DVD Series of every Sesame Street episode ever made

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing to remember is that Friends or The Simpsons are 30 minute programs whereas Sesame Street is an hour per episode. The popular sitcomes are produced in huge numbers which makes their cost per disc go down dramaticly. Two-three episodes per disc is the most you could realisticly expect.

Rather than an episode-by-episode 10 or 20 disc set, I would prefer having a DVD set that contained chronological sketches of particular characters. For example, have a DVD with a hundred or so of the Classic Ernie and Bert Sketches. While fans would love something like this, it may not be practical for the average consumer. A "play all" button would be a must though. Maybe have a special intro and then the sketches one after another with titles and original airdates, then a comprehensive credit list at the end.

We may see a Sesame Street DVD boxed set at some point in some form, but don't expect it to be more than 10 or 20 discs tops. It just won't be bigger than that most likely. Something like this might come out around the season 40 celebration in five years or so.

Hays

Reaction score
Though a concern I would have about a "best of" video is that they might be tempted to stick with their current video format: some kind of weird plot-line that introduces each clip.

I'd rather have entire episodes with their original format. Heck, it's been on for 30 + years, why not a 34-disc set with the best two episodes from each year?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking one new intro at the beginning with the characters, then the clips one-after-another. A new intro before each clip would get old. I wouldn't want this like the "Best of Ernie and Bert" video, but rather clips in their entirety shown one after another with titles and original airdates shown before each clip.

ssetta

Reaction score
You see, I just happen to like a lot of the songs and sketches that were never very popular to begin with. It would be wonderful for something like that to happen, but for some reason, I don't think it will. Maybe a "best of" series, but it probably wouldn't have the stuff I want. I mean, Noggin never did a very good job with the Unpaved series, as I have mentioned before. There was an awful lot of stuff missing. Like episode #560 with Sally the Astronaut, and if you have seen episode #1316 where they go to Puerto Rico and surprise Maria for her birthday, I think they actually did a whole bunch of remote shows that season, but Noggin only picked the one. Maybe it could have more than the Unpaved series, but a lot of those shows had segments that were never very popular, but I like them.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like Hawaii, they spent a week in Puerto Rico if my memory serves correctly.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Sorry I forgot that Sesame Street was an hour long. So every- ones right. That would be better. I was thinking that How about a series of each of the old clips. I think they should do this take 10 episodes from each season or 5 which either would be simple. And make a series out of that. Or take each cartoon clip and make a DVD out of that. Then and so on. Like Phillip said make a DVD with each Erine and Bert skit. Then have one with all the songs of Sesame Street. Sorry for the camostion. I'll remember next time not to start somthing that I can't remember. Thanks and Sorry.:embarrassed:

Hays

Reaction score
Wouldn't a DVD of 100 clips make you a little dizzy with no through-line? I agree, I don't like the way Sesame Street makes its current videos: the intro segments are generally not produced with the same care as the series. Maybe they could organize them some way: our Schoolhouse Rock DVD has the ability to separate the clips by subject (math, grammar, history, money...)

So here's a new idea 46 DVDs: one for each letter of the alphabet, and one for numbers one through twenty - you might even be able to group them in threes and have only 16 DVDs. Each of these could be organized by animator or star (muppet.) You could include on-the-street segments, too.

Then a series to cover the other clips - who wants to take a stab at organizing them? Here's some ideas:

Stories and nursery rhymes (maybe we'll finally get some Sesame Street Newsflashes)

Silly songs (which they already have, but there are so many that aren't represented)

Taking care of yourself (including eating, sleeping, exercising)

The World around us (including animals and people)

Learning to get along

Gee, I wish we all worked at the Workshop and could actually make these ideas happen!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well... dispite the fact that SW would rather make money off of little kids with Elmo's World and (Ick) Dragontales DVD's, and once again, to heck with collectors and fans over 5 years old, I'd personally stick with the classic skits, "Best of" series.

Firstly, there are repeats of sketches on episodes... i.e. they show certain clips many times in many episodes (Pinball Numbar Count only has 12 segments, african mask has 20, and the playdough forming letters only has 380 segments... just kidding!)

I mean, a classiuc oriented Best of Ernie and Bert, Grover, Cookie Monster, a Music oriented one (sort of like Sesame Road or Born to Add in music video form) and a best of Guest stars type video sound great (to list only a few)

Maybe even a lost characters DVD with Don Music and Little Jerry!

Luke

Reaction score
Just out of interest, you USA guys seem to be talking about 10 disc, 16 disc, 40 disc and 100 disc sets like they are actually kinda happening. Whats the largest disc set you've seen in the states ? The most we have is like the X-files which is 6 or 7 - maybe it's a Uk thing and we're behind the times but i can't even contemplate a 40 disc set of anything right now - maybe in five years time yeah but wow, it's being talked about like it's normal.

Hays

Reaction score
True, but how many of those shows have aired for 30 years?

We can dream, can't we?:big_grin: