Finding a job

animalrescuer

Reaction score
For months now, I've been trying to find a job as a veterinary technician, but so far, nothing! The veterinary clinics that turn me down either found someone else for the job or they don't want me because I don't have enough "experience". I haven't worked in a veterinary clinic since I completed my internship last summer, granted, I haven't worked in a clinic before I started college. It's getting to the point where it's extremely frustrating and I'm going nuts without a job! I guess it'll only be a matter of time before I end up having a job that doesn't involve animals, which I really want. Maybe I'll end up working in fast food! Yuck!!!

Is anyone else having this problem? You try for months, maybe years to find a job you want, but it's getting you nowhere?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Two words: The American Dream is Dead.

Okay, three words.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
These days it sure ain't easy trying to make ends meet, let alone landing The Dream Job. So many people in the same boat. People just settling for what few jobs there are out there just to survive. And beggars can't be choosers.

Nowadays you can't get a foot in the door at many places unless you know someone. Applicants who drop off resumes or go through monster.com or some other site are a dime a dozen. And you have to promote yourself, sell yourself more aggressively than the next guy. If you're the least bit shy, it's gonna make it that much tougher.

But in spite of all that, I encourage you to keep trying. And flipping burgers might hardly be the ideal career goal, but for now, even a little something is better than nothing.

Hang in there. So many others know exactly how you feel.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And you have to promote yourself, sell yourself more aggressively than the next guy. If you're the least bit shy, it's gonna make it that much tougher.
I find that to be the reverse: I've found the more aggressively you promote or sell yourself, that turns people off, because it makes you come across as shameless and desperate, which turns more people away from your than to you.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Depends on the line of work, maybe. But you do have to sell yourself in interviews, convincing your prospective employer they made the right decision in hiring YOU,
sell yourself on what an asset you'd be to the company, but yes, at the same time, not coming off as an arrogant SOB. It is a fine line.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck on looking for a job, it's tough out there, and you might have to take something at first that isn't ideal. It took me awhile to find a job out of college, and even though I'm only working part-time right now, I know I'm lucky to be working. Hope things work out for you soon.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Maybe compromise and try for a pet store or some kennel/boarding place. At least you could work around animals at the moment until you could get more experience?

animalrescuer

Reaction score
That's what my parents suggested, find a job that still involves animals like working in a grooming salon, working at PetSmart or maybe a pet-sitter. In the meantime, I'm still looking for a vet tech job, if I don't find anything, I'll look into those areas of work, at least it'll involve animals.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
Well, I still don't have a job and I'm running out of clinics to apply at! Another clinic turned me down this morning, big surprise! I've called clinics asking if there were psitions open and I've sent resumes left and right, at this point, I won't be surprised if the other clinics I'm still waiting on turn me down, I'm very close to giving up.

I also need a job that provides benefits, which is what I really need.
I don't know what else to do!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm sorry that your job search has been so frustrating so far. I can understand why you're upset, but you have a good approach in sending out resumes all over the place. Just take a deep breath and perhaps try to apply for other jobs that might not be in your field, but could give you money while you work on vet clinic jobs.