Fellow Church People

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes I've always enjoyed the classic "Ten Commandments". The special effects of the parting of the Red Sea are still fascinating! There's been a number of other excellent spiritual movies like "King of Kings" and one of my favorites, "Jesus", a 1979 movie shot in Israel and taken word for word from the Good News translation of the Book of Luke. "Jesus" was a great movie for seeing the complete life of Christ's ministry on earth. "Passion of the Christ" was really great for contemplating and appreciating just how much He went through on our behalf (it takes place entirely during the 12 hour period leading up to His death on the cross).
There was a movie from the early 60's called "The Bible" that had a lot of neat scenes of famous Bible stories, like Noah's Ark. And I like what one movie critic said about this movie: "This is definitely a case where you should read the book instead!" :smile:

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
I think I've seen "Jesus". I think we used to give out the VHS at our old church and to missionaries to give to other people when they went on missions trips.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I have the Passion of the Christ on DVD and I've watched it once by myself and once with a friend who's rejected his Christian faith who consented to see it. It isn't really quite as stomach-churning as some reviewers have been making it out to be but still worth an R-rating for graphic violence.:eek:
Very disturbing for some people but definitely the only R-rated movie that can possibly be thought of as beneficial to watch. Please pray for my friend Greame that the film may eventually get him to reconsider what Christ did to fulfill his need for salvation before it is too late.:concern:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Another point to make is that for me it really demonstrated just how much Jesus loves us to go through what he did.
As Christians we believe that there is only one true God composed of three separate persons Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The second person Jesus the Son dwells inside the body of Jesus the man.

Even though in his humanity Jesus submitted to the plans of His Father in Heaven, still as the divine Son of God he had the authority to miraculously call a halt to his sufferings at any point of time but He chose instead to go through with it all to save us from the penalty our sins deserve by God's righteous judgement:smile: :smile: :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Oh yes, Amen to that, Martin. His amazing sacrifice and at His own choosing, when He could have chosen to halt the sufferings at any point, brings to mind the beautiful verses mentioned in the Philippians 2:5-8 passage:

"Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus, who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God as something to be used for His own advantage. Instead He emptied Himself by assuming the form of a slave, taking on the likeness of men. And when He had come as a man in His external form, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death—even to death on a cross."

And then the following three verses (Phil. 2:9-11) beautifully give the result of this willing sacrifice of His emptying and death on a cross for us:

"For this reason God also highly exalted Him and gave Him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow —of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth - and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

Hallelujah! The stone was rolled away! He was no longer in the tomb! He is risen indeed! Jesus is Lord! Hallelujah!

And I will pray for Greame, Martin.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I just want to add that in a time that being a Christian is often ridiculed on other forums, this thread is really refreshing! It is so great to see everybody sharing their love for Christ.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
MuppetsRule said:
I just want to add that in a time that being a Christian is often ridiculed on other forums, this thread is really refreshing! It is so great to see everybody sharing their love for Christ.
I agree, that's one of the many reasons that I love this form

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Muppet Matt said:
How large? My family including my parents has 11 people in it.
Oh, good grief. That'd be a little difficult for me to answer. When I said family, I included aunts, uncles and cousins, not just my parents and brother. On my mother's side, there's my grandmother, five uncles, four aunts and six cousins. On my dad's side...well, we don't see them often enough to do a good headcount.

Usually whenever there's a funeral, I discover a few second or third cousins I never knew existed. It's also the case at weddings (which for some reason tend to be more harrowing).
We're mainly concentrated in the East, save for two of Mom's brothers who live out in California with their families, but I think I have a few relatives somewhere in Michigan.