Elmo teaches kids to manipulate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Elmo. He's cute. He's sweet. He makes kids smile. And the possible thought of him teaching our kids to do something we, (or at least I), would not want a child to be taught is simply inconceivable, right? Well, believe it or not, the other day I witnessed it with my own eyes! Let me explain.
The other day I was watching SS with my kids, like I always do, and they happened to show the re-run of #4042 - (the one where Gordon kindley offers to take Elmo to the ball game). At first it was cute and funney and silly, as Telly and Baby Bear both do outrageous things to prove that they would be the best sitter for Dorothy, (who Gordon had FINALLY been able to get Elmo to agree to leave at home). But then, when Gordon puts a stop to all the nonsense between Baby Bear and Telly trying to prove themselves, he finally puts his foot down, (which, IMO, should have been done even sooner), and makes Elmo, (who, by now, is making them miss the start of the game), decide. Elmo, being himself, decided to leave the ultimate decision to Dorothy. Now we know goldfish don't talk - even my 3 year old knows that. And actually the ultimate decision rested on Elmo. It was Elmo's next statement that was the ultimate kicker for me. "Dorothy says that Dorothy wants - Elmo." Now, granted, I give the script writers the majority of the blame for this , because, when Gordon finally gave in and agreed to let Elmo bring her along, I was speachless! IMO, my kids had just received a 101 class on how to "get your way" in things! When I was "Elmo's age" my parents had already trained me to always respect your elders, what the basics of "good" and "bad" manners were, and that, if someone offered me a gift, (like a trip to a base ball game), that I was to accept it graciously, be happy with what I had, and not ask for more. To do so would be impolite. Now I know Elmo put up the fact that he might just have to miss the game, which could have been a viable solution; but, if so, then Gordon should have let the concequences follow the action, and left him home instead of finally caveing in to Elmo's wishes. That is why I was dissapointed with the script writers in this case. I, for one, do not want my kids thinking that they can always get what they want by doing what Elmo did on this episode :concern:

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
You said it, Rose. I agree totally with you. Sure, Elmo used to be my favorite character when I was 5. Elmo is perfectly fine when he's not taking over the show!! What about the oldies?? Ditch them, the founders?? What is this??

F

furryredmonster

Your guys are just out to get Elmo, arnt ya?

I have not see that skit, yet I personally do not see anything wrong with it. Dorothy "talks" in the scenes but elmo can only hear him. Elmo was not just making what Dorothy said up. And the script writers have nuthing to do with this either. I think it is a perfectly good skit that should not be complained upon.

F

furryredmonster

Oh, and Elmo is not teaching kids "bad things" Elmo did not really teach anything in that skit. I have no clue why you think Elmo is teaching us somethang bad. Sometimes I think you guys are out to get Elmo. Come on. I bet if someone else was in that skit you would not be complaining. (sorry for being kinda rude)

BEAR

Reaction score
I saw the episode and rather liked it. I know exactly what was going on with Elmo because kids do that same thing with their teddy bears. Didn't you ever hold your bear up to your ear and pretended it was telling you something? Come on.

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
No, furryred, I'm not out to get Elmo at all. Dude, all I'm saying is that all the classic oldies ( Guy Smiley, Sherlock Hemlock, Herry (well, Herry shows up a little bit but not as much) Roosevelt Franklin, Herbert Birdsfoot all the now gone guys are probably rejected because of Elmo and what we're trying to say is that too much Elmo makes us sick and keeps the oldies away! I mean, yeah, I like Elmo a little too, but someones let the Elmo faucet run too long now! ( my own term:smile: ) There's just no moderation to Elmo at all. And then they needlessly put Elmo on DVD's and VHS's because they know parents will want to get Elmo whenever they see that little bugger.
I mean, yeah, I'd be sick of Lefty Salesman and Guy Smiley too if they stuck their nose in everything, but they haven't and a lot of nostalgic guys out there and here ( BEAR, D'snowth, Me, Rose) have had enough elmo to puke! Enough Is Enough!

And I've got the dry heaves now,....gah...ack

BEAR

Reaction score
Well, it is silly to say that Guy, Sherlock and Roosevelt are gone because Elmo pushed them away. That is not the truth at all, especially with Roosevelt. He has been gone before Elmo became popular. Guy Smiley hasn't really been around since Henson died. Sherlock...I'm not sure, but he really does need to make a return. He was one of Jerry Nelson's best characters. I like Elmo, but agree that he can be toned down a bit, and I believe he has started to.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Elmo. He's cute. He's sweet. He makes kids smile. And the possible thought of him teaching our kids to do something we, (or at least I), would not want a child to be taught is simply inconceivable, right? Well, believe it or not, the other day I witnessed it with my own eyes! Let me explain.
The other day I was watching SS with my kids, like I always do, and they happened to show the re-run of #4042 - (the one where Gordon kindley offers to take Elmo to the ball game). At first it was cute and funney and silly, as Telly and Baby Bear both do outrageous things to prove that they would be the best sitter for Dorothy, (who Gordon had FINALLY been able to get Elmo to agree to leave at home). But then, when Gordon puts a stop to all the nonsense between Baby Bear and Telly trying to prove themselves, he finally puts his foot down, (which, IMO, should have been done even sooner), and makes Elmo, (who, by now, is making them miss the start of the game), decide. Elmo, being himself, decided to leave the ultimate decision to Dorothy. Now we know goldfish don't talk - even my 3 year old knows that. And actually the ultimate decision rested on Elmo. It was Elmo's next statement that was the ultimate kicker for me. "Dorothy says that Dorothy wants - Elmo." Now, granted, I give the script writers the majority of the blame for this , because, when Gordon finally gave in and agreed to let Elmo bring her along, I was speachless! IMO, my kids had just received a 101 class on how to "get your way" in things! When I was "Elmo's age" my parents had already trained me to always respect your elders, what the basics of "good" and "bad" manners were, and that, if someone offered me a gift, (like a trip to a base ball game), that I was to accept it graciously, be happy with what I had, and not ask for more. To do so would be impolite. Now I know Elmo put up the fact that he might just have to miss the game, which could have been a viable solution; but, if so, then Gordon should have let the concequences follow the action, and left him home instead of finally caveing in to Elmo's wishes. That is why I was dissapointed with the script writers in this case. I, for one, do not want my kids thinking that they can always get what they want by doing what Elmo did on this episode :concern:
Okay, all I hear on this forum is how ahem "Bad" elmo is. Kevin is a great puppeteer and the reason Elmo is used so much is because he is so popular. He is the Big Bird of the 1990's and 2000's. Every character has there period, wether you like it or not. Plus, Sesame Street is mainly for the little tikes and another reason Elmo is so popular is because the age group who watches Sesame Street is based on Elmo's age so those children could relate to him.

Now think..., if you were Kevin Clash reading this post right now and he sees all this mean stuff about his character, he would be upset. Wouldn't you be if you were him? You need to realize that Elmo is essentially for ratings and he is basically 'saving' Sesame Street because the popularity of Elmo. Sesame Workshop want's to keep Sesame on, and this is one of many ways too do that.

Elmo is allright, he isn't a bad character. But remember, Elmo is basically Saving Sesame Street so just stop it please. It's stupid.

BEAR

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
Okay, all I hear on this forum is how ahem "Bad" elmo is. Kevin is a great puppeteer and the reason Elmo is used so much is because he is so popular. He is the Big Bird of the 1990's and 2000's. Every character has there period, wether you like it or not. Plus, Sesame Street is mainly for the little tikes and another reason Elmo is so popular is because the age group who watches Sesame Street is based on Elmo's age so those children could relate to him.

Now think..., if you were Kevin Clash reading this post right now and he sees all this mean stuff about his character, he would be upset. Wouldn't you be if you were him? You need to realize that Elmo is essentially for ratings and he is basically 'saving' Sesame Street because the popularity of Elmo. Sesame Workshop want's to keep Sesame on, and this is one of many ways too do that.

Elmo is allright, he isn't a bad character. But remember, Elmo is basically Saving Sesame Street so just stop it please. It's stupid.
I agree with you. I dunno about the "saving Sesame Street" idea because there is nothing to save them from, but other than that you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.