1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by brkndwnbus, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. brkndwnbus

brkndwnbus Active Member

2. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

I really hope he reconsiders this. What happened to him was a part of his personal life, and no way did it affect his work on the show. He's been with the show almost 30 years, I was hoping they would let this pass. However, it seems it's Mr. Clash's personal decesion, not SW. Still, I'm very sad to hear this news, to me Kevin IS Elmo, heart and soul. Whoever takes over has some HUGE shoes to fill. Very sad, sad, day man. Such a huge loss to the show.
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  3. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Not really sure what to say here. It looks like Clash and SW came to an agreement that he was going to be too much of a distraction to the continued running of Sesame Street and its related endeavors. I have seen on Gawker that another person has came forward with similar allegations against Clash; it remains to be seen what will come of that story if anything.
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  4. brkndwnbus

brkndwnbus Active Member

Yes, another person has come forward. The accuser is suing Clash for $5 million. The story is on TMZ's website.
  5. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

This is very sad. I'm not going to express my opinion of the situation, as it involves speculation on Clash's private life. I just hope that justice is done. And that, if Clash's name is cleared, that he can return to Sesame Street.

"The penalty for false accusation is worse than the penalty for theft."
    -- The World's Oldest Fraggle in Inspector Red
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is going to affect Kevin's reputation with the other end of the Muppet spectrum as well... don't forget, before he ended up devoting most, if not all, of his time to SST, he was also quite a fixture with the Classic Muppets as well; his involvement with SST has limited his time with the Classic Muppets considerably, so I'm really curious about this.

Considering Disney owns the Classic Muppets, I remember reading a few years ago when David Ogden Stiers came out, he said Disney was, for the most part, a gay-friendly studio to work with, maybe, perhaps, Kevin could use that to fall back on?

Either way, I have a feeling that this may actually end up affecting SST more than we think, not just because of Elmo, but really, Kevin's become almost like the new Jon Stone of the show, with his heavy involvement behind the scenes... maybe Joey can take on a little more responsibility since he's gotten more and more involved behind the scenes too. But again, as previously mentioned, whoever is going to be the new Elmo has some HUGE shoes to fill.
    Fragglemuppet likes this.
  7. ncchuck

ncchuck Active Member

this is hard for me ...im speechless and very depressed i was praying it was over and kevin could get back to work , i just want to cry this is really some of the worst news i could have expected from this mess that I think tmz started.
  8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

That's the unfortunate thing about the entertainment industry, especially in this day and age of social media and such, nobody's private life is completely private, not even Kevin's.

At the same time though, this is also a lesson that needs to be learned, not just from Kevin, but from the likes of General Patreaus, Anthony Weiner, et al: when you're in the public eye like that, if there's something about you that you don't want people to know about, don't do it.
    Fragglemuppet likes this.
  9. vettech28

vettech28 Active Member

Well, the damage has been done. I don't know what to say at this point. And now another person is suing him? People should leave Kevin alone and leave his personal life out of it!

Now that Kevin is gone, could this be the end of Sesame Street?:(
  10. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

This was the first I've heard of this! I just pray that Justice will be served! I practically grew up watching Elmo when I was a Kid...
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  11. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

It's official, Sesame Workshop even released a statement about it.
    http://www.sesameworkshop.org/our-blog/

I used to like Elmo as a young child, but as I grew older, he got more attention on SS than any other character. I admit that in recent years, I have NOT been fond of how Elmo has been in the spotlight more than Big Bird, Oscar, Grover, the Count, Bert and Ernie, and the other original Muppets. But I do feel awful for Kevin because he did help SS become an even huger sensation with the younger generation.
    Our prayers are with you and your loved ones, Kevin.
  12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

This is very depressing and doesn't need to be. How much moral support could we possibly send him to reconsider? The other shoe's going to drop when we hear recast Elmo's voice and collectively think "It's an end of an era" or "it's just not the same."

The cowardly little schmuck that came forward with allegations clearly did so for money and to destroy his career, and is getting both. That's the worst part of this.
    Fragglemuppet and SuperGzilla12 like this.
  13. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I'm hearing many different versions of the story. According to this article, the same man who accused him the first time has retracted his retraction against Kevin http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/1...rage-sex-withdraws-his-withdrawal-of-charges/

But this one says differently
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/elmo-resigns-new-accusations-article-1.1205034

I can't read anymore. I thought this story was over with. I hope Kevin can come back. :(

The first article doesn't really make sense to me, he was rushed to pull his accusation? Doesn't sound right. If he was true, than why would he be rushed to pull his accusations?

Before we continue on this thread, I ask that please all conversation about this please stay in this thread only, and I ask that MC not send out emails again until this stays official or changes back to normal. (Hopefully this will clear up and Kevin can go back to work.)

EDIT: Never mind, it's all over the place, even Toughpigs is reporting it.
  14. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Hello Abby's world!
    Chopped Liver likes this.
  15. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say. I was hoping nothing like this would ever happen. It's so unfortunate that something like this had to happen. :(
  16. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Active Member

I'm very disheartened by this... you know,
    it's sad that people are so greedy and manipulative,
    it's sad that we may be losing the talents of one of the best in the business,
    and as for Kevin's rep, well it's untarnished in my eyes and I support him, like we all have.
  17. dwayne1115

I dont think that the people or person that has done this is really taking a look at the big picture....THE KIDS! Elmo was one of them, he could reach, and has help touch so many lifes....Sad sad day for Sesame Street. I dpn't want Elmo to be replaced with another voice but I'm sure it will happen.
    muppetwriter likes this.
  18. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Active Member

What a horrible blow for Sesame Street. It's very hard to wrap my mind around this news at the moment. I'm just so depressed right now. :cry:
  19. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

This is so sad. You can't resign, Kevin! We love you! Sesame will fall apart without you.
    muppetwriter likes this.
  20. dwayne1115

I almost feel that this is worse then when Jim, Richard, and Jerry passed away. Because Kevin is still alive still could preform Elmo, and now he has to walk away from it all. I would imagan that it would be like leaving one of your own kids. I know this must be so hard for Kevin.
    Muppet Master and Chopped Liver like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.