Eyes...ping pongs are too small....

BorkBork

Reaction score
You know, i was watching Fraggle Rock, and was looking at their eyes and i thought, hey, i haven't figured out how to make those kind of eyes for my puppets... :rolleyes:

does anyone know, because i am getting ready soon to assemble a puppet, and i will need some eyes....

Thanks!

/Anders

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
well, for the Herry Monster and Placido Flamingo stuffed animals that i made (yes, i did!!!) i just used t-shirt material. i got a white shirt and cut the material into little eyes! for the only puppet i've ever made (his name is phil), i used cardboard cuz he wears don music glasses!

BorkBork

Reaction score
thank you, paul - was it? - for your post, but i actually want to do round fraggle-type eyeballs. And they need to look really good too :wink:

I was thinking of christmastree-balls but they are too likely to break :wink:

/Anders

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I believe a lot of the Fraggle eyes were made from fishing floats, which we use pretty extensively with our puppets.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Buck,

Hey,
Hmmm... i never heard of that before.

Could you give me some more details, Like if there is a specific type ?

Thanks

BorkBork

Reaction score
Originally posted by Buck-Beaver
I believe a lot of the Fraggle eyes were made from fishing floats, which we use pretty extensively with our puppets.
So, i could basically use styrofoamballs then?

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Eye's...

Bork Bork,

Contact David Pannabecker at Arms Length Productions - www.armslength.com. He has a supplier for round white half sphere-type eyes. They have posts on the back with a washer that locks them into place. I'm sure Henson probably has a similar supplier if not the same one. I think the size of the sphere is 35mm. This is a standard size on many puppets but not all. They use all kinds of things for eyes in the Henson Workshop but I think this is a common size for some characters. Hope that helps you.

Fragglerockr (Lee)

BorkBork

Reaction score
i've seen those eyes, they are great. although i want them full round, not halfes. I'm just gonna go for the styrofoamballs, and put some shiny glossy on them :wink:

/Anders

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Eyes...

Bork,

I'd still go ahead and email David. He's figured out a way to make them out of two halves of the spheres. Darren, from Dpuppets (www.dpuppets.com) told me that David Pannabecker taught a workshop on how to make a full circular eye at a puppetry conference a while back. I'd still email him. It would look a lot better than the styrofoam since it's not porous.

If you can't get David to email you right back (he's pretty busy from time to time) I'd email Darren. Go to his site and look under puppet talk and type the question into that forum and he'll answer pretty quickly.

Later,

Fragglerockr

BorkBork

Reaction score
Thanks Fragglerockr! I'll go ahead and do that! :big_grin:

/Anders