DVD Series of every Sesame Street episode ever made

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
I'm always leary of "Best of" or "Themed" complilations. Typically, those releases are targeted for mass audiences who aren't necessarily familiar with the product rather than the invested fan. So we end up with a product that tends to gloss over rather dig deeper leaving many die-hards crying foul.

Although I like Phil's idea of separate release based on characters, sketches and chronology with production information, there's still something to be said about releasing the episodes as a whole. The animations and Street scenes are essential to Sesame Street and nothing has been more satisfying for me personally than having been able to watch Unpaved and experience the evolution of the show.

I know Unpaved's concept was similar to this but I'd like to see a release of 4 shows from each season...perhaps the season open, close and two in between. I'm not quite sure what kind of extras one might look for especially since so much of the earky creative team has passed on.

Two things in my mind get in the way of any project of this nature. It's been mentioned before (in other threads) but the whole thing is just so cost prohibitive. Plus, I'm not sure if there would many people who purchase it...Sesame Street is not considered entertainment by many adults these days.

Still, as Hays said...we can dream!

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, that's basically why they're doing away with Unpaved, because not enough people are watching. And that's why they probably won't do the DVD series. I know they do have one for the Muppets, but I don't think people like the old Sesame Street as much. You're right, adults don't like to spend time watching old kids shows, nor does anybody, except us nostalgic adults, and we don't make up a big enough audience. This is not necessarily my opinion, but other people have said this to me.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I agree with everybody but.....

I think that what should happen is that they should at least do 1 DVD and have 2 dics and see what happens. Maybe if they see what will sale we might get more. A couple of things I would like to see as Extra Stuff
1) A couple of Audio Commentaries on Episodes
2) Some skeaches of what some characters look like on Sesame Street
3) Behinde the Scene of Sesame Street
4) and some Bloopers (Think that would be kind of Funny)

Hays

Reaction score
Good call - a test market

My review of the 25th anniversary video on Amazon is entitled "as close to watching the real show as a video gets" (which is unfortunately true at this time) Judging from the feedback, I think there are parents out there looking for real-episode videos.

I think they're just having a hard time convincing Sony Wonder.

Mister Fred

Reaction score
I think that is an excellent idea to put every sesame street episode on DVD. It would make an excellent collection for anyone and they can go back and look at an old episode whenever they want to. What a great idea!

Hays

Reaction score
Just for kicks, can anybody figure out how many DVDs that would be? I assume the number of episodes varies from season to season (at least it did this year.) Then we need to figure out how many episodes will fit on a disc.

You know, even though this is complete speculation, it's possible that someday we'll be able to get anything we want on DVD. After all, when I was a kid there wasn't even a way to record television at home! If there's a market...it will come. (tho probably not for 10 years or so, at least)

I hope what the file-sharing community is teaching the media companies is that people want control over what they listen to or see. If they're smart, they'll figure out a way to use that same system and make money off of it - and we'll be able to download any episode of anything that we want! People without access to the internet could get them from the library. Wouldn't that be great!

Erine81981

Reaction score
Hays is right. Maybe in 10 or so years there will be somthing like that. So keep in mind that in so many years cheak back at stores or the internet. Maybe. And if some how they get the episodes on the internet I'll download them all. :smile:

CookieFan

Reaction score
Someone mentioned DVD on demand.....Isn't SS in the process of digitizing and cataloging all the episodes with a search feature as well as licensing info? I would think that in the future it wouldn't be too hard to then create an interface which would allow DVD on demand sometime in the future.

BTW, since "they" invested a lot of time and money in this whole digitizing/cataloging system, I can't imagine SS going anywhere anytime soon.

Hays

Reaction score
Very true - I think we all need to stop panicking and make sure we send PBS a pledge (along with a note that we want more SS) this year!

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's impossible. Look at Star Trek. Paramount is releasing each season of evry series on DVD, and they stil have a looooong ways to go (Only up to the middle of DS9; and after that comes VOYAGER and in a few years ENTERPRISE).

Then again, the Star Trek discs are selling like mad. How would season-by-season sets of SS sell? Sure, the muppets are popular. But to me, SS has always been in somewhat of a separate category.