Not sure what the storyline for the film is, but Bendis is one of the most acclaimed writers in comics (these days he is one of the major forces behind Daredevil and the Spiderman reboot, Ultimate Spiderman) so it should be good if there isn't too much rewriting done by the studio. Most of the Powers storylines involve solving a murder. I believe the original storyline had them investigating the murder of a famous Super Hero so it's possible the movie's plot may be based on that. I'm just speculating though.

Personally, I think Powers could be a huge, Men in Black style hit if it's done properly and it's in good hands with Frank Oz.

Oh - just a correction - but Powers is actually published by Image Comics, not DC. I goofed.