EM.TV to Sell Muppets to Jim Henson's Children for $89 Million

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Jamie: I'll agree that Bernie Mac is a good show, and That 70's Show is something of a guilty pleasure. I suppose Wednesday would be the other night of the week that the Muppets would play well, when those shows are on. But I just want the Muppets to be on the BEST night, to get the most exposure. I didn't think about 24--it's a quality show, but it wouldn't be compatible programming with the Muppets.

I suppose there are more quality shows on Fox, but the fact is that the network WANTS us to think of them as the network where masked bachelors compete to become rock stars. That's why I avoid the network usually, except on Sunday nights.

Believe me, I never suggested ABC as the alternative. Even if they weren't so confused about their identity right now, the symbolism is all wrong. "Hey, folks, remember when ABC brought you the Muppets a few years ago and it bombed? Well, for no apparent reason, we're doing it again!"

I doubt Greg the Bunny got axed because the Muppets were coming on board. Fox would LOVE to have compatible programming. But the ratings weren't great, and frankly the show wasn't that funny. Plus they had at least one really politically incorrect episode ("Greg Gets Puppish"), and it probably got some people in Hollywood really ticked off. (Ironically, it was probably their best episode.)

So I'm not too upset over Greg's demise. I just hope Fox won't hold it against all puppet shows. And while I'm at it, they need to bring back Andy Richter Controls the Universe! :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get what you mean, but actually ABC is worse on the reality TV front these days. I guess that since most of my work these days is from home that I catch a lot of TV. I am totally addicted to 24. Only two shows left! It has to be one of the best shows on television. :eek:

Luke

Reaction score
Re: I HAVE RETURNED!

Originally posted by Movies205
Fox works like this if it survives more than one season it probelry going last a long time. Shows like Greg the Bunny or Fastlane got cancel after one season, but shows like Malcom in the Middle, Simpsons, 24, and others last for a long time. I think with FOX they won't restrict the muppets but it will certainly cancel it fast if it doesn't produce good ratings.
Yeah this is my problem with Fox, that is exactly how they are - it's the tried and tested Rupert Murdoch way of running a media company the whole world over. There has never been a Muppet Show (or even Henson show) that has really instantly taken off - with the brand name this is something Fox instinctively would feel is a project that shouldn't be too much hassle. With a decent amnount of promotion that the Muppets were coming to Fox they'd be expecting to get a fairly large viewing audience in early with more following on - maybe the whole nostalgia boom and edgy concept will get them that but possibly it'll be the same as we've seen before. To be truthful i don't see the Henson and Fox internal politics as working all that well together but as the other guys have said, maybe it is the only place left for the Muppets and with the type of show and the fresh production talent it might just work. As you say, if they can get past the first season they're laughing but it's that first season that Henson always finds tricky.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I continue to disagree that the Muppets would have a harder time fitting in with Fox as opposed to another network. If you remember Muppet history correctly - no network has given the Muppet Show gang a good shot at a series.

The Muppet Show was syndicated because no network wanted it; The Henson Hour was a mid-season replacement that was axed a few months later from NBC's lineup (April-July 89) and ABC also pulled Muppets Tonight before even giving it a solid shot. 2/3 of the episodes didn't even air on ABC. They hit the Disney Channel instead.

My hope is that Fox will give the show a better chance and a little more "out of the box" creative freedom. I'm thinking they will offer a 13-episode run and then decide if it will be renewed. That's something that the main three networks don't do these days. I really think the best bet for the Muppets is either Fox or cable. With the major networks, a couple of bad shows and it could be booted. However, Fox kept pushing the Family Guy even after inconsistent ratings. It was given several chances (over 3-4 seasons) to gain an audience. I think that shows their commitment. That wouldn't happen anywhere else.

Also, Fastlane has not been canceled as of today's date. It's future is unclear, but there has been no word from the network. I wonder if it's cross promotion and airings on MTV are paying off? That's another thing. Fox utilizes cross-promotion into cable markets (MTV, FX etc). The others don't as much.

I just don't get the negative speculation here when no real substance has been released on the issue. If anything I see many more positive aspects to this deal. I am cautiously optimistic and see very little cause for the alarm I’ve been hearing.
:concern:

Movies205

Reaction score
Re: Re: I HAVE RETURNED!

Originally posted by Luke
Yeah this is my problem with Fox, that is exactly how they are - it's the tried and tested Rupert Murdoch way of running a media company the whole world over. There has never been a Muppet Show (or even Henson show) that has really instantly taken off - with the brand name this is something Fox instinctively would feel is a project that shouldn't be too much hassle. With a decent amnount of promotion that the Muppets were coming to Fox they'd be expecting to get a fairly large viewing audience in early with more following on - maybe the whole nostalgia boom and edgy concept will get them that but possibly it'll be the same as we've seen before. To be truthful i don't see the Henson and Fox internal politics as working all that well together but as the other guys have said, maybe it is the only place left for the Muppets and with the type of show and the fresh production talent it might just work. As you say, if they can get past the first season they're laughing but it's that first season that Henson always finds tricky.
Ya, and that is exactly how it is Luke... There is no other network unless you wnat UPN to have it, and the rating on that station are terrible and the show suck... We just have to wait and see... I rather see a TV-Movie on fox introducing the Muppets and then the show following...

radionate

Reaction score
I really think that NBC is going to jump at the chance for some more made for TV Muppet Movies (which we've all heard buzz about), and FOX will jump at the series. I feel that's actually the smartest move that they could make, as FOX doesn't really have as strong a hold of family film promotions as NBC does.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah NBC may well go for another movie, i guess the budget will be a fair bit smaller though but i think the last one was over what they needed so that's ok. I don't think there is that much alarm - i just casually mentioned that i didn't think the Muppets would work out on Fox from how i knew them and suggested NBC might be better to have the Movie/TV on the same channel. Obviously i didn't know NBC that well nowdays though so maybe Fox is the best place.

They have been offered a 13 show run Jamie, it's greenlighted subject to certain things, but it wouldn't suprise me if they make a renewal decision into the first season. I don't think Fox is going to be any different than any of the big networks in trashing a show after a few bad one's - thats how it is everywhere in TV these days and there are as many examples of Fox ditching shows early as there are them giving them chances. Though in most cases (as in 'Family Guy') these seem to be animation shows which are easier to manage and which Fox has tried to build a reputation on so they would have got a bit more legroom. It's pretty hard usually to clearly say which way any Murdoch company is going to go because many decisions are made on a whim - if they've decided Muppets are flavor of the month they'll stick by them no matter what but it can go the other way just as easily. I've seen a grown man reduced to a quivering wreck after a phone call from Rupert where he decided to ditch the most popular shows and change strategy totally just a few days from a season launch, and another older guy walked out of one office and kept on walking - nobody saw him for two years until he turned up back at his desk one morning.

I do see positive aspects to the deal - at least they are getting on a 'cool' channel in the first place and at least they have a deal. Team Todd producing is going to be fantastic and maybe what makes the whole thing work out. If they can get more movies with NBC then great - it's half of the battle won and with the licensing they can continue to do well and build things up again. It does dissapoint me that we probably won't see the really big boom the Muppets would have had under Disney though - the kind where you can't walk out of your house without seeing, eating, wearing and hearing Muppets 24/7 for a least a month.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
It does dissapoint me that we probably won't see the really big boom the Muppets would have had under Disney though - the kind where you can't walk out of your house without seeing, eating, wearing and hearing Muppets 24/7 for a least a month.
Aw, but one has to wonder about long term preservation...already I cant go anywhere without being reminded of the Muppets(Sesame or Muppet Show) be it at the mall or grocery store. I had begun to almost side with a Disney buyout for this very reason, a new Muppet mnainstream boom...but I have total confidence in Rivkin and company's vision for a new Muppet era. Brian Henson himself said it was agoniziing seeing the franchise being torn around through these buyout limbos, so I am sure they are anxious to get things moving.

This story just goes to show in the end the good guys really can win...sentimental in a TMM sort of way, sure...but the Muppets are not your average 'nostalgic' brand.

As for the Fox thing...oh I hope so bad that still happens...I think with the right classic/edgy forumula and marketing this could really put the Muppets back on the map. I dont forsee 'another Muppets tonight'...as creativitely I think JHC ha slearned their lesson. As foranother NBC movie, hey, sounds good to me.

Movies205

Reaction score
But don't you see Luke we don't want a "Boom" it only saturates the market till there is nothing left... Look at winnie the pooh, for a while we saw nothing but winnie the pooh but now it gone... We want a lasting thing wiht hte muppets... Not just one month of the muppet then there gone for all eternity... When you saturate the market with tons of muppet stuff, it gets old and hte public moves on... Look at Pokemon, Beenie Babies, and other fad and things liek that... No it best that Disney doesn't own them...

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Movies205
But don't you see Luke we don't want a "Boom" it only saturates the market till there is nothing left... Look at winnie the pooh, for a while we saw nothing but winnie the pooh but now it gone... We want a lasting thing wiht hte muppets... Not just one month of the muppet then there gone for all eternity... When you saturate the market with tons of muppet stuff, it gets old and hte public moves on... Look at Pokemon, Beenie Babies, and other fad and things liek that... No it best that Disney doesn't own them...
That is true now that I think about it. I mean, geez look at Elmo...that ended up not being such a good thing for the Muppet name as far as the public backlash. And yeah, the Winnie th ePooh thing is a good example. There needs to be a balance. Just a couple years ago you were hard pressed to find *any* Muppet stuff in stores(referring to Muppet Show characters) and now youre starting to see a healthy dose...but not *over saturation* I dont mind if it is quality...but yeah, a Disney backed explosion Im not sure, if that would be good in the long run....as it might be a quick burn out. I like the current momentum of *quality* Muppet stuff.