Elmo's fur

downunderbatman

Reaction score
hi all,

When I'm done with Kermit, I want to make my little boy an Elmo puppet. I've been searching Ebay, and a few other places for fur, and it's really hard to work out what fur best suits Elmo.

I've found a Mongolian Faux Fur on Ebay which looks nice, but still doesn't quite look right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180602611914?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

I was hoping to find one that already had the matted look but I guess I'll need to do the matting myself by boiling the piece in water.

I haven't seen many pics of what his fur looks like prior to boiling (at least not any close ups). Any help on where I might find his correct fur would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I'm in Australia so it's impossible for me to source locally. I live in Hobart, and the only store I have available is Spotlight, which doesn't seem to have any red furs in stock.

I also have some googly eyes from here:

http://www.outoftheboxpuppets.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=200

Do you think these will actually be large enough for a full scale Elmo puppet?

I appreciate any help anyone can offer. I've done lots of searches on the forum but can't seem to find anything that might lead me to the right fur.

Animal31

Reaction score
Hey,

I can tell you from experience that fur will be too dark, I frequently buy from Fabric Empire and have 2 yards of that very fur. They do have a long pile red fur that's pretty good, you can also try Distinctive Fabric, they have a "Fire Red" that I have used as well. Elmo's eyes are around 50mm, those may work, or try and find an Elmo Easter/Halloween basket on eBay that have the plastic eyes...

Good Luck!

Keeermit

Reaction score
the dark red fur is way too dark for Elmo. You are better off getting a lighter red fur and dying it the darker colour of elmo.

downunderbatman

Reaction score
Thanks Jarrod,

I thought it looked a bit too dark, it's so hard to tell on the computer screen but it certainly looked too dark to me. I've got some samples from another website which look closer, but I'll have to boil the fur to get the rougher look of Elmo. Thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated.

Your Elmo looks outstanding, If mine turns out half that good I'll be happy.

Greg

Keeermit

Reaction score
no worries greg, goodluck on your replica