Fraggle Head help

Criss

Reaction score
I've been trying to start a fraggle , but can't seem to work out the basic head style ( pattern )

If anyone can point me to a good starting point for red gobo or boober style that would be a huge help .

Ive made the project puppet types and im ready to try something new and tried making a fraggle head and body over 10 times and seem to be failing everytime . Any tips for be a huge help

Thanx

Criss
Australia

Criss

Reaction score
Thanx for sharing Slackbot

Your fraggle build s are stunning , to say the least .

In my attempts to make the fraggle head I've created everything from barny to a T rex and some other creatures that man has yet to name . I've gone thru so many meters of foam and continue to get disappointing results .

back to the drawing board

Thanx again for your input

Slackbot

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm glad you like my Fraggles!

Here's my process for making a skull. Perhaps it will help you.

Make a pattern on paper. Outline it using a black sharpie on foam, cut it out, and contact cement it together. Glue in a mouthplate cut from a manila folder, as the mouthplate definitely affects the head shape. Put it on your hand and look at it. Play with it. Compare it to the character. (I make "reference sheets" of screengrabs from various angles, and when possible with wet hair, so I can get a good feel for the shape and geometry of the head.) Decide what needs to change. Then trace the paper pattern piece onto another piece of paper, make alterations in marker to that pattern piece, and cut it out. Then repeat.

I typically go through this 3-8 times before I get a character's head right. It can take days, but then I'm in no rush. Better to take my time and get it right, or as close to right as I can manage. As for the discards, I fold the pattern pieces up and stick them inside the skull, then put them into a bag. I have a bag o' skulls the size of a Hefty bag. What doesn't work for one character may work for another.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I just posted a photo of some skulls to my "From the Foam Up" thread. It might help you get some ideas.