Female Monsters...They Never Last

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why is it that female monsters don't last long? First we had Rosie Monster from 1990-1992, then Mary Monster from 1992-1993, then Lulu Monster from 2001-2003. The only female monsters that lasted for a long time were Zoe and Rosita. I wouldn't mind seeing more of these lost monsters.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well, I think the only reason Lulu didn't last long was because of Stephanie D'Abruzzo's departure for Avenue Q. There's still the possibility that Lulu might come back for a bit when she's done with that.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You've forgotten about some of the more obscure female SS monsters like Jill and Ruby, and Pamela.
Would like to know, who's Rosie Monster?
And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Stephanie voicing either Mama Bear or Curly Bear these days?
Hope to hear from you soon and have a good night.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
The Count said:
And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Stephanie voicing either Mama Bear or Curly Bear these days?
Hmmm. I'm not sure. I know she worked on the "What's the Name of That Song?" DVD/Video, but I don't know if she is working on any Sesame Street this season. You're probably right.

I know John Tartagalia performed the puppet of Hoots the Owl on the DVD.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
It's probable I guess.
So, who's "Rosie Monster"?
If you could, please post a descript of what she looks like to hopefully add her to the listings.
Thanks and have a good night.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Stephanie does Curly Bear (it says that on the back of the DVD.) Rosie was the orange monster that appeared in street scenes from 1990 to 1992. One scene I remember is when Telly kept seeing a giant 11 appearing and disappearing and he kept trying to show her, but everytime she looked away the 11 would appear, and when she looked at it, it disappeared. She was also in Big Bird's Birthday TV Special singing with everyone at the beginning.

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, that was Ruby, not Rosie. That must be who you were thinking of.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh yeah...I wonder why I was thinking "Rosie" ha-ha, well that should be helpful for you Count. BTW, does anyone remember who performed Mary Monster?

ssetta

Reaction score
I believe that was Joey Mazzarino.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Y'know, when I start thinking about, I can see that. She kinda sounded like a Mazzarino character.