Fraggle Rock DVD Petition

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The exact same message was posted in multiple places throughout the various forums. One of them was left up and the other one was removed. That's what happened.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Hey,
I forgot to mention that on Saturday we reached 800 !

I added a story written by our very own Joggy to the 'Fraggle Fun' page !

See ya

DaViD Boulet

Reaction score
After the debacle with the Pan-and-scan Muppet Treasure Island and Christmas Carol is dealt with, it will be time to start targeting a campaign to Henson about this with even more "umph". Great to see so much interest out there in Fraggles Rock!

Hey...are any of you still waiting to get the Dark Crystal Soundtrack on CD??

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by EmmyMik

Either you somehow managed to get the famous John Lennon to sign, or there's some other less famous John Lennon out there.

Actually, I do know a woman named Vicki Lawrence, but she's not THE Vicki Lawrence!

KPrell

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I saw that some addresses for Henson execs were posted for people to contact. I'm worried about these people being bombarded with requests for Fraggle DVDs.

Hensons are not a huge corporation like Disney. They are a small company and at the moment everyone is tied up with everyday business, current projects and planning for the future of the company. They are aware of the Fraggle anniversary and would like to do something with the library of shows eventually, but there are other very urgent matters they must deal with first.

That's why I thought the Fraggle petition, quietly growing but available whenever Henson's, distributors or possible new owners need to take a look, would be an excellent way for them to be aware of interest in the shows.

It'll surely hit 1000 today, which is pretty good for only two weeks, and will continue to grow as word spreads.

I personally would feel better if you didn't bombard the people at Henson's directly. If you've got thoughts about how the shows should be re-released that won't fit on the petition, please post them here. They'll be seen. And otherwise, trust the quiet strength of the petition and have patience.

The shows WILL be released again for new children to discover. Your wonderful support and enthusiasm for the series have already gone a long way toward making sure that will happen.

Thanks again Warrick for starting the petition and Jessie for the heartfelt statement. And thanks to all the folks at Muppet Central and those who've signed the petition for your appreciation of Fraggle Rock. It means alot to everyone who worked on the show.

Karen Prell

DaViD Boulet

Reaction score
Karen,

I hear ya loud and clear. Administrators please feel free to edit my earlier post with Henson contact info (i can't edit it now).

My biggest fear here is that the Henson folks will think "how quaint, they want fraggle DVDs" and then think "hey, this is kids stuff...let's make a cute little compliation "best of" DVD set."

That would be a shame. Fraggle fans deserve the entire series and we deserve to have the episodes in order. If you're aware that Henson folks are reading this thread and that what is discussed here will have some effect on their decision making process, super!

Another thought I've had is that once an outside-vendor has been established to have the rights to press the discs (like Time Life) it may be a good idea to let *them* know we want the series in order. When I called henson and talked about getting all the muppet shows on DVD they kept saying "That's not in our hands...Time Life makes all the decisions about that."

I just don't want to risk another situation like we have with the Muppet Show or South Park where we get stuck with "best of" collections and that's it. Fraggle Rock is a show that develops as a series that one ought to be able to experience in order and every episode is worth watching...and worth owning on DVD.

This has been a dream of mine for years and I really don't want some "marketing" guy who's never even watched the show to hand me a best-of DVD!

Anyhow, here's some of my ideas about how to best-serve the Fraggle Fan with a DVD release:

• The long-term goal should be to make the entire series available with all episodes in order of release.
  • The DVDs could be single or dual-layer discs and either packaged individually for @$20 or in season sets. This would let consumers buy the discs they are interested in for those out there not intending to purchase the whole set (if the Muppet Show and South Park DVDs are an indication it's a good bet most fans will buy *all* the DVDs they can...Time Life is contantly on back-order with their Muppet Show set).
  • Music Music Music. The incredible music of Fraggle Rock is one of its greatest strengths. It should be treated as such on the DVD. Every episode has a "featured" song or two (Sail Away, The Moon Song, Our Melody). At the end of each episode or during the episode as an alternate audio track, users should be able to select to hear the pure stereo-studio mix. This would be amazing if it happened. Each DVD would be like purchasing a CD with the studio song mixes! Linear PCM should be the audio format for recording any "music" tracks. 20 bit 48 kHz resolution would be wonderful.
  • The stereo mix for the show, if it uses dolby digital compression for bandwidth reasons, should *not* use 2.0 DD at the 192 kbps data-rate. It sounds really aweful and all it takes is a cursory glance at any DVD forum to find that most people prefer the sound of the PCM on laserdisc or even the analog stereo on hi-fi VHS to 2.0 DVD at the 192 kbps rate!!!

If 2.0 DD is used, it should be at a higher rate like 348 kbps which would do a much better job at preserving fidelity. It's really REALLY important that our Fraggle Music sound as good as it can.
  • Cool things like any documentaries or interviews/commentary when appropriate would be awesome too!
thanks for listening :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
David

Was Fraggle recorded in Stereo then ? I know some prime time shows like ALF were at that point, but i didn't know about Fraggle.

I can't seem them remastering the stuff as it is just gonna make things more costly but making the songs a special feature is a lovely idea.

I'd love to see Karen and others appear on a commentary - i would guess Henson aren't looking to go to the cost of doing 'extras' like this if they do put out a set but if they did then that would be numero uno on my list.

Jessie

Reaction score
You guys!

Hey everyone and Warrick! We just got 1000 entries!

Great news! :0)