1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

ELMO puppet on EBAY?

Discussion in 'Puppets For Sale' started by PaulyPuppets, Dec 6, 2004.

1. PaulyPuppets

PaulyPuppets New Member

As someone who tries to protect the copyrights of my own puppet designs, I found this interesting....Found this on EBAY. Could this be defined as copyright infringement? Doesn't say it's actually Elmo, but it sure looks as though it is. Says it's wearing ELMO clothes, and that it's a red furry monster. Your thoughts? Check it out> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11741&item=5939980269&rd=1
  2. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

That's infringement and obviously a knockoff.
  3. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

considering th epoor quality, i dont think its really a concern, but yes when you do evrything in your power(regardless of talent) to create a duplicate (excempt in cases of parody) then yes it is infringement
  4. I dunno. There are enough differences Elmo and this thing. The shape of the head and body, the fury eyes, the tongue. If it went to court I don't think Sesame Workshop would win.
  5. FISH'N'WOLFE

FISH'N'WOLFE New Member

6. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

The hold the legal rights to any Marketing and/or Manufacturing/Distubution of the Name and/or Likeness of their Characters
  7. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

8. FISH'N'WOLFE

FISH'N'WOLFE New Member

That is not the same auction that PaulyPuppets has posted. They are two separate auctions. I posted that link from the other thread since people from the puppetry section don't always browse the rest of the forum and might have missed it..
  9. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

Cases of copyright infringement (how do we always end up on this subject?) are usually judged on whether or not the (alleged) infringing work is "derivative" of the original and likely to cause confusion in the market place. I think there's little doubt that this is case of someone riffing on Elmo's likeness.
  10. psiomicron

psiomicron New Member

If you look next to the Elmo replica the counts head is there!
  11. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

And a bit of a Kermit as well.
  12. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

yeah , and besides all that, good lord is it ugly, lol