Farscape vs. Star Trek

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hello there.

I haven't seen a single episode of Farscape, so I am depending on you people to tell me...

How does it compare with Star Trek?

Should I buy some episodes?

Which ones are best?

Anything else I should know?

Beauregard

Reaction score
So, how does it compare? Special effects? Characters? Story-lines? Story arcs? Acting?

Reaction score
the story lines in farscape are great my favorite episode is scrach and snife but thats because its funny. the reality is that its hard to compare two things that are in reality different from each other.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ah, I see.

In what way are they diferent?

I understand that Fascape is more internal story, while most Star Treks are one off outside stories, where they save a planet, or an alien, or something.

Is Farscape most like Voyageer? Next Generation?

Ed man

Reaction score
:smile: I consider myself a Trekie and I LOVE farscape. The story is so much better. Farscape is a bit more grittier than a Star Trek, but it makes the story that much stronger.

I was a bit sceptical at first but I got hooked. The early seasons are a bit chessy because special effects aren't great but they improve over time. Getting used to talking puppets was a big issue too. Sure, we all love the Muppets, but seeing them (all be it original creatures made of foam) talking to humans see a bit odd. Especially if they are violent puppets, cuss or talk about sex.

Aside from visual effects, the story plots are excellent. There are story arc that stretch and the characters develop over time. You become so emotionally attached to the characters that I found myself crying with them when things went bad (and I never cried with Star Trek).

I suggest locating a copy of THE BEST OF SEASON ONE of Farscape, it has 6 episodes from the first season that the following seasons build up on. These are probably the strongest shows for it beginnings because the early season was really cheep and chessy. All the important stuff that you need to know (establish) is in the BEST OF set. Then I encourage you to get every volume of the series from thereon.

I really urge you to give the show a try. I really became hooked on the show about from season 2 finale and from there commited to seeing them all.

If you need anymore info. let me know.

-Eric

Reaction score
don't get the best of because it will not give you the whole story(not saying you need it) but the show is more interesting if you watch from the begining. i saw things that i haden't noticed from just watching random episodes on tv. if you relly think you will like it( which if you are going through all this trouble on the forum to find out about it) go to best buy and buy the new starburst edition DVD's with 7 episodes and a bunch of features that are awsome!

Beauregard

Reaction score
OK. I think what I'll do, is start with the Best Of (when I get next month's tips at work, maybe)

And if I like it, I'll go on from there.

Thanks for your help guys.

EDIT: Oh, oh. Also, Star Trek has a bunch of paper-back novels based on the series, are there any of these for Farscape?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Definitely

Here's a list of Farscape paperbacks released and available on Amazon.com Some of these are stuff like illustrated companions to the show, but there are also original novels too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...e=books/ref=xs_ap_l_xgl14/102-2298326-6642514

By the way, as far as comparing Farscape to Star Trek goes, I think that entirely depends on which series you're referring to. I haven't ever really seen Farscape although I've heard lots of good things about it. I've always been a Trekkie and my favorite series is still Star Trek: The Next Generation. From there, my next favorites would probably be Star Trek (the original series), Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise. (I haven't seen much of this, but it is neat to see "Dr. Sam Beckett" (Scott Bakula) as a Starfleet captain. He's perfect for that role. And you can't forget the Star Trek: The Animated Series (the 1973-1974 cartoon series based on the original series with many of the original voices.) And then there's the 10 movies, with the 11th. on the way. I also have many of the original novels and there's a lot to be found there. I've liked all the movies except for the 10th. one (Star Trek: Nemesis)- although there are a few good moments- like Cmdr. Riker finally marrying Counselor Troi, I hated the others things they did to ST:TNG in the movie.
The 11th. movie seems to be a prequel to Star Trek: Enterprise and deals with the Romulan war and establishment of the Neutral Zone, I believe. I may have gotten that wrong though. Sounds interesting though. It's still better than the Adventures of Wesley Crusher at Starfleet Academy!

So, in conclusion, I actually really don't know much of anything about Farscape, but I liked taking this opportunity to rant about Star Trek!

:crazy: :smirk: :attitude:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider myself a trekkie, but I personally think that the original Star Trek is better than Farscape. I don't watch DS9 or any of the newer ones, so I can't comment on those really. However from what I do know, I think that Star Trek is more mature than Farscape.

That was always my problem with Farscape; I found it a bit...less mature. Its not a bad show by any means, but I just feel that the humor was a bit tacky. Also, I found it hard to jump into the show mid-way through. I tried, but never got that into it. I'd like to see it from episode 1 on; maybe my feelings would be a little different. Star Trek is easier to watch a single episode of in my opinion, if only for the fact that the story is so well known at this point. And because of Shatner who is the man. :smile: Denny Crane!!! :big_grin: