Five Ball Cha-Cha

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Blinks. Rully Gina? And I thought I was the only one who ever watched that show.

Me likes this muchly. Kermit's daydreaming helped sell the talk he had with his assistant. Good banter between them too, you're finding your footing quite well. Please post more when you can.

*Checks if :hungry: still has any pumpkin cookies left to hand out.
:insatiable: Cookies?
Yeah buddy, here, we got some chocolate chips just for you.
:insatiable: Oh! Thank you. *Omnomnomnom.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
*Blinks. Rully Gina? And I thought I was the only one who ever watched that show.
Nope. Used to watch it as a kid. Once, I got the theme stuck in my head and for the life of me couldn't remember what show it was from.

Me likes this muchly. Kermit's daydreaming helped sell the talk he had with his assistant. Good banter between them too, you're finding your footing quite well. Please post more when you can.
If you think that's good, check this out!

VI.

Thursday mornings saw an early start for Amanda. Those were the days in which she was physically in the office in order to work on paperwork, make phone calls, and general other managerial tasks. The great thing about being able to not only work in the family business, so to speak, but having the ability to make her own schedule when she needed to come in as well as the advantages of being able to work from home some days definitely came in handy.

This week for instance had been spent trying to get as much done as she could so that she could get the night off for Sunday. Luckily, bars and pool halls weren’t that popular when it came to couples celebrating Valentine’s Day, in addition to the fact that they were usually dead on Sundays helped; it helped so much that her father had decided to close the bar for that night, allowing the staff to spend time with their significant others.

On these types of holidays – those that were focused on spending time with loved ones – Amanda did get a sense of sadness that her father was all alone, especially now that she was spending a lot of time with one Scooter Grosse. Chase Cosgrove had once been a happily married man until his wife died and granted, there was a long period of time in which he couldn’t think of ever trying to replicate what he had with his beloved wife.

That was probably why he surprised his daughter with not only being in the bar Thursday morning, but apparently whistling.

Amanda had already been suspicious on the sudden decision to close the bar that Sunday, something that was just uncommon, when they had never closed on this particular holiday and on a Sunday no less.

“Alright,” she announced, seeing her father behind the bar, apparently doing inventory. “The jig’s up, old man. I know you know something and I want to know what it is.”

Chase looked up to give his daughter a look. While the Whatnot’s looks were all her mother, the personality was his and his alone. “Do you kiss your boyfriend with that mouth?”

“All the time,” she retorted. “Seriously, Daddio, what’s the skinny? You’re here on a Thursday, you’ve got the bar closed on a Sunday, and you’re whistling. What is going on here?”

“Alright,” the bar owner sighed, in comical fashion. “You got me. My happy mood, which is not attributed to you this time, and why I’ve gone and closed the bar…I got a date Sunday.”

“Pull the other one,” she countered.

“I’m being perfectly serious, young lady.”

“With who?”

“Surprise! A woman.”

“What’s her name?”

“Dorie.”

“What’s her last name?”

“What’re you?” he scolded. “The Spanish Inquisition?”

“You’d never suspect me if I was.”

Chase shook his head, sadly. “Your mother was right,” he sighed. “You’re getting more like me every day.”

“And that’s a bad thing?” she chuckled. Patting him on the arm, she whispered, “Seriously, Dad, you know I worry about you.”

“I know you do,” he replied. “I don’t know why, but I do know. And before you ask, yes I really do have a date on Sunday and I’m not just saying that cause my favorite girl is ditching me for some live show.”

“You could go if you wanted.”

The elder Whatnot shook his head. “I’m sure Grosse is performing just for you,” he said. “And quite frankly, no father enjoys seeing lust in the eyes of another man, especially when it’s pointed at his only daughter.”

“Dad!”

Chase huffed. “As if you haven’t noticed,” he said. “And like I haven’t noticed you noticing. Listen, I want grandkids someday, but not tomorrow or next week.”

“Dad! Honestly!”

“Your uh…your Aunt Maggie did give you that talk, right?” he asked, hesitantly. “About…you know, the differences between boys and girls?”

“Yes Dad,” Amanda sighed. “And at this moment, may I just say that I don’t ever want to have this type of conversation with you again.”

“Well, that’s too bad,” Chase said. “You’re my little girl and I’ll have this conversation with you whenever I feel like that. Maybe I should talk to that boyfriend of yours, remind him that I’m ex-military.”

“Don’t you dare!” she cried, trying to lunge for him across the bar.

“You get those short little arms from your mother!” Chase shouted back, as he easily moved from out of her reach and tried to hurry back to his office.

“Daddy, you get back here!”

“Dang, you’re fast.”

“Or maybe you’re just old.”

“Old!?” Chase protested, stopping abruptly and catching his daughter as she ran into him. “I’m not too old to give you a smack bottom!” Which he proceeded to do, smacking her bottom once, causing her to cry out amidst her laughing.

“Stop!” she giggled. “Okay, I’m sorry! I’m sorry! You’re not old!”

“And you best remember that, too,” he said, righting her. He didn’t stop the hug she gave him, adding to her giggling when he lifted her slightly off the ground. Chase gave his daughter an inquisitive look. “You really sweet on this guy?”

The red head couldn’t stop the shyness that seemed to come over her. “Yeah, Dad,” she whispered. “You sure you wouldn’t mind little Scooter Grosses running around?”

“I wouldn’t mind having another little you running around,” he corrected. “After all, that’s when I liked you the best.”

“So funny you are,” she joked, slapping him on the shoulder. “You like him, don’t you, Daddy?”

Giving her middle an affectionate squeeze, he said, “I like him cause you like him. But I guess in the scheme of things, I wouldn’t be opposed to having him as the father of my grandchildren. But I meant what I said, Amanda Lilith; I’m too young to be a grandfather. You’d better not come to me in the next week, saying you got a bun in the oven cause I will make sure that kid never cooks again.”

Saluting, she said, “Yes sir, Captain!”

“Now listen up, Lieutenant,” he continued. “I am going to be having dinner with Dorie on Sunday. And if, if you’re a good girl and you don’t do what I just said, maybe I’ll introduce the two of you. Make a nice night of it, alright?”

“Can I invite Scooter?”

“I guess,” Chase sighed, dramatically. “Seeing as you seem determined to keep him around.”

“Well,” she replied. “If Sunday goes right, I’m hoping to keep him around for a very long time.”

“No babies.”

“Dad.”

“I’m serious,” the elder reiterated. “And you tell him that. You tell him I said he’s not to touch you until I say so.”

Amanda glared at her father. “Then he’ll never touch me.”

“Even better.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
This chappie was loads of laughs all rolled into one.

Her dad's going on a date with Dori.
Amanda: What is she?"
Gosh, please don't let it be that Ellen DeGeneres fish. *Hates EDG vehemently.

At Chase's remark... "Noone expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
*Insert Uncle Deadly *maniacal* laugh icon.

If he's going to imagine little Scooter Grosse's running around—not to mention little Amanda Cosgrove's—don't forget to add little Skeeter Grosses too since they're twins and all.

Thanks, sorry to not reply until now, my net was down all day yesterday since noonish. :fishy:

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
This chappie was loads of laughs all rolled into one.
While this is a Scooter feature, I thought I'd throw in some Amanda time. I figured that as a father, Chase may like Scooter, but that doesn't mean he wants him looking at his daughter or touching her for that matter.

Her dad's going on a date with Dori.
Amanda: What is she?"
Gosh, please don't let it be that Ellen DeGeneres fish. *Hates EDG vehemently.
It's short for Doris or Delores, can't remember what I finally decided on yesterday. *shakes head* Just do not understand your dislike of her. She's hilariously funny and goofy and quirky.

I guess I like goofy and quirky.

A
t Chase's remark... "Noone expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
*Insert Uncle Deadly *maniacal* laugh icon.
The line came to me, so of course I had to finish the line. Terribly sad that we couldn't name our guild that in WoW, but I think there actually was a guild by that name on some other server, but I never could find them. :frown:

If he's going to imagine little Scooter Grosse's running around—not to mention little Amanda Cosgrove's—don't forget to add little Skeeter Grosses too since they're twins and all.
*throws chair against the wall*

There will never, ever be any inclination of a Skeeter. Ever. I've never liked her. I didn't like her in Muppet Babies and I will never like her in anything. From here on out, Scooter is an only child.

In fact, I have stated as such throughout this series - once in 8 Ball and again here :

Huffing, Scooter decided to turn the tables. “Have I ever mentioned that I hated being an only child?” he asked.
So there. But to give you a hint - these two are having boys. I can not say how many or their names cause...well, that will come later.

Thanks, sorry to not reply until now, my net was down all day yesterday since noonish. :fishy:
Stupid internets! Obviously, I've had that problem enough times coming into work that I've just started leaving my laptop here and am so very glad that I have a Galaxy Nexus should I be forced to head somewhere else.

Up next - Friday morning hijinks! Scooter's stress levels skyrocket, Kermit & Piggy can't keep from giggling, and the countdown to showtime begins!

Misskermie

Reaction score
Dude, this story to me is like Piggy to chocolate!

Or me to chocolate...

More please!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
So you've not even read the Family Reunion arc of the Muppet Show Comics from Boom!?
That had a grown-up Skeeter as the main connection through all four issues. We met other relatives as well, like Beauregard's Cousin Mo, Mrs. Emily Bear (Fozzie's Mom) and Dora a potential romantic interest for Fozzie, and a carpeting saleswoman with crossed eyes in a story where Robin thought he was being sent away.

But hey, is your ficverse, so it's your rules.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Here is our conclusion to chapter six! So I started chapter five with a bit of steam and I'm ending this chapter with some steam as well. Bring out the fans!

Friday was the start of what people called the weekend of heck.

With a show only two days away, Fridays and Saturdays were usually the busiest and hectic of the week; this week was even more so, as the Muppet Theater went into overdrive to set up their first hour long show. Despite doing several seasons of the original Muppet Show and being stars of the big screen, the Weekend of Heck always felt as though it was the first weekend of their very first show.

Fridays were the absolute last day that acts could try to butt their way onto the schedule, as well as being the last chance that those who have been given tentative nods had to polish up to make sure they were ready for Sunday; it was also the last day that the secondary acts – those that were deemed as replacements – could throw their names into the ring.

After some of the disasters from their previous show, Kermit and Scooter always made sure to have available acts waiting and willing to go on in the case their first strings didn’t make it. That was actually how many of their popular skits had gotten on stage in the first place.

This particular Friday seemed to be the worse day of Scooter Grosse’s life.

Usually, the two days before the show, many of the performers were fighting with their nerves or anticipation and anxiety, that tempers flared more than usual. Scooter normally took those Fridays all in stride, doing his best to keep things together before things fell apart; it was much like his role during a show, where he tried to keep Kermit as sane as reasonably expected.

This Friday was not like other Fridays.

This Friday, the tension that was usually felt wasn’t there; in fact, most of the acts were joking around, having a good time, and generally looking forward to Sunday’s show. Scooter, on the other hand, felt and acted like a nervous wreck. Kermit, who would performing in at least two numbers and sitting in for one, had decided to continue this ‘promotion’ he had given to Scooter and put the younger Muppet in the seat of director and manager.

To be fair, it was a role that the red head had been doing for years, ever since the original show, and it was something that he also excelled at. On those rare occasions when Kermit couldn’t be at the forefront, his duties were usually split between the senior most members, however it was still Scooter that they called on to manage some of the more unruly of acts.

And because this was a role that he had been performing literally since his teens, it was assumed and expected that he would continue to fulfill that duty. But today, it wasn’t going to happen.

Already, the stage manager had turned his anxiety into wrath and had flung it towards anyone that got in his path. Pepe and Rizzo had seen the bad side of the kid when their side bet on just how far Link Hogthrob would get through his set had gotten heated and they had dared to try and rumble in the middle of the penguin chorus line.

Kermit and Piggy, who were currently on stage rehearsing, had picked the worse day to be in the kind of mood they were in. Both had gotten a bad case of the giggles, which was compounded by the fact that they had seemed to have taken their backstage flirting from Kermit’s office and Piggy’s dressing room to that of on stage.

All of that was only made worse by their song choice – an up tempo jazz version of “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” as performed by Louis Prima and Keely Smith.

“Come on, you guys!” the red head shouted. He had taken a position right in front of the orchestra pit and had been there all morning, shouting up at the acts on stage, while making suggestions to Nigel in the pit offstage. Nigel, at this point, was outright ignoring him, even once going as far as to pretend he was the recording off an answering machine.

Scooter didn’t think that was funny and ‘left a message’ that he had been thinking about firing the English Muppet that day and that if he could get back, that would be great. That’s when the two stopped speaking to each other.

“Sorry,” Kermit chuckled. He didn’t know why he was so giggly today and Piggy certainly wasn’t making it any easier because every time they looked at each other, they’d burst into laughter. “We’re sorry, Scooter.”

“Sorry doesn’t get your act together,” Scooter admonished. “I would think the two of you would know better. And where is my minion? Minion!”

Robin popped out from backstage. “Yeah?”

“What happened to my backdrop for this?”

“It’s back here,” the frog replied, pointing towards the backstage area.

“Why isn’t it out here?”

“Cause we took it down in order to rework it,” the young frog answered. It was obviously the wrong to say at that.

The rush of heat seemed to start from the manager’s toes and traveled upwards, causing his face to match that of his reddish mop. “Are you kidding me!?” he exclaimed. “You go and take that apart now? I’m trying to get this act together and you…you…you’re killing me, Smalls!”

“Sorry Boss.”

It was clear to everyone that, unless something was done, their young manager was going to blow a gasket and he was starting to get a good steam going for a Kermit like tirade. Throwing a look to her captain, Piggy suggested, “Perhaps now would be a good time for lunch, Mon Capitain.”

“How can you possibly be thinking about food at a time like this!?” Scooter cried.

“No, I think she’s right,” Kermit replied, nodding his agreement. “Why don’t you take lunch, Scooter?”

“Kermit,” the red head whined. “We’re in the middle of rehearsals and I got set design to redesign, apparently –“ he threw a look towards Robin. “I can’t take lunch now!”

“Andrew,” Piggy stressed. “That wasn’t a request.”

At any other moment, Scooter would’ve gotten the message loud and clear; Piggy, who was probably the only person who used his first name on a semi regular basis, utilized it when she wanted to get her point across. It was a testament to just how stressed and distracted he was that the red head all but ignored the warning and turned to his commander in chief.

“Kermit?”

The frog shrugged. He had seen the plot for what it was and really, thought it was a great idea. Knowing that Scooter was trying to plan something romantic for his first Valentine’s Day, while also trying to come up with various ways of stating his feelings to his love was nerve racking at best; trying to do so while also overseeing a show only made it ten times worse.

Kermit was kicking himself for not making Scooter take the day off.

“You heard her,” he said, watching as his decision literally caused the younger Muppet to deflate slightly.

“Fine,” Scooter huffed. “Why don’t we all just take lunch? Not like we have a show or anything to get ready for.”

“Food, Andrew,” Piggy said. “Go fetch it.”

“Yes Mistress,” he said, sarcastically. “Why don’t I just get lunch for anyone? Not like I have anything to do or anything.” He continued to murmur and huff and complain as he made his way backstage in order to get his car keys and wallet.

“Wow,” Robin breathed. “I’ve never seen Scooter so…”

“Obnoxious?” Piggy filled in.

“I was going to say harsh,” the young frog replied. “But we can go with that.”

“Leave him alone,” Kermit said, diplomatically. “He’s got a lot of stuff on his mind.”

“Dollars to donuts everyone knows what,” Piggy replied. “Or should I say, ‘who’? No worries, boys, Moi knows just the solution to our problems.”

As she spoke, the diva began to rifle through the inside pockets of Kermit’s jacket.

“What are you doing?” the frog inquired, watching as she went from his left side pocket then to his right inside pocket. “The answer to our problems is in my jacket?”

Pulling out her cell phone, which she had placed in said jacket pocket, Piggy said, “Yes.”

“Wondered why my jacket felt heavy,” Kermit muttered. Both he and Robin watched as the diva seemed to be calling someone. “Who’re you calling?”

“I’m not calling anyone.”

Both frogs looked at one another before they both stepped closer to the pig in order to see what she was doing. As she said, she wasn’t calling anyone, but texting someone and they both knew who that someone was. “Ooooh.”

“And all this time,” Kermit replied. “I’ve been dating her for her body.”

Piggy rolled her eyes. There were times when her frog’s humor and sarcastic wit were not appreciated, kinda like now. “I see your wit hasn’t gotten better with your age,” she retorted.

“You weren’t complaining about my age earlier this morning.”

“Hello!” Robin exclaimed. “Young, impressionable mind! Standing right here. By all that’s holy, please stop. Right now.”

“I don’t remember you being so bothered by this when you were younger,” Kermit said.

Robin looked at Kermit in such a way, it actually startled Piggy somewhat in how much the teen looked like his uncle. “A lot of things didn’t bother me until I turned fifteen,” the teen stated. “Puberty does that to you.”

“Puberty does a lot of things to you,” Piggy smirked.

“So I’ve noticed.”

[hr]

Scooter was still in a huff by the time he arrived at the little Italian place they all like to frequent. He wasn’t sure what his problem was that day and he knew at some point, he’d probably have to apologize to people – a lot of people – but his mind seemed to be on other things and every little thing drove him to tears or exasperation.

He had concluded this must be how Kermit every day of the year and perhaps next week, he’d resolve to take more things off the frog’s shoulders.

Still in a stew, when he heard his phone go off, he didn’t bother to look to see who it was, just answered in the standard, “Grosse here.”

“And hello to you too.”

“Oh,” he sighed, some of his tension ebbing away. “Hi.”

“How’s it going, handsome?”

“Okay, I guess.”

“Something wrong?”

“No,” Scooter whispered, shaking his head. “Just…just a little stressed, I think.”

“About the show?”

Chocking out a laugh, he said, “No, actually. Ironically, the show’s okay. It’s…I’ve been thinking about you.”

“Oh,” he heard her chuckle. “So I’m the one stressing you out.”

“What?” he exclaimed, causing a few people to look at him as he sat and waited for his order. “No, baby, no. I mean…”

“I’m kidding,” she said. “Well, I was kidding, but now I’m wondering if I’m right.”

“You’re wrong,” he whispered. “It’s just…this is our first Valentine’s Day together and it’s our anniversary. I just want things to go smoothly.”

“Oh Scooter,” she sighed, dreamily. “They will, cause it’s you and you always put your all in to everything you do. I hate that I can’t see you for two days.”

“I know.”

“I miss you,” she whispered. “You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

“Amanda, I love…this…restaurant, that I’m at.” Scooter balled a fist at his slip. Not being able to see her should’ve worked out in his favor, but not seeing her and thinking about her were actually doing the opposite of what he wanted.

“Getting lunch?”

“Yeah,” he said, taking a deep breath. “Kermit…kinda…sent me out to pick up some.”

“Well, I’ll let you go. Just wanted to say hi.”

“You know you can call me anytime, Gorgeous,” he whispered. “Are you coming to the show Sunday?”

“Of course,” she said. “Can’t wait to see you, Scooter.”

Maybe he was imagining it, but he swore there was a slight purr in her voice when she said that and it had his mind racing. “Things I want to do to you…tell you!” he corrected at the last moment. “Tell you,” he said. “Things I want to tell you. I meant tell you. Don’t know…where that other thing came from.”

“Freudian slip?”

“Among other things, I’m sure.” He listened to her response, a flash of heat coloring his face as she finished. “That’s not a very nice thing to say to someone in a public restaurant.”

“Well then, I hope you’re sitting down.”

“I was,” he muttered, hearing his name as they brought out his order.

“Deep breaths, baby.”

“Still not helping.”

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
So you've not even read the Family Reunion arc of the Muppet Show Comics from Boom!?
That had a grown-up Skeeter as the main connection through all four issues. We met other relatives as well, like Beauregard's Cousin Mo, Mrs. Emily Bear (Fozzie's Mom) and Dora a potential romantic interest for Fozzie, and a carpeting saleswoman with crossed eyes in a story where Robin thought he was being sent away.

But hey, is your ficverse, so it's your rules.
I has heard about them, thanks to the Muppet Wikis. I actually had gone there to find out where exactly Fozzie's mom was. Those were the ones where Fozzie has a dad or sisters and brothers, right? Or am I thinking of another comic series?

As much as I'm a stickler for canon, Skeeter isn't really canon (though it depends which Muppet canon you're going with). Muppet Babies, which I have always loved, doesn't feel like it places anywhere other than something they lent their voices to, but never actually happened in the scheme of 'real' Muppet world, you know?

But even if I were to incorporate it, never liked Skeeter. I never thought she fit in with the rest of the group and wished they had more Bean, Janice, and baby Bunsen and Beaker (whom I loved! the whole reason I liked Bunsen cause he was adorable as a baby Muppet)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually...

Fozzie's Mom first appeared on The Muppet Show, but wasn't named or developed as a character until A Muppet Family Christmas in 1987 and The Muppets at Walt Disney World in 1990.
Fozzie's Dad, that's another subject. If you mean Mr. Bear, that's from the Muppet Kids series of storybooks, a sort of older-aged continuation of MB (Muppet Babies) where we see families of the characters including Scooter's Dad. (Still will always love Sadie, Scooter's Mom from ReneeLouvier's fic series). However, there's also Fozzie's and Kermit's Dad as seen in the framed picture on Mike Tarkanian's desk in TGMC.

MB "could" fit if you read a few of the theories floating around here like the afore-mentioned Sadie's Stories or RedPiggy's Realizations. But I understand your feelings, heck, I myself hate EDG as previously stated.

*Leaves to reconstitute self after the heat from that phone call between the lovebirds.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
And to end the day - here's chapter 7!

VII.

Saturday began as it always did – with some sort of crisis.

That morning’s crisis was a missing Link; that is to say that the star and captain of the Swinetrek – Link Hogthrob - had failed to appear at that morning’s rehearsal and now Julius Strangepork was getting a bit concerned, especially when Link was always at the theater, regardless of whether he needed to be there or not. Strangepork had called the male diva several times already that morning and was now at the point of just driving over to his apartment to see where he was.

Kermit, who was already trying to figure out how and why Pepe had gotten trapped in a closet, had handed the issue off to Fozzie Bear. Fozzie was now trying, without much success, to convince Piggy to call Link because he would answer the phone for her.

“No.”

“Please Piggy!” the bear pleaded, falling to his knees and pulling on her pant leg.

“Let go of me!”

“Herr Bear may have a point,” Julius replied, coming over to stand next to the two. “Linkie may actually answer for you.”

“What part of ‘no’ do you people not understand?” she asked. Turning to Strangepork, she batted the hand that had been waving a phone in her face. “I’m not calling him, Jules! And you! Get off me!”

“Piggy, just call him!” Scooter shouted at her, as he quickly began to dial a locksmith, the seventh one that morning. Apparently, locksmiths in California did not go to work before eleven am.

“He likes you,” Julius replied. “Perhaps if you use that feminine charm of yours, he’ll answer.”

“First of all,” the diva proclaimed. “Fozzie Bear, if you do not release me this instant, you will not live long enough to perform tonight.”

The comic immediately let her go, though he stayed close in the case he had to beg again.

“Secondly,” she continued, this time turning her ire on Strangepork. “Link and I do not like each other and we will never like each other, so why you seem to think that my calling him will do any good, I don’t know.” She did however pull out her phone and started to dial. “However, I am not in the mood today to even begin to deal with this.”

Placing the phone to her ear, she waited until Link himself picked up. “Where are you? Whatever it is, I don’t care. Shut up. Now you get down here, Hogthrob, because if I have to leave this theater to come get you, there will be trouble. Get dressed and get here. Now.”

Hanging up, she could feel the hug from Fozzie probably before he even thought about hugging her. Holding up one finger, she replied, “Touch me and you will never touch anything again.”

Fozzie wisely pulled his hands and arms back to himself.

“Kermit!” she shouted, causing the frog to turn towards her. “Dressing room. In five.”

“I’m kinda busy here.”

Abruptly turning from her path up the stairs, she turned irritated blue eyes on the director. “Did I ask you what you were doing?”

Pretty much used to the threatening tilt that her voice took when she got angry, Kermit didn’t even bat an eye or move from his position. “Well, if you’re going to be all huffy about it, I’m just gonna stay right here.”

The diva glared at the frog. The frog looked at the diva.

“If you’ve got so much excess energy,” Scooter quipped, the phone up to his ear as he waited for locksmith number ten to answer. “Why don’t you come down here and open this door?”

“Why don’t I come down there and punch you in the throat?”

“Like to see you try.”

“Okay wait, hold on,” Kermit interrupted. “Everyone calm down. You,” he said, pointing at Scooter. “Say you’re sorry when you’re done and you,” he continued, pointing at Piggy. “I will go up there when I’m done here. Now everyone, back to your designated corners.”

“Hey!” called a voice from inside the closet. “What is happenin’ out there? Are jou getting me out already?”

“I have half a mind to leave you there!” Kermit shouted. “That’ll teach you to hit on the chorus girls!”

“Look, I cannot help if they are attracted to my Guatamalaness, h’okay? The womens is always about my hotness.”

“Let’s just leave him in there,” Scooter muttered. “No locksmith in his right mind would let him out.”

“Don’t tempt me.”

[hr]

Saturday afternoon was less dramatic and hectic than the day’s morning. Against their better judgment, Scooter and Kermit had opted to get Pepe out of the storage closet, though it cost them nearly fifty bucks to do it. In hindsight, Kermit almost wished he had put Piggy’s unspent energy to good use on that door, though he ultimately did put it to good use later.

Despite the morning basically going the way they expected it to, the afternoon started with official dress rehearsing, with all acts going in show order. In many of these performances, those who weren’t planning on being on stage until later usually took a seat in the theater seats and enjoyed the show as though they were the audience. It actually did provide a somewhat tangible feeling of actually performing to people, rather than just an empty house.

Scooter, who had elected to perform his numbers at the end in order to conduct his role as manager and day director, was seated out in the audience, sending a quick text to Amanda. It was incredibly rare when the two didn’t see each other throughout the week and over the weekend, but with the show being half an hour longer and Cool Pool being closed the next day, the two found themselves without time for each other that weekend.

Scooter hoped the loss of seeing her would be worth it. He had put a plan in place and thanks to some very helpful people, it would all – hopefully – come together tomorrow night. It still didn’t mean that he wasn’t missing her terribly though; he had been gazing at her contact picture for a few minutes - envisioning her hair, her eyes, her smile, her laugh – when he felt the smack on the back of his head.

“Ow!” he cried, turning to see the culprit sit down in the row directly behind him.

“Brat,” she muttered.

“You’re one to talk,” he retorted, turning to speak to her.

“You better be nice to me, boyo,” came the retort. “Or else I’m not gonna give you that present I bought for you.”

“You mean the present that I bought?” he asked, turning around in his seat so he could talk to her directly. “So you got it then?”

Piggy gave him a look, as though he was stupid to even ask. “Of course Moi got it,” she huffed, leaning forward and towards him. “You owe me lunch.”

“I’ll owe you dinner,” the assistant said. “Tonight, if you want.”

“You aren’t having dinner with Amanda?”

“No,” he said. “She has to work.”

The red head looked so sad and so pitiful, it was all Piggy could do to not hug him. The way he was looking brought back memories of a younger Andrew Grosse, who would give her that look when he really wanted something from her.

“Poor baby,” she cooed. “This has been a horrible week for you, hasn’t it?”

“Yes.”

“Even when you’re a brat, I still like you,” she muttered, reaching into her pocket and pulling out a black, felt box. It was of medium size, slightly bigger than a ring box, which she handed to him.

Opening it, Scooter gave a sigh of relief. He had seriously been afraid that he wouldn’t be able to get this in time for Valentine’s, but leave it to Piggy to work angles that he hadn’t even thought of. “You are the best.”

“I know this,” she replied, sitting back in her chair.

“Seriously,” he continued. “My soul? Yours. Heart and admiration? Yours.”

“I’ll buy that first one,” she quipped. “But I haven’t had your heart and admiration for months now.”

“For good reason.”

“Moi will concede on that point.”

“Robin, you all set?”

“Ready, Uncle Kermit!”

The frog in question was walking down Scooter’s row, slipping past his manager, and taking the seat next to him. “Remind me to call in the upholstery guy to re-cushion these seats,” he complained.

“Want me to bring you a pillow, baby?”

“Stop trying to get on my good side,” he retorted. “You’re in trouble. Shouldn’t even be down here.”

“I keep telling you time out doesn’t work on her,” Scooter mentioned.

Their attention was diverted as Robin walked out on stage, decked out in a nice cream suit with matching vest and slacks. Obviously the look drew attention, because it caused the orchestra and those who had quickly gone to take a seat to whistle and cat call the young frog. As with a good portion of those performing, Robin had two songs in the show tomorrow.

His first song was from the popular band, The Killers called “Everything Will Be Alright”, a song that seemed to resonate with the young frog in terms of his own emotional rollercoaster and actually reflected the feeling that Kermit felt when they lost one of their partners. Just before Kermit learned about Leaper, he had been notified that one of the workers from Sesame Street had just recently passed and it was someone that the Muppets had worked with as well.

The younger frog’s second song was a more romantic one, as was as demonstrated by the way he was singing it now. Robin had always held a good following with their fans, especially some of their female fans.

“We’d better hope there aren’t any teenage girls in the audience,” Piggy murmured in the elder frog’s ear.

Kermit went to say something, but then stopped. She actually had a good point and from the way his nephew was playing to the audience, the elder frog could easily see the younger frog playing to the teen girls in the crowd.

Turning slightly, he asked, “Is there a way I could get an audience with the leader of the Muppet Axis of Evil?”

“Moi will see what she can do,” she whispered back. “And they change their name. It’s the Unholy Trinity now.”