EM.TV to Sell Muppets to Jim Henson's Children for $89 Million

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Heh, well you know what the Trash Heap says 'ya can never leave the magic'. Then again I was hit with two bombshells within the span of an hour yesterday(the buyback news/carol spinny-oscar appearence) so sometimes it takes what it takes:wink:

Now here is the question...we know the Fox Show is now more of a possibility since Disney is no longer in the picture...but what about a possible late 2003 Muppetfest? :confused:
That's a might good question....

Another one is could we see Muppet/Sesame crossovers agina in movies and the new show?

Will Kermit return to Sesame Street?

I'd say yes and no... we'll just have to see

Kye

Reaction score
I was out of town the past week and just got the news!!!! YIPPPIEE!!! Yay! I am so excited that i could bust!:big_grin: :crazy:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think it's going to be the same as it was during EM.TV's fledgling control of JHC. I don't foresee a downfall by any means because there's the possibility it could be worse, but with everything being built up the way it has lately with the tv movie and merchandise, they can only really go up more--IF it's all handled correctly. That means that they can't get relaxed any, but maintain the stream of appearances and products/projects they've been doing so far.

What did EM.TV really do for them? Did they produce MuppetFest or the TV Movie? Did they really distribute all that much? I've not seen Fraggles or TMS et al on TV in the past couple'a years. I dunno. Of course, I was against the EM.TV thing from the beginning, so I will never see any good in their ever having had control of JHC. So, maybe someone else knows something to enlighten me? :confused:

But, with all the recent news and hubbub-buzz in the news industry about this re-purchase there's going to be the re-ignition of interest by folks who were wavering in that Muppet interest; but at the same time there's those of us who've never lost touch with our love of the Muppets.

I think that if the Henson Five will maintain the level of appearances and projects planned that things will be okay, but (as I said) if they relax any, it's back to 1991.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If they screw this one up, I'm a gonna be plen'ny angree, man!

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i agree it's going to be the same - i don't see a massive difference in 1991-2001 than now. In that time we had MCC and MTI and under EMTV we had the Xmas movie and a bit of promotion. I don't think things will get worse so yes, maybe things can only go up from here but then again, money will be even more important now a private group of individuals are running the company. I don't think the Henson kids are just going to bank roll the company blindly and there is obviously a limit to what they have so every show needs to be a hit from now on. I do think Rivkin runs the company far better than Brian did (he's more of a creative type) so yeah, just build on what is already shaping up and move very slowly, you just aren't going to achieve anything like they would had with Disney though.

The first year under EMTV was great, they had good plans, started to build on them and i think Rivkin/Haffa worked well together. You may not notice it in the states but EMTV has done a fabulous job distributing Henson shows in Europe and also really built up JHC's original childrens productions (Hoobs, Construction Site) in the UK and Europe which is exactly what they aimed to do at the start. I don't think it's that EMTV broke promises, they were doing what they said and things might have gone very well if it wasn't for the company troubles - they did what they had to do in the end. People mention Fraggle & TMS re-runs a lot - those two shows have always been up for the taking in the USA, they are listed in EMTV's distribution portfolio - it's just nobody has bought them there.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
People mention Fraggle & TMS re-runs a lot - those two shows have always been up for the taking in the USA, they are listed in EMTV's distribution portfolio - it's just nobody has bought them there.
I see. Perhaps, then, if we plan on seeing those we need to begin writing letters, "Please put these on your channel at syndication hour..."

beaker

Reaction score
Re: Wow! You know what...Wow!

Originally posted by Koozbanian Foob

I'm an optimist. At least, I am when it comes to Jim Henson, his creations and his legacy. I believe in the dream, as corny as it sounds.
Oh gosh, what sweet sweet words to hear you say...like a seraphim choir ushering in the tuning of an orchestra.
Indeed, it all goes back to the Muppet Movie...the lovers, the dreamers...

Remember how Bitterman looked to be putting the final nail in the Muppet gang's spirit and enthusiasm, yet we learned at the end of VMC that the theatre is figurative, symbolic...and that dream will always live on.

And Luke, I know you are the voice of reason...but c'mon...this is like the end of Return of the Jedi...where the Wok's and Coruscant are celebrating.

Both the giants(Disney and EMTV) were slayed in this battle.

This whole thing is about legacy my friend. It is about honour, and love, and triumph...and getting things back to their roots.
Sure, there might have been some short time bombardment with Disney, but I was thinking(around the time I was almost championing a Disney buyback...hey, I was desperate, and so were the Hensons) ...what does that really mean?

Just read Brian and Rivkin's quotes on the matter...I share the same sentiment that it was agonizing, just for us fans...and that it just feels good to have the Muppets back where they belong. Is this a new era? Hey, the Muppets *is all* about believing in the dream!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
luke

I do hope the Fox show will make it to air but i think Fox is wrong for them, it might make it past a whole season, maybe not. Fox views puppets as a quick nostalgia hit and an alternative to animation, they do stick with cheaper shows that aren;t doing well but the Muppets aren't cheap. I think the direction of the Muppets should be family orientated with a slight edge, NBC would be best for a weekly show so i hope they build on the relationship with them. I think licensing is Henson's strongest area right now and they'll likely continue that way...
Okay, I agree with everything you've said so far except for this statement. The truth is, there's absolutely nothing to back the idea that an NBC family-style (kiddie-friendly) show will be more fruitful than a Fox one.

Growing up with and watching these networks helps give me more of a perspective to the situation. Do you remember the Henson Hour? Didn't do great business for NBC. It was dropped before Henson's death. They are likely to remember that. It was a good show, but I feel Henson is going a different way with the Fox show. That's a good thing. Something Jim was always trying to do - something different.

Can we just wait and see instead of prematurely writing its obituary? We don't even have any real info in the program yet. We just know the production team, the network and the word "edgy". That's not enough to go on for such a dire prediction. The safety of the Fox show is actually what’s exciting me most about this deal.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Re: Re: Wow! You know what...Wow!

Originally posted by beaker
Hey, the Muppets *is all* about believing in the dream!
And I believe in that dream.

Luke

Reaction score
Re: luke

Originally posted by frogboy4
Okay, I agree with everything you've said so far except for this statement. The truth is, there's absolutely nothing to back the idea that an NBC family-style (kiddie-friendly) show will be more fruitful than a Fox one.
Jamie

You got me wrong, i mean same show, different network. I don't want Kiddie-friendly, i want an entertaining mix of the classic Muppet show with todays style of shorter and sharper skits, witty writing and yes, some edge. I don't think they should completely alienate family audiences though, you can cater for them without being 'kiddie friendly'. Just look at ALF's style on NBC.

The whole idea of them being on Fox to me is a shaky one because Fox decided to try the puppet route a while back with Greg and i'm sure that thinking influenced the Muppet deal some. Greg didn't work for them, and they've had trouble really finding a new niche and so stuck with a lot of their older shows. If they are willing to give the Muppets a go, fine but i just feel the Muppets won't really be at home there and Fox will be first to realise that - to me someone like NBC is a better and more secure home, there's nothing to stop them trying a different appraoch there - especially after the Xmas movie, but as you say, we'll see.