Fleece questions for Kermit

Boba Lynn

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a Kermit puppet and I have a few fleece questions.

1) Do I need the Antron fleece, or can I use fleece I found at Joann fabrics? I'm not sure what kind it was, but it looked good and felt heavy.
I'm not looking to make a fully screen accurate Kermit, but a very nice replica that I don't want to look cheap and like a toy.
2) Is pilly fleece a NO NO, or is all fleece pilly to some degree?
3)How many yards of fleece will I need to make a Kemit puppet with full arms, legs, etc?
4) Can I readily find "kermit the frog green" colored fleece or close to that color, or will it need to be a white fleece and then dyed to match?
5) If I have to go with the dye route is there a off the self color in the RIT dyes I can use or will it need to be a custom mix?
6) If it is a custom mix, than what do I need to do it?

Thanks for any help,
Lynn

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
Kermit wasn't made of Antron fleece until more recently. I know on the muppet show he's much more traditional material, possibly just the fleece you'd find in the fabric store. In fact sometimes it appeared very pilled. I would say, if this is your first attempt, why not start with traditional fleece. Not sure if there are various kinds but don't spend the money on the Muppet fleece just yet. This way if you have to redo it, or make adjustments, you're not wasting the good stuff. And when you do get it right, well he'll still look great cause it will be the same type of fleece as the earlier Kermit!

As for your other questions....beats me. But all this talk of making Kermit makes me wanna try too!

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Some Corrections

TopperFraggle said:
Kermit wasn't made of Antron fleece until more recently.
Actually he has been made of Fleece since the sixties, it may not have been called Antron but it was a similar materila to that , since the Seventies he has been made out of a custom manufactured fabric that was the same stuff used on the Fisher Price plush toys released after the success of the Muppet show.
it is not the same weight as the antron fleece availible to everyone else, it has a heavier backing ,and is stiffer ,

TopperFraggle said:
I know on the muppet show he's much more traditional material, possibly just the fleece you'd find in the fabric store. In fact sometimes it appeared very pilled.
it was still a early antron fleece, the pills come with age and use,the early muppet shows often used older puppets , as the season go on Kermits apperance gets more cleaned up.and is finally pretty much the same kermit we see today using his current skin fabric, Polar Fleece that is avaible in most stores is not the same stuff, but will be very helpful in working out a pattern for your puppet, BE WARNED IT DOES NOT TAKE DYE WELL

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Boba Lynn said:
I'm wanting to make a Kermit puppet and I have a few fleece questions.

1) Do I need the Antron fleece, or can I use fleece I found at Joann fabrics?
I'm not sure what kind it was, but it looked good and felt heavy.
I'm not looking to make a fully screen accurate Kermit, but a very nice replica that I don't want to look cheap and like a toy.
For patterning that will be fine.

Boba Lynn said:
2) Is pilly fleece a NO NO, or is all fleece pilly to some degree?
it will pill with use and age, and if you Dye it in a washing amchine, i suggest hand dying , and hand rinsing , the just spin it out in a washer and fluff it in the dryer.
Boba Lynn said:
3)How many yards of fleece will I need to make a Kemit puppet with full arms, legs, etc?
not sure off the top of my head but 1 1/2 to 2 yards is a reasonable estimate.
Boba Lynn said:
4) Can I readily find "kermit the frog green" colored fleece or close to that color, or will it need to be a white fleece and then dyed to match?
NO you can not , you will need to dye it.
Boba Lynn said:
5) If I have to go with the dye route is there a off the self color in the RIT dyes I can use or will it need to be a custom mix?
you will have to custom mix it,
Boba Lynn said:
6) If it is a custom mix, than what do I need to do it?

Thanks for any help,
Lynn
expeiriment with diffenet colors, and heat settings, with small scraps of the fabric as dye samples, keep a record of your formulas, and water temperatures., till u find one that works.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
In the show "Muppets on Puppets" from around 1967 or '68, Jim Henson calls the material Nylon Fleece. It was readily available in the early 70's in a variety of colors. The nice thing about it was that it was stretchy in both directions as opposed to some material that only stretches in one direction.

The Kermit from Season One of "The Muppet Show" is really pilly, but I like that look. The current Antron Fleece has a kind of shine to it that I'm not fond of, but that's just personal opinion.

:stick_out_tongue:

Boba Lynn

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
NO you can not , you will need to dye it.
you will have to custom mix it,
expeiriment with diffenet colors, and heat settings, with small scraps of the fabric as dye samples, keep a record of your formulas, and water temperatures., till u find one that works.

Thanks for the great info!!

For dying the material I would use RIT dye, so I asssume I should start with a yellow base and add green to it until I get to the desired color?
It would probably better to start lighter and go darker then the other way around.

Lynn

Lab Rat

Reaction score
when i'm dying fleece kermiot green i use half a container of golden yellow and about a third of emerald green it gives a nice kermit green if you want to look at my kermit plus other muppets i've made go to www.picturetrail.com
and type in gluvets i hope this helps.

Boba Lynn

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
Some Corrections
Polar Fleece that is avaible in most stores is not the same stuff, but will be very helpful in working out a pattern for your puppet, BE WARNED IT DOES NOT TAKE DYE WELL
Well that shot my bright idea all to heck!! LOL

I take it polar fleece must be a polyster blend or a Mohair/polyester blend?
I know from trying to dye Boba Fett belt girths Mohair/polyester blends don't accept dye well.

Other then the Antron fleece, what kind can I get at a store like JoAnn fabrics that takes dye well? Are ther cotton based fleeces out there?

Lynn

Boba Lynn

Reaction score
Lab Rat said:
when i'm dying fleece kermiot green i use half a container of golden yellow and about a third of emerald green it gives a nice kermit green if you want to look at my kermit plus other muppets i've made go to
and type in gluvets i hope this helps.
Very impressive!!! Big bird rocks!!
Thanks for the info.

What did you use for the pattern? Did you use the head pattern found here?
Lynn

Boba Lynn

Reaction score
TopperFraggle said:
Kermit wasn't made of Antron fleece until more recently. I know on the muppet show he's much more traditional material, possibly just the fleece you'd find in the fabric store. In fact sometimes it appeared very pilled. I would say, if this is your first attempt, why not start with traditional fleece.
Is traditional fleece different then the polar fleece? it was mentioned later in the thread that Polar fleece dosn't accept dye to wel.

Lyn