1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Electric Company DVD's

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by Ilikemuppets, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I really enjoyed the Best of the Electric Company DVDs. I got to see really old skits I've never seen before. And it was neat seeing Rita Moreno share her memories of the show and what went on with the making of these episodes.

And the bloopers were really funny too. And we learn the uncredited voices for the Letterman cartoon series. Joan Rivers as the narrator, Gene Wilder as Letterman, and Zero Mostel as the Spellbinder. The info was delivered straight from Rita's voice at the end of one episode.

I sure hope they'll make a Best of the Electric Company DVD 2.
  2. BillKal

BillKal New Member

I read on tvshowsondvd.com that there a plans for more volumes to be released.

BTW, these are the complete episodes and not the edited ones shown on Noggin.
  3. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

It's been a lot of fun seeing so many of these classic EC clips again. Love the classic "Punctuation, punc punc punc tuation. They are the little marks used to influence..." Rita Moreno hammed it up wonderfully in this one. Morgan Freeman is a delight. Glad to see the "I am in a tube" skit was in this set. And his "Easy reader, that's my name, uh uh uh!" But one of my favorites was one I hadn't thought about since back in the 70's. Where Skip Hinnant comes in complaining of a foot pain and Morgan as the doctor starts to sing:

Every track has a train.
    Every sink has a drain.
    Every cloud has some rain.
    And everyone has a pain.
    So what do you really gain?
    It makes no sense to complain.
    From the purple mountain to the plain.
    Everyone has a pain.

Nice catchy song and nice little message. In fact, I sang it for a few adults down at my job who gripe too much!
    And yes, Xerus, those bloopers were fun. But I agree with someone who posted on Amazon that there should have been a warning to parents that these are on the dvds. Because some of them are a little inappropriate for young children. The interviews with people like Moreno were also a nice bonus special feature.
    One thing too I wanted to ask for opinions of. In the Cinderella segment the wicked stepmother is mean to Cinderella through the skit. Then at the end when she tells Cinderella to put the tray on her lap, Cinderella grins deviantly and pours the food literally on her lap. There was another clip like this where a character gets revenge on another character at the end. I know these are supposed to simply be funny for the kids, but does anyone think that a problem with this is that it teaches kids that it's okay to do something rotten to someone who has done rotten things to you? Not a big deal or really a criticism. Just a thought I had about it and curious if anyone sees my point.
    Also, that classic "Randy Randy" song. Neat music. Well sung by Skip. But interestingly there seemed to be no educational aspect to it at all (Other than teaching kids that Randy is spelled R-A-N-D-Y I guess! And by the way, wasn't that an odd name they chose for the girl? I don't think I ever knew a girl named Randy. But maybe it's one of those names that can go both ways [like Pat and Dana]).
    I agree Shout really did a nice job with these dvds. What fun to see EVERYTHING of the shows right up to the 70's PBS logo and music! Hope another set does indeed come in a future month.
    Oh one more thing! I always loved the "Very Short Book" segments and was disappointed that out of 20 shows we only get to see 3 of those. And one of those (Frankenstein) I saw back in the early 70's but forgot all about since. In this one at the end he makes a phone call and says, "Hello, New York Knicks?". What's funny is when I saw it back in the early 70's I didn't yet follow basketball and so never heard of that team. So as a child what I had thought he said was "Hello, New York Mix?" And I was like, "New York Mix? I don't get it." :)
  4. Eclectic Mayhem

Eclectic Mayhem New Member

The DVD's are great. I never watched the show when it was originally on, but it's clear that they put great care into selecting episodes and did a nice job with the interviews and introductions.
  5. GeeBee

GeeBee New Member

I agree that some of the bloopers were kind of surprising for a DVD about a children's show. Funny how the Muppet Show DVD set went in the total opposite direction and wouldn't even have Kermit saying a mildly bad word.

As for skits about revenge, I suppose the other skit you're talking about is when Rita Moreno gets the plant dropped on her foot. But, I really never thought those skits were a problem. They were funny and The Electric Company always did have a little edge to its humor. (They didn't show these on the DVD, but in a couple of the EC Spider-Man stories, the bad guy actually won!)

One thing I did notice was that the Electric Company Road Runner skits were a little less violent. When Wiley Coyote falls off of the cliff, he doesn't do his usual crash landing, rather there are trampolines to make him bounce instead. It's true that they wanted to teach children to read and used the signs that said "BOUNCE", but they could have just as easily had a sign at the bottom of the cliff that said "SPLAT" or "CRASH". I think someone decided that the old gag should be literally softened.
  6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

I was going to start a new thread for this question, but then I decided it might be better to just ask in this one:

Why was TEC cancelled after only 7 seasons? To my knowledge, SW has never given an "official" explanation for this. Anyone know?
  7. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

They ceased production of it after the 1976-77 season to my understanding because of production costs but probably because it was still popualer they decided to continue to rerun them. and continued up untill 1985. Usually shows get axed by the netorks so stations because of ratings though I read in a book once that there was some other reason why it finally went off the air said something about PBS stations allowing to few vote to sustain it. Whatever that means. here's some more on the series. http://www.tvparty.com/lostelec.html
  8. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Thanks for your thoughts, GeeBee. Yeah I noticed the road runner clips on TEC were not as violent. They probably thought if they showed the Coyote hit the ground from the cliff it might be a bit much for the kids (though I'm sure just about all the kids had already seen the WB cartoons anyway).
    And that other "revenge" clip I was thinking of wasn't in this dvd set actually. Although I think I detected a couple seconds of it in one of the special feature montages. It was the "oops" restaurant scene. I think Rita Moreno played a ditzy waitress who accidentally spills food and things on a customer played by Jim Boyd, I think. And each time she does she says, "Oops." Then after a while he gets mad enough and deliberately pours things like milk all over her and sarcastically says, "Oops." By the end she is a real mess. So that's another case in point of perhaps sending a wrong signal to kids that it's acceptable to return bad for bad. But since these shows were shown in many schools and were greatly helping kids (including the tougher inner city schools) to read, they probably wanted to throw in clips like this sometimes to help keep the kids entertained and interested (as Rita Moreno alluded to in her interview). But that oops clip probably didn't have any educational aspect to it other than teaching kids that the word oops is a word people say when they drop something. Other than that, it may as well have been a Three Stooges pie in the face clip they showed, eh? :p
  9. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Wait a minute. I thought this DVD release is aimed more so at those who grew up on TEC and not the kids of today.
  10. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

True, yet the box said it was geared for 7-to-10 year olds. :confused:

Still, a great show. I love Judy's "If" song; very Sesame-esque, and one of Paul Ferlinger's early CTW segments before he created Teeny Little Superguy.

And the Short Circus's "Why" song's SS reference ("Why ain't it easy being green?").
  11. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I know it was aimed at older kids. That's not what I meant.
  12. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

I understand; the show was geared at 7 to 10 year olds, and that's what's listed on the DVD box, but some of the bonus material isn't suited for that age group. The DVD set is geared to adults and nostalgics.
  13. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I have to get this. I just haven't been able to get it yet. But I'm going too you know that guys! HEY YOU GUYS!!!! I'm getting this set yes I am!
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I have a question. I thought they were going to release smaller single disks. It's not that I wouldn't LOVE a box set, but I'm way behind in buying some up, that I don't think I'd get around to the Electric Company. And I'd really love to see it.
  15. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

16. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

17. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I saw the smaller disk somewhere for 15 bucks. Now, here's where I'm torn. I would LOVE to have the big set, and I'd prefer it over the 5 episodes disk....

The thing is, for 15 bucks, the 5 epsiode disk works out to 3 bucks per episode. The 40 dollar 20 episode set works out to 2 bucks an episode, so the box set is much more economical.

As I've said, I am really behind in box sets. I don't even have the Fraggle Rock one yet. If I like the 15 dollar disk, I'll likely get the 40 dollar disk. BUT that means I'll have a 40 dollar set and a 15 dollar disk I don't really want to watch anymore... 55 dollars. It's a quandery. I felt the same way when they released the Fay Albert Box set and a smaller disk at once. I got the box set as a present though.
    I guess I'll just wait and see if I can get a used copy cheap.
  18. Taco Monster

Taco Monster Member

^Maybe you could try to see if you could rent the one-disk set from somewhere?
  19. Andrew T

Andrew T New Member

What episode numbers are included on the single "Best of the Best of" disc?

It's a question I've already heard in various circles several times over, but never answered.
  20. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, It's up there sometimes, not sure if it's up there anymore though.