Favorite Christmas Songs

Beebers

Reaction score
Yes, it's Carol of the Bells.

Pretty much all Christmas songs are wonderful but O Holy Night, when done properly, voice or instrumental, is, yes, transcendent is the word. The ultimate carol.

I wish we had Santa Smilies I could stick on this.

:cool:

Phantom

Reaction score
"What Child is This" is my favorite, along with "Christmastime is Here" (Charlie Brown). Just recently at Cumberland College's Madrigal Dinner they did "Mary, Did You Know?" which was always, in my mind (don't ask why), makes me think of Easter, but it makes a hauntingly brilliant Christmas tune.

Then there's "God rest ye merry, gentlemen" (great explanation of the song on the back of Manheim Steamroller Christmas CD), Jimmy Buffett's "Jingle Bells" (actually the whole Christmas Island CD is great), "So, This is Christmas (War is Over)" (Lennon) and Burl Ives singing "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer".

Dang, I'm in the spirit just thinking about it.

anathema

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Hark! How the bells, sweet silver bells
All seem to say, "Throw cares away."
Or:
Hark! Hear the bells, sweet silver bells,
All seem to say, "Ding Dong Mmmkay!"

anathema

Reaction score
Skeeter Muppet said:
Yes, I love "White Christmas" as much as the next person, but I'm more partial to a duet Bing did with David Bowie called "The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth."
I used to have a copy of this with the dialogue at the start. The song just doesn't seem the same without it :-(

Whatever

Reaction score
I love lots of Christmas songs. But it annoys me that on the John Denver and the Mupets Xmas Together CD they mispronounce the word "schlaeft." It shouldn't be an "ah" sound but "a" the way you say it in the alphabet.

anathema

Reaction score
Whatever said:
I love lots of Christmas songs. But it annoys me that on the John Denver and the Mupets Xmas Together CD they mispronounce the word "schlaeft." It shouldn't be an "ah" sound but "a" the way you say it in the alphabet.
Whose alphabet? Letters are pronounced differently in different countries...

Whatever

Reaction score
the English alphabet! aayyy, beee, seee, deee...

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Is it "Carol of the Bells?" My old church had a bell choir, and they always did that one. It's always on some commercial this time of year, a jewelry one I think?

Artist: Carpenters Lyrics
Song: Carol Of The Bells Lyrics
Link: Carpenters biography, discography and gallery

Hark! How the bells, sweet silver bells
All seem to say, "Throw cares away."
Christmas is here, bringing good cheer
To young and old, meek and the bold
Ding, dong, ding, dong, that is their song,
With joyful ring, all caroling
One seems to hear words of good cheer
From everywhere, filling the air
O, how they pound, raising the sound
O'er hill and dale, telling their tale

Gaily they ring, while people sing
Songs of good cheer, Christmas is here!
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas!
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas!

Erin
Yup, that's the one! :excited:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Have any of you heard "Wizards' Chess" by some group called Harry and the Potters? It's a hoot. It's one of the most pointless songs ever, and it's a Christmas song. My brother downloaded it a while back. I guess they played it on our local radio stations too. I got a kick out of it.
Erin

Baby Animal

Reaction score
I'm with Hera. I love Carol of the Bells. And I liked back in the 80's there was the California Raisin's Christmas Special. One of the songs was "Here we come a'wasslin' along." They made funny puns (Here we come a wafflin' along -- waffle salesmen, Here we come a waddlin' along -- ducks).