EM.TV to Sell Muppets to Jim Henson's Children for $89 Million

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!! I am SO stinkin' happy right now!!!!!!!!!!

:sing: Get back
Get back
Get back to where we once belonged...:sing: :big_grin:

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Chilly Down

Reaction score
No problems, Jaga. I had to think about it for a minute before I realized it myself. :smile:

I agree with Jamie and Radionate. Working with a strong financial partner is what Henson needs, while retaining their own creative identity. It was quite revealing to discover that Brian and family were actually LESS happy about the Sony-Sesame Workshop arrangement, because there wasn't enough money to keep the Muppets afloat. They actually PREFERRED Disney (whereas we thought Disney was dissolving the company, and so the Hensons would want to rescue JHC from that). It's also interesting to know that EM.TV made all kinds of promises about different projects they'd be putting the Muppets into over the years. Many saw Brian's move 3 years ago as a callous and greedy one; this sheds some new light on it.

Speaking of callous and greedy, I don't hate Eisner the way some do here. Many posts were positively nasty, as if Eisner were some two-dimensional cartoon villain who openly said he wanted to kill Kermit and Miss Piggy. That doesn't seem a fair characterization to me. The man was, after all, instrumental in the resurgence of Disney in the late 80's/early 90's. Katzenberg played a hand in that too, sure, but it was Katzenburg that Jim couldn't get along with. In Jim's difficulties with corporate Disney, the person he would run to for support was Eisner, the man whom he'd worked with off and on through the '70s. It was because Jim trusted Eisner that he was willing to sell in the first place. Do I think the Hensons were right to back out of the deal in the early '90s? Yes. Do I disagree with a lot of the decisions being made at Disney right now? Yes. But I don't want to spit in Eisner's face, as if this sale meant he doesn't get to tie Piggy to the railroad tracks now. Eisner is human, with his strengths and his flaws, just like the rest of us.

So let JHC keep their identity, and let them work alongside Disney to promote the heck out of the stuff, and get the merchandise on the shelves. Those are the thingsthat Disney still does exceptionally well. And in a few years, if the brand is built up again enough, who knows? Maybe some of those theme park tie-ins will start becoming a reality.

I hope this doesn't come off as Polyannaish. It's a very complex situation, and I'm trying to look at the potential goods and bads everywhere. At the moment, I see a lot of potential goods. Yes, the management now in place is similar to the management behind Muppet Classic Theater and Muppets Tonight. But Brian was also in charge of spearheading The Muppet Show Live, the Weezer video, the MasterCard commercials, and VMMCM. I think we're on the right track, and I'm excited about what the future might hold.

BTW, :eek: , welcome back! I had a feeling this news would bring you out of retirement. :smile:

foofoocakes

Reaction score
Still doing the happy dance!!!

I just read an article in the Seattle Times about the buy out. I am so happy. Brian (Henson) is pretty good about finding backers for projects. Creative muppety people are all they need the money will come with new and inovative projects.

TheDude

Reaction score
Let me first say YAAAHOOO! For the first time in years am i happy with a desision made in regaurds to the muppets. SO COOL! Im SO Happy!

I would like to backtrack a bit though. In talking of all this buying/selling back and forth. Jim orginally sold the muppets to disney because he trusted Eisner.... im not sure i know WHY Jim did this in the first place. Did he ever make a press statement? I was only like 8 years old when this all happened so i have never quite known how it worked. I always got the idea that jim felt he had accomplished everthing he wanted to with the muppets and wanted to move on to even bigger things. is this correct?:confused:

Anyways, i agree with Chilldown about Eisner and wish The Henson 5 the best of luck in recovering the state of our beloved characters. I Can't wait to see the next Muppet Project.

YAAAA!

MATT

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Back in the public eye.

The Henson kids also have to about getting the Muppets back to into the public eye through Muppet Shows reruns (very important for new viewers and fans), more commerical featuring the characters, new movies and TV movies, new shows, and as well as products.

They have done pretty well with the recent 25th Muppet Show stuff of getting the Muppets back in the public, but now they have to keep that up and one of those ways is reruns. Channels like ABC Family, TV Land, and Nick at Nite, would be a good place to distribute classical Henson program to new and old viewers since these channels allow families to watch TV classics as Bewitched and I Love Lucy.

Henson currently has production deals with both Disney and MGM, with such films as Good Boy. This is good for the distrubitor of new films. TDK are making new Henson games, which is also good. Palisades as always, are making qualtiy products that continue the Henson brand.

If Henson's distributotion deal with Sony ends next year, it would probably be in their best interest to see if any other parties such as Disney would be interested in distrubiting their library of films and specials. Although Disney can't but them, they can still distribute Henson films and specials through Bueva Vista Home Video as well as their studio labels. I am sure that Eisner would happy to fund Henson project similar to the way, they are funding the Pixar ones. From what I hear, the new Pixar deal for Disney would give Pixar, a deal similar to what George Lucas his with Fox. They distribute the films and videos, and he gets to keep the rights. Since the Kids preffered Disney more to Classic Media, it might be in there best interest to talk to Eisner about start a new relationship where Disney could put Henson programs on their networks, parks, and etc. I am sure that Playhouse Disney is in need of a new hit show and Henson could probably provide them with that. Though ABC Family, does have some programming such as 7th Heaven reruns and reruns of ABC shows, Disney could put the Henson programming on this channel thrus giving family more of a reason to watch it. The network has already played "The Muppet Take Manhatten" a couple of times, maybe they could some how get a Muppet Movie Marathon to play on Memorial day.

Right now I don't think that the Henson kids have the money or funding to start up a new cable channel, so it probably there best route for right now.

Jennifer12

Reaction score
The new show

I'm wondering what is going to happen now with the new Muppet Show that was supposed to air this fall. Has anyone heard anything lately? Or did I just imagine the whole thing?

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down

BTW, :eek: , welcome back! I had a feeling this news would bring you out of retirement. :smile:
Heh, well you know what the Trash Heap says 'ya can never leave the magic'. Then again I was hit with two bombshells within the span of an hour yesterday(the buyback news/carol spinny-oscar appearence) so sometimes it takes what it takes:wink:

Now here is the question...we know the Fox Show is now more of a possibility since Disney is no longer in the picture...but what about a possible late 2003 Muppetfest? :confused:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I would think we would still see Sal and Dr. Phil Van now that Brian Henson owns the Muppets.

Like Sarah said, I WISH i could have seen that Eisner's face when he found out, one magic word I think would sum it up as..."dumbfounded!" Those are the best faces. no Eisner's not a Disney Villan, but I feel he would have changed some Muppet things for the worst.

I think of this sale back to Henson as a second chance, a lot of Muppety things have been happens and i feel if the Henson family can keep them happing it will all work out great!, Also i feel they will come up with a great Muppet movie when ever that hopefuly happens. we got classic and newer charcters now so there is no need for a bunch of nameless used once muppet's in the shows and movies.

Zack,

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zack the Dog
Also i feel they will come up with a great Muppet movie when ever that hopefuly happens.
More joyous I and everyone could not be :big_grin:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Happy, happy, happy.

Gosh we seem to be having almost as big disscusions on what JHC should do as Lisa and the Chief Exceutive (I forget his name) will be having for the next few days.

One thing I noticed is that all the talk has been about the Muppets, but what about the Fragles? They bought those back. And will The Hoobs go to America? What about Farscape? They bought that back too. So really we have a lot to think about.

Imagine if the company brought out a new Fraggle Rock. (Boy would that rock:cool: )

And if Farscape started again I think that certain people would love the company to bits. Hundreds of dissapointed fans would. (I am not one of them but...)

And what about the Big Blue House? What are the plans for that going to be?