Editorial: Coming to Terms with Life after Jim

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
>>Jim Henson could turn his mother’s old coat into an internationally celebrated phenomenon who has given commencement speeches and performed for royalty.<<

Best line.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It's a nice editorial and it provides a good perspective on the whole sale, which I know many fans are upset about. Reading it I was reminded of an interview Jim Henson gave sometime in the late 70s/early 80s. In it he was asked how long he thought the Muppets would endure. Jim replied that he wasn't sure, but he expected them to last just as long as the audience was willing to accept them.

That's a comforting thought.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I am very pleased that the Henson kids have a chance to breathe and explore their individual chareers now -- except they hung on to the creature shop, Fraggles, and Hoobs so I'm not sure if they're completely free yet. The article was very well written and an eye-opener.

The thing I don't completely agree with is the implication I picked up that Jim's vision is gone. He shared it with many people, his films are saturated with the encouragement for people to "sing, dance, and make people happy" and to find a goal for yourself in life; the letters he left his children contain the same stuff, and Muppet fanatics like us know it. He "found a whole bunch of friends who have the same dream."

The problem is at the core (as was stated) financial and the executive jerks from other companies who are tossing the Muppets around like a felt baseball have no vision whatsoever except $ commercial success $. A message like Jim's is timeless and universal. When should people stop making each other happy? Stop pursuing their goals in life? I just wish the dealers with the mouse ears on would take the time to understand the Bearded Man's dream long enough to put it into practice.

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
I think she hit it right on the ball. It’s better to have some Muppets then no Muppets. The saddest thing in all of this is how EMTV dwindled what they purchased in 2000. In 3 years they ruined the value of the Jim Henson Company unfortunately. Selling off Sesame Street and your unfortunately don't have much left. At least with Disney now involved you will see the Muppets get there proper marketing. I have seen a few people bash Muppets From Space, but honestly if that had been under the Disney label they wouldn't have released it on an indiscrete Wednesday 2 weeks after Austin Powers 2 in one of the busiest summers of all time as far as box office is concerned. Disney promoted the **** out of Treasure Island and that’s why its the second highest grossing Muppet movie of all time. Treasure Island made 34 million which was one of the highest grossing films for that quarter in 1996.

The long term perspective is what we need to look at here more so then worry that Disney is going to ruin what we all love. Disney are business people, they want a return on there investment. Why do you think they dumped Pixar, it was because Steve Jobs wanted 100% of the profits form all Disney/Pixar films. Now even though I think that was a stupid move from Disney they did what they had to do.

Well I will post more after I see some responses. Look up everyone I think the future is bright and we might just get what we have been all dreaming of. Even if it’s under the Disney banner they are still the Muppets we love.

Zondra

Reaction score
That was the best opinion on the subject I've heard yet. I myself grew up loving the Muppets as children's characters and I would never deny future generations of being able to do the same; I think Disney gives them that chance. Albeit it's going to be different than what we all have loved. That Fox idea really scared the heck out of me; I would much rather see some more childish yet loveable movies (I actually loved Muppet Treasure Island) than another low-brow sitcom that would flop as quickly as Greg the Bunny. There would have been much more of a change with Fox than with Disney; but that's not saying I'm all up in this Disney deal yet. It still makes me sad...

FragglettesMom

Reaction score
Disney announcement

I was very surprised to hear about the KIDS selling the Muppets. I thought the reason the KIDS bought them back was to keep them safe and protected. I have read many of the posts from this past week and I agree with some and found some to be quite funny. I watched Eisner last night and I do not know if he can be trusted-I hope so and I guess we can only wait and see what happens. I sure do not want to see CGI muppets ! I never cared for the animated Fraggles, Muppets must be 3 dimensional, soft, and life-like to be true. I feel the Disney Company of 2004 is not the same as the Disney Company of 1990 that Jim Henson was dealing with back then, guess nothing is. I have been a Disney fan all my life ( today is my 48th birthday-so we are talking about alot of years here!) and I sure hope Disney takes good care of the Muppets! The Muppets are very dear to me because of what they mean to my daughter, and I would hate to see them turn into something less than what they have always been under the loving control of JHC. By the way, I mean no disrespect by referring to Brian Henson & his siblings as the KIDs - it's just quicker to type. Question-Will we still be Kermites?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't want to see the Muppets as CGI either. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Luke

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
To be honest, I don't want to see the Muppets as CGI either. It just doesn't make sense to me.
You won't - it'll just be a project here and there and there'll probably be a twist to it - not just classic muppet shows in CGI. C'mon they didn't spend $60-$100 million to completely change the face of what people have loved about these characters for years. Sure they'll want to use new technology - we have now heard Henson had been doing trials for a CGI Muppet Babies show (i had suspected and said i didn't think the relaunch would just be a merchandise/dvd thing and there was more to it). They definitely want to put their animation deptartment to work doing something CGI with the Muppets but if people just turn around and desert them because its not the Muppets they know and love then thats their investment down the drain. I see the new technology as an additional thing, at least for say the next 5 years or so, maybe forever. I think part of it is that they want to find a way to get kids back into the Muppets and just putting more money into the existing stuff isn't gonna turn Kermit and Co into Pokemon or Nemo. The Muppets aren't the right style for kids of today, they've even had problems relaunching MOTU and Turtles to these age groups, so maybe they'll have a stab at CGI because kids are just more used to it but overall i'm sure they'll keep in tune with the nostalgia thing for adults/families as well as the kids stuff. If not, why even buy the Muppets, you could just as easily invent some new brand and do that kinda stuff with it.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
This article was great!!!!! although it made me cry. I'm sending it to everyone I know.