Episodes that Have Stuck with You

dwmckim

Reaction score
Yeah - i also remember the Happy Caps episode and also found it hilarious. There was another great Elmo-gets-angry episode that i actually just rewatched as i was converting old tapes to dvd - Elmo wants to show Maria his "silly wiggle thing" but Maria is super busy and doesn't have time to watch. Every time he tries to show he, she gets interupted by the phone or a customer or something. He keeps thinking of ways to get her attention which fails each time (like dressing up as "Customer Elmo" and bringing in his own toaster) and seeing his frustrated freak outs after each failed attempt was hilarious (this was before the shaggier Elmo debuted and while the character still had a slight lisp and was still funny and endearing). Towards the end Elmo decides to show Maria that he's angry - of course now Maria has time and asks him what he wanted to show her and he responds by letting out a primal anger scream...and Maria's reaction is classic ("Well...that certainly _was_ interesting. I've never seen anything quite like THAT before!")

ssetta

Reaction score
Yeah - i also remember the Happy Caps episode and also found it hilarious. There was another great Elmo-gets-angry episode that i actually just rewatched as i was converting old tapes to dvd - Elmo wants to show Maria his "silly wiggle thing" but Maria is super busy and doesn't have time to watch. Every time he tries to show he, she gets interupted by the phone or a customer or something. He keeps thinking of ways to get her attention which fails each time (like dressing up as "Customer Elmo" and bringing in his own toaster) and seeing his frustrated freak outs after each failed attempt was hilarious (this was before the shaggier Elmo debuted and while the character still had a slight lisp and was still funny and endearing). Towards the end Elmo decides to show Maria that he's angry - of course now Maria has time and asks him what he wanted to show her and he responds by letting out a primal anger scream...and Maria's reaction is classic ("Well...that certainly _was_ interesting. I've never seen anything quite like THAT before!")
That was episode 3557.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I think the main reason for that was because there were too many 'imaginary Snuffy' references which kids who watch SS today wouldn't understand. But I still think that could have worked. They could maybe edit around the 'imaginary Snuffy' parts. Plus they'd also have Marty Robinson dub over Brian Muehl's lines as Telly like in 'Big Bird in China.'

On a new subject, there is one that I sort of thought of. Right now I'm working on this story and I'm thinking of putting Sonny Friendly in it and that got me to think of the first time I saw him on the street (not sure whether or not that's when he made his debut, but anyway). I remember he forced Maria to play a 'Wheel of Fortune' like game with him and since she was the only contestant she still continued playing even when she lost a turn so she would have won no matter what. There were three rounds. The first was in the Fix-It-Shop where she won an alarm clock which actually belonged to the lady she was fixing it for. Then the second was at Hooper's when she won a napkin holder which belonged to David. Then the third was when she was in her bathroom and she won a bar of soap which was actually her own. Anyway, I had that in mind and I thought this would be the place to bring it up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I recall a similar bit where Sonny Friendly pops up at Hooper's Store, and has Gina play, lol.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
In keeping with the "Classic Sesame" theme, Mr. Hooper's passing has always stuck with me...I still remember watching the episode like it was yesterday. The producers really handled Will Lee's passing in a truthful, yet pure Sesame Street way and I still feel it is one of the most memorable moments in television history...I still get teary eyed when I watch clips of it.

Crazy31088

Reaction score
To me, the episode which sticks with me the most (which is now on YouTube) is the one where Bob's friend Bernie tunes Oscar's piano to sound awful, and Grungetta starts spending a lot of time with him, which makes Oscar jealous. So, he enlists Olivia to go out with Bernie to keep him away from Grungetta, which works out because they really like each other. But in the end it turns out the only reason Grungetta liked Bernie in the first place was because he was dirty since he was spending time in Oscar's trash can to tune his piano! Definitely one of my favorites, and to me it represented the best of what Sesame Street could do.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A more current one that stuck with me was that Telly and Oscar "Road Trip" story line. If nothing else for seeing Telly tell off Oscar. But we got some great lines like "You're not on that new Grouch Diet, are you?" and the return of the Two headed Monster's word sounding out thing. But mostly for Telly shouting at Oscar.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Speaking of Telly and trips, I'm suddenly remembering an episode from I believe was from Season 30 or so... I seem to remember seeing it during 1999 or so in which Telly is set for a playdate with Big Bird, and Mumford decides to help Telly get there quicker, but ends up zapping Telly to various different places, including a ranch out west where Telly asks a cowgirl "Can you tell me how to get... how to get to Sesame Street?"