Family Circus movie (facepalm)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Still, I mean, was it really necessary? I mean in the comic itself, just about the only "adult" thing I can remember happening was Wanda breastfeeding Wren.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I just had a realization. I have to requote here...

A far better example, if you ask me. They made a SHOW based on a single panel comic strip, a cartoon series, years later a movie. Then another cartoon series. Then another movie

Then ANOTHER movie...

And a TV show based on that movie.

And a musical.

Of course, that's unfair because they were all good. Well, maybe not the 60's cartoon series. Lennie Weinrib's did not do the research Gomez Addams voice ruined it.
I love this example. Addams Family Reunion wasn't terrible, but I hated how Gomez and Morticia lolok amused when Fester's dog attacks Cousin Itt. They're odd, but they love their family.

robodog

Reaction score
Look on the bright side. This is one of those rare occasions where the film adaptation can't possibly suck worse than the source material.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seriously, why does everyone in the world hate Family Circus? Is it because it's a religious comic or something?

robodog

Reaction score
It's not funny. It's basically cute overload. Read enough of them and you'll end up with diabetes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not ALL comics HAVE to be funny... there's some good comics out there that take a different approach, both Heralde and Newsie can attest to that with Doonesbury, I've read my share of some pretty good webcomics that take a more serious/heavy route as opposed to humor.

As for Family Circus, I don't necessarily agree about the cuteness overload, however, I do enjoy the homey, simplistic feel it has to it... almost like the Andy Griffith of comic strips.

robodog

Reaction score
I realize there are more serious comics out there. I have no problem with those. I don't even have a problem with cute normally and can even enjoy cute things from time to time. Family Circus is a bit much for me. It's cool if you like it though. The world would be a pretty boring place if we were all the same. After all I like Marmaduke. Pretty much everyone hates that too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not funny. It's basically cute overload. Read enough of them and you'll end up with diabetes.
Yeah, it's basically precocious children saying precocious things for the sake of being precocious. Not to mention the "old person understanding of technology" jokes they always throw it.

I will say I get the Garfield hatedom, considering the comic is so digitally produced (in terms of writing AND art) these days, and the fact that Mark Evanier wrote for the character better anyway (that's why he's still writing the cartoon shows and the comic book). But other than that, Garfield had some great stuff under his belt. Other than those 2 lousy live action movies, that is. Family Circus only had 2 overly diabetic specials (I saw one when I was younger and I wasn't too impressed), and that's about it. Every single comic they have is, as I said, precociousness to the millionth power. Sigh... of only ONE of the kids was like Mandy from Billy and Mandy.

robodog

Reaction score
No matter how bad the Garfield comic gets we'll always have Garfield and Friends.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Garfield suffers from being around QUITE a bit.

That's why newspaper strips are a dying art. The ones that have been around are exhausted, the newer ones are hit and miss ranging from very good, to "haven't we seen this already?" to "Someone gets PAID for that? Scratch that... Someone MADE that?"

Family Circus is old person who loves grandchildren humor. It sells to that audience. But for anyone else, it's like that crummy e-mail that your parents send you that they swear is funny, but clogs up your inbox. It's that the comic.

That said, the fact that Mother Goose and Grimm is so under-appreciated gets me down. All that ever had was a one season cartoon series. It lasted 2 seasons, but the only thing new about the second season was the theme song.