Favorite Christmas Songs

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Well, with Christmas fast approaching, I thought I'd put up a festive thread here. What are everybody's favorite Christmas songs or albums? I am a total sucker for Christmas music. I'm not sure I've ever met a Christmas song I didn't like. One nice thing about working at the mall this year is listening to Christmas music on the radio all day. :smile:

I have a few essential albums I must listen to every year: Peter Paul and Mary's Holiday Celebration, Neil Diamond's Christmas Album, John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together, John Denver's Rocky Mountain Christmas, Alvin and the Chipmunks' Christmas, and A Prairie Home Companion Christmas. I might be forgetting a couple. Plus there's all those Peter Pan Christmas records I still get a kick out of pulling out every once in a while.

As I said, I love most Christmas songs, and I know dozens - maybe hundreds - so I won't try to list them. My all-time favorite, though, is "O Holy Night." I think it's the most transcendent of any Christmas carol I've ever heard. Just gorgeous. And one I'm just itching for Art Garfunkel and/or Clay Aiken to record... :wink: Anyway, to sum up... Hooray for Christmas music! :big_grin:
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Hm, I don't think I've heard that one. :concern: What are some of the lyrics? :halo:
Erin

anathema

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Hm, I don't think I've heard that one. :concern: What are some of the lyrics? :halo:
Erin
'Course you have!

"I don't know if you believe in Christmas,
Or if you have presents underneath the Christmas tree.
But if you believe in love,
That will be more than enough
For you to come and celebrate with me."

And one of these days when I have enough space, I will buy a piano and learn to play this :smile:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
:eek: *hangs head in shame* :embarrassed: Erm, I forgot the name of it. :stick_out_tongue: Agreed, that's a great song! :smile:
Erin

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Ooh, I love Christmas music! I could listen to it all year 'round (in fact, I do!) But of course, I have some songs that I favor above others.

First and foremost is "When the River Meets the Sea." I heard this one before I heard my second favorite, and I think that it is such a beautiful song. I also tend to think of it as one of Robin's three "big" songs: this song, "Bless Us All" (which is another Christmas favorite of mine) and "Halfway Down the Stairs". My next favorite ranks pretty close to "River Meets the Sea." It's "The Peace Carol." I love that this song was sung by John and Scooter (Richard), and that it brings out the serious side of Scooter that was rarely (if ever) seen. Plus it made good use of Richard's musical talents.

I'm also a fan of the Once Upon a Christmas album that Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton recorded together. Just about every song on there is one that I enjoy, but my three favorites are "I Believe in Santa Claus," "The Greatest Gift of All" and "Once Upon a Christmas." Along with those songs I also like "Breath of Heaven" recorded by Amy Grant.

Hanging around my parents, I've come to enjoy listening to the more "traditional" Christmas tunes; you know, the ones sung by Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby. Yes, I love "White Christmas" as much as the next person, but I'm more partial to a duet Bing did with David Bowie called "The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth." Lately I've also added some more non-traditional songs to my list, such as John McDermott's "Christmas in the Trenches" (a beautiful piece about soldiers celebrating Christmas on the front lines during WWI) or Bob Carlilse's "Christmas Shoes" (yes, I like that song, dang it!).

And of course what Christmas song repetoire wouldn't be complete without the comedy classics like Allan Sherman or Bob Rivers' variations on "12 Days of Christmas" ("12 Gifts of Christmas" and "12 Pains of Christmas", respectively)? Or the ever popular "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"?

And this is just the tip of the Christmas music iceberg.

-Kim

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
My faves:
That one bell song... you know the one, where there's a whole bunch of different parts, can anytone tell me what I'm trying to think of?
The songs from the Grinch
The songs from MCC
Pass it on
The restroom door said gentlemen (Another Bob Rivers, I think) :big_grin:
And there are more, but I can't think of them right now.

jediX

Reaction score
I really like "It Feels like Christmas" (MCC), "It's in Every One Of Us" (not exactly xmas per-say, but its a very great tune...anyway, the version in the MFC medley is very powerful).

I'm not much of a Christmassy music person. Now Halloween, that holiday has some kicking tunes.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
HeraLirambar said:
My faves:
That one bell song... you know the one, where there's a whole bunch of different parts, can anytone tell me what I'm trying to think of?
Is it "Carol of the Bells?" My old church had a bell choir, and they always did that one. It's always on some commercial this time of year, a jewelry one I think?

Artist: Carpenters Lyrics
Song: Carol Of The Bells Lyrics
Link: Carpenters biography, discography and gallery

Hark! How the bells, sweet silver bells
All seem to say, "Throw cares away."
Christmas is here, bringing good cheer
To young and old, meek and the bold
Ding, dong, ding, dong, that is their song,
With joyful ring, all caroling
One seems to hear words of good cheer
From everywhere, filling the air
O, how they pound, raising the sound
O'er hill and dale, telling their tale

Gaily they ring, while people sing
Songs of good cheer, Christmas is here!
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas!
Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas!

Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Skeeter Muppet said:
First and foremost is "When the River Meets the Sea." I heard this one before I heard my second favorite, and I think that it is such a beautiful song.
That song really struck me when I first heard it. Have you ever noticed the tune is kinda similar to "Amazing Grace?" Or maybe it's the rhythm scheme. I remember that jumping out at me. But I think it's a beautiful song (though I thought it was Scooter singing when I first heard it :embarrassed: ). It doesn't really seem like a Christmas song to me, but it's still quite possibly my favorite song on the album.

Yes, I love "White Christmas" as much as the next person, but I'm more partial to a duet Bing did with David Bowie called "The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth."
That duet is awesome! I first heard it on a VH1 countdown of great rock and roll moments on TV. It's very pretty and very powerful. Along those lines, I love John Lennon's "War Is Over/So This is Christmas" with the chorus of children in the background. Another great Christmas song that resonates all year round.
Erin