Eric Jacobson vs. Frank Oz?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
That really changes things, i don't think i have heard that tone of Eric's voice. Wow frist taking over almost all of Frank's muppets now one of Jim's wow that must have been a bit scary. Of corse you have to think that many youngsters are'nt going to rember what Guy sounded like, so if it really does bring him back then i say GO ERIC!!!!!!!

wiley207

Reaction score
Yeah, Steve should probably try Guy Smiley. But they CAN recast Prince Cha-Cha-Charming to Eric Jacobson. He'd probably make him sound like the original Prince Charming!

dabauckham

Reaction score
I think that it was Eric's Miss Piggy from AVMMM that first floored me - I honestly didn't realize that Frank Oz wasn't involved with the project for quite some time! But I have to admit that I haven't rewatched the movie again and again (even though I liked it, own it, and have seen it a couple of times). I think I'll need to tune in more carefully to those voices Eric is now voicing to pick out the subtle differences. Not that a few differences are a bad thing, neccesarily. Though I have to say I could never get used to Steve Whitmire's Kermit, try as I might... Not knocking Steve at all, certainly, just that there are certain voices/spirits that just can't be totally captured, it seems, no matter what. But those that never knew the other voice shouldn't have any problems accepting the voice. I think it's hardest for those of us that grew up with one character voice/puppeteer and have had to accept the hard reality that things, people, and muppets change!

MWoO

Reaction score
anytimepally said:
last summer.. it was just for a PBS commercial.. I don't think he's been back on Sesame Street yet

you can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBf60vnrpDc
Well it soundsn othing like Guy other than the enthusiasim, but it does sound a great deal like Kermit. So, can Eric just do everything?

dabauckham

Reaction score
anytimepally said:
last summer.. it was just for a PBS commercial.. I don't think he's been back on Sesame Street yet

you can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBf60vnrpDc
Hmm... after seeing the commercial, I have to agree with Snowth and Anytimepally about Eric's Guy Smiley. I don't think the role is quite right for Eric Jacobson. It just felt a little...artificial somehow.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well i had to think about it for a day before i really posted about how Eric's Guy sounded. I really liked it, i do think Jim's was a little deeper, but no one is perfect. The way i really feel about the new muppeters taking on some of Jim's Richard's Frank's and Jerry's muppets is if they where really loved then i say they sould be done. i also feel they should be done offten, when you find somthing that works use it and use it a lot is my moto.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think Eric's Guy Smiley sounded fine. Not a lot like Jim's, but enough to make it acceptable. As long as they capture the personalities, I don't mind if the voices themselves are off.

dabauckham

Reaction score
heralde said:
I think Eric's Guy Smiley sounded fine. As long as they capture the personalities, I don't mind if the voices themselves are off.
Yeah, that's a good point. Maybe it will grow on me...

spcglider

Reaction score
I'm sure that the story has been told here before, but what I learned from Jerry Juhl back in '04 was that when they brought Eric in to audition for Piggy, he asked "Which Piggy do you want? First season, second, third? Muppet Movie Piggy?.." etc. The "auditioners" replied, "We didn't know there was a difference."

So he proceeded to nail each version for them.

Now, I gotta respect that. But for some reason, I don't believe that he's been "nailing" Fozzie like I suspect he can. Being a Fozzie fan, I can tell you the differences over the years in Fozzie' voice. And probably the least appealing is the "overblown moron" Fozzie that he's been portrayed as in the last few films. Its a complete hold-over from is appearance as Squire Trelawney in Muppet Treasure Island.. and it's VERY uncomplimentary to a character that, in reality, is quite astute. He's not stupid... no more than any of the other Muppets in their sliding scale of intellect and innocence. They've been playing him as a complete brainless fool.

Now, I don't know if Eric has anything to do with that ultimately. He may be just performing the character as he's been told. I know that when the Palisades Muppet figures were being made, Palisades wanted to do a "First season Fozzie" figure, but JHC Marketing put a kibosh on it for one reason or another. Evidently they just wanted the "NEW" Fozzie to be represented.
So it may be that there's a deliberate "dumbing down" of Fozzie. Who knows? Once the character moved beyond the control of Frank, he was subject to the whims of whoever was at the director's chair.

And I certainly don't think Eric is doing justice to Animal.

So, on the whole, I'd have to put in my vote for Frank. Both then and now.

-Gordon