Editorial: A new era or bad divorce?

Luke

Reaction score
Excellent editorial - i really love the personal perspective on it. It says a lot about the way many of us feel.

dmx10101

Reaction score
That was a very good article, I agree with most of your opinions. When reading it, it really made me realize the harsh reality of the deal.

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Will this site be legal?

Now that Disney will own the Muppet characters, will sites like this one, dedicated to the Muppets and featuring many pictures of the Muppets, be shut down by Disney because of a breech of copyright? I'm not sure what the legalities of online websites and images, but could Disney, with the clout it has, do such a thing?
Marc

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Remember, there are DISNEY fan sites too.

And Phil, great article with great points. I'm not so much concerned about seeing Muppet/Fraggle/Sesame crossovers. When's the last time that's happened, 1990? And I don't think a Fraggle's been used since '93.

But yes, I wish the Muppets AND Fraggles (and the other Henson characters) were part of the deal, 'cause I still want all the Muppets to be under the same roof. It's just awkward. The best thing that could happen is if Disney and Henson had a separate deal to air non-Muppet Henson programming on the Disney networks.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Good article, Phil. I'm a little more optimistic than you are, but there are definitely many question marks for the future.

I can't believe this is actually happening. We've had so many "fake-outs." It's been 15 years--the thoughts of it actually happening seemed ludicrous.

And yet, here we are.

Whether you're pro- or anti-Disney, the news is almost too astounding to be true.

We'll see what happens from here, I guess.

SalsFleas

Reaction score
Well said...

Your article summed up my feelings quite well on this whole purchase.

To add a few personal notes:

I live 15 minutes from Disney World, so on one hand I'm excited in that there may be a larger muppet presence there soon.

On the other hand, I live 15 minutes from Disney World, so I'm a little worried that there may be a larger Muppet presence there soon. :confused: !!:eek:

That last statement is meant in that I hope not to have a first hand view of the decline and quality of the Muppets. If quality continues, it will be awesome! If not, well, who knows.

Again, great article!

FragglettesMom

Reaction score
Phillip, Being the webmaster i am sure you know what you are talking about regarding the Fraggles being left out of the Disney deal. Would the Henson KIDS let Cantus vanish ? I am now officially broken hearted.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Henson hasn't done anything with the Fraggles in over a decade. It's a classic show, but not a very active franchise. But if Henson plans on changing that, good for them.

Luke

Reaction score
They actually did have plans for Fraggles. It's been something they've been trying to push for two years now. What happens now? Who knows !

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, if Henson couldn't sell Fraggles with the Muppets together as a package (with Columbia), it will be interesting to see if any Fraggle stuff ever sees the light of day again. If Sababa didn't have the Muppets, would they have made just Fraggle plush? Probably not.

Now, a wild card in all of this might be Palisades trying to get the Fraggle license on the cheap from Henson to make a few series of Fraggle figures when the Muppet line comes to an end.