Foxes, cats, rats ... some of the puppets I made

Tioh

Reaction score
I made several hand-puppets in the last years (I did not build them alone - I had some helpers) - most of them for an annual puppet show (live performance for at least two hours).

Most of the puppets are about 1meter tall.

The body of the puppet is made of foam and hollow. The mouth is played with the puppeteers hand - thru the back of the neck or the body.

The arms and legs are build with flexible joints. Arm-rods are permanently attached to the hands. The hands have a bendable steel wire in them. There is a metal disc attached to one finger in each hand that can be used to attach props with magnets. Eyelids and ears are moveable and can be controlled via bowden cables.

The heads were made with foam and plastic-mesh. Teeth and nose are hand-sculpted with plaast (a polycaprolactone - biodegradable polyester with a low melting point of around 63°C).

I have no time for commissions and I will not sell those puppets - it's just my hobby.

crazy chris

Reaction score
Nice work!! Reminds me alot of Mongrels!! One of my faves!

cc

PuppetMad

Reaction score
These are some of the best animal puppets i've seen, excellent work. What did you use to make the eyes?

Tioh

Reaction score
These are some of the best animal puppets i've seen, excellent work. What did you use to make the eyes?
The eyes are ping pong balls. I build the eyelids by modelling plaast (polycaprolactone) around a metal ball that has the same diameter as the eyes.

PuppetMad

Reaction score
Nice, what a great technique, do the eyelids move?

SureShot

Reaction score
Awesome puppets. Love the eyes blinking. Are you willing to teach us how to connect the bowden cable to the eyes and make them work?