Elmo's Christmas Countdown

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I totally understand what you mean, I see all those things happening too. We just disagree on the source of the problem. If Christians are bending over backwards to please everybody, I do think it's because they are feeling pressure from secular groups.

But yes, the religion is a man made institution that is open to flaws and corruption. I do believe everyone in a religion has the responsibility to separate the religion from the faith in their minds. And of course, be aware that every religion is both good and bad.
Interesting points. Of course, I don't really believe in religion. I just believe in Jesus. Religion is man's way of reaching God- i.e. through following good rules for life and good, clean living, etc. (And that applies to any set of rules- including trying to just follow what The Bible says in The Ten Commandments and "doing unto others as you'd have done unto you" (Luke 6:31) )
But Jesus is God's way of reaching man. I can't possibly keep all the rules of the Bible on my own. I'm not good enough- no one is. And God says we have to be perfect, as He is. (Leviticus 11:45). That's why Jesus had to die on the cross and rise again- to pay for the sins of the world.
Christianity is not about following the rote rules of a religion- it's about a relationship with Jesus.

I just don't understand why TV shows and movies should be afraid of presenting that message in them to the public and let them decide what they want to about it. Especially in America, there should be room for every side to be heard and people should be free to choose to believe what they want to about it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just don't understand why TV shows and movies should be afraid of presenting that message in them to the public and let them decide what they want to about it. Especially in America, there should be room for every side to be heard and people should be free to choose to believe what they want to about it.
Yeah you would think we'd be over this by now in America!

Religion gives you the information you need to life a good life, and that's very important. But ultimately, what's most important is the kind of person you are, not how well you follow the rules and regulations of a religion. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I totally understand what you mean, I see all those things happening too. We just disagree on the source of the problem. If Christians are bending over backwards to please everybody, I do think it's because they are feeling pressure from secular groups. !

I can agree, yet have you heard the term "liberal guilt?" Like when white guys care more about rights for other races to compensate for the fact they're afraid they are racist? I feel it's the same thing.

Problem with Hannukka specials is they're all designed to teach CHRISTIANS (and others) about the holiday, not to celebrate it. Rugrats did a great job retelling the story, and I heard of something called "Weinerville" having one.

I feel that by generifying things we make everything grey and steal the very essense of what makes people special.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Because apparently people who are atheists or agnostics are going to take offense to it, then demand that whatever the show or movie is be boycott and such; kind of like how mandatory school prayer was banned in 1962 because an atheist mom forced her son to refuse to take part in school prayer.

I remember once seeing an episode of Leave it to Beaver where June was talking to Beaver about something he did wrong, and she was telling him that "God is watching you, He sees everything you do". Beaver replied with a beaverish "No foolin', mom? Even through the roof?" "Even then" she said. That was back in the late 50s/early 60s: nowadays if any network show tried to do something like that, you know that the atheistic community is going get all up-in-arms about it, then next thing you know because of that, that particular episode will either be pulled by the censors altogether, or cut that particular scene out.

That's why they're "afraid" to send those kind of messages in their shows and/or movies, so unless you're Vegetales, then the only messages you'll be receive are "Christmas is all about presents", "Easter is all about colored eggs", "Thanksgiving is all about eating everything you can including the turkey".

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's why they're "afraid" to send those kind of messages in their shows and/or movies, so unless you're Vegetales, then the only messages you'll be receive are "Christmas is all about presents", "Easter is all about colored eggs", "Thanksgiving is all about eating everything you can including the turkey".

But then again, let us not forget Garfield Christmas and Charlie Brown as well. Charlie Brown was a pretty religious special, while Garfield focused on an actual family holiday celebration.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I can agree, yet have you heard the term "liberal guilt?" Like when white guys care more about rights for other races to compensate for the fact they're afraid they are racist? I feel it's the same thing.
Yeah that's kind of what I was saying. I just don't think the "guilt" comes from nowhere. Some groups feel pressure to be "all inclusive" because the more secular groups are asking for it. Those TV specials are made by Hollywood or the media which is mainly liberal. In my opinion, they think they're being all inclusive. But a lot of the time, as someone once said, an embrace of all religions seems to equal an exclusion of Christianity. It does none of the religions any good.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But then again, let us not forget Garfield Christmas and Charlie Brown as well. Charlie Brown was a pretty religious special, while Garfield focused on an actual family holiday celebration.
Well, that was in the old days, things have changed since then.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Right the Charlie Brown special was from a slightly different time. Back then they seemed to be worried about Christmas becoming too commerical. Nowadays, the concern is that it's becoming too secularized.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess they probably think little kids would "buy" the "fact" that Christmas is all about a fat guy in a red suit with a white beard sliding down your chimneys to leave presents for you under your tree, rather than saying that Christmas is all about celebrating the birthday of Jesus Christ, the Lord and Savior for all mankind.