Eureka's Castle

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I was just thinking about EC the other day when i found an old coloring book of it i had. speaking of other puppet shows, did anyone here ever watch 'Under the Umbrella Tree'?

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Electric Mayhem,
I spend a small part of every time I'm online looking for episodes of "Under the Umbrella Tree." I lived that show SO much. Who could forget Gloria, Iggy, Jacob...and of course their good friend Holly. :smile: I miss it so. Noone on the planet seemed to like it enough to tape it though :frown:

-Matt

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
I loved UTUT too! :smile: I used to watch it at my grandparents' when I was younger...*sigh* Ahhhh, the good ol' days... :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
"Under The Umbrella Tree" was on in the US? I didn't know that! :cool:

The show was produced in Ottawa, Ontario for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. It was created by Noreen Young, who is a very well known puppeteer and builder up here. Here's a few websites by folks who worked on the show:

Noreen Young Productions - Online home of Noreen Young. The website has photos of Gloria, Maggie & BJ plus many of Noreen's other creations.

Matt Ficner is a Canadian puppeteer who began his career interning on this show and now performs in a variety of shows, including the new series "Ace Lightning."

Until recently the puppets from the show were on display at the CBC Broadcast Centre in Toronto. I think they are now part of the same exhibit at the Museum of Civilization in Ottawa. If you want to buy tapes of the show I think they are still available through CBC.

The mailing address I have for tape enquiries is:

CBC Enterprises
Box 500, Station A
Toronto, Ontario
M5W 1E6 Canada

You can also try contacting CBC Audience Relations through cbc.ca.

Now - did anybody watch "Today's Special" or "Bookmice"?

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Buck,
Are these commercial releases or per-episode tapes sold directly through the company? Do you know if they would be willing to see a complete run? I have never heard of "Today's Special" or "Bookmice," leading me to believe it hasn't aired in the US. Jeeze, you Canadians have all the fun!!! :smile:

-Matt

matleo

Reaction score
Oh no, "today's Special" aired in the US on Nickelodeon waaaay back in like '83 or so when Nick first started. It was about a dept. store and there was this mannequin who cam to lif ehwn they put a special hat on him and said the magic words that dme him ome alive and there was mouse (puppet) a security guard (puppet) and this woman Joni (I think) who..well, I don't really rmember what she did. She stockedthe shleves at night or something. it was weird. oh right, the show ony took place at night after the stoe had closed. I loved that sow. my wife and I were talkign about it just a few weeks ago.

Anybdy remember Pinwheel? How about Allegra's Window?

beaker

Reaction score
Matt!!! Holy cow, you remember Today's Special about the NYC department store! Ok, now ya wanna get into obscure 80's puppet shows? What about Great Space Coaster, Buster and Me, etc? Gosh I ate those show sup with a spoon when I was a kid!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by matleo

Anybdy remember Pinwheel? How about Allegra's Window?
Pinwheel I never saw, but I do know a bit about it. That was one of the first Nick Jr. puppet shows as I recall reading. A precurser to Eureeka's Castle. Allegra's Window I remember seeing very few times, mainly because I watched an episode or 2 and didn't like it whatsoever.

-Matt

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Does anybody remeber Gugga Gugga Island and some of the Fox preschool shows from late 90's like one with the animals on the island and this one show with Elephant toy and his friends.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Matt!!! Holy cow, you remember Today's Special about the NYC department store!
Today's Special was about a TORONTO department store Beaker!!! Crazy American lab assistants, you think everything is set in YOUR country! LOL :stick_out_tongue:

I think "Today's Special" ran on Nick or Disney in the US.

Cantus, I don't know what "Umbrella" tapes are available (it's probably not the whole run - they did about 260 episodes!). You could try contacting Noreen Young through the website I posted - it was her show so she will likely know better than anyone where to get tapes and what's available.

I think "Bookmice" had a run on TLC for a couple of years when they carried more kid's shows. Incidently, "Bookmice" was set in the library right across the street from us in Toronto! They only used the library for exteriors though - most of the show was shot on a soundstage somewhere else in the city.