D'Snowth's M*A*S*H Reviews

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 62: "Private Charles Lamb"

Writers: Sid Dorfman
Director: Hy Averback
Original Airdate: December 31, 1974

Plot: When Radar was seen in the Mess Tent with a tray over flowing with vegetables, he wasn't just fixing himself a "little salad", he was getting lunch for his animals, whom he attends to every single day, but soon, he would find himself having to attend to another furry friend: when the 4077th find themselves operating on a batch of wounded Greek soldiers, their commanding officer, Colonel Andropolis is so pleased with the fine job the surgeons did, that he and his men donate a big feast to the 4077th, including a young lamb the cook plans to kill and roast for the feast. Radar is devastated to learn that they would do such a thing, so he plots to save the lamb: he gives it a sedative, dresses it in one of his uniforms, and has Henry Blake sign the hardship discharge papers for a Private Charles Lamb, who will be sent home to the O'Reilly farm in Iowa. Meanwhile, Hawkeye and Trapper have to deal with a soldier who shot himself in the foot to get out of going back to the front, and try to keep Frank Burns from finding out.

Comments:
- Although this is the fourteenth episode of Season Three, it was the tenth produced.

- Margaret doesn't appear in this episode.

- This episode features Hawkeye's disembodied speech: "The wounded keep coming, and coming. The common demoniator is blood, it's all red, and there's an awful lot of it leaking out around here."

- Radar had sixteen cats at one point back home.

- Apparently, this episode takes place during the Easter holiday.

What's Cut:
- The scene in the O.R. has been nicked for time, cutting out mostly Hawkeye and Trapper teaching Mr. Kwang about how a lot of medical techniques were invented in Greece.

- The following scene where Radar is meeting Henry in his office has been cut.

- The brief scene where Radar is in his office, feeding his skunk when the phone rings with the shipment of the Greek feast has been cut.

- Frank in Henry's office complaining about what all is going on in camp, and wanting to register a formal complaint to Father Mulcahy has been cut.

- The closing sequence where everyone in the Mess Tent is drunk and hungover from the party has been cut.

Overall:
Probably one of the better Season Three episodes. I give it 8.5 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Plot from TV.com (which should still be TV Tome)

Season Three

Episode 61: "A Full Rich Day"

Writers: John D. Hess
Director: Gene Reynolds
Original Airdate: December 3, 1974

Plot: Hawkeye records a letter to his dad, detailing the exploits of a mad Turkish soldier who calls Hawkeye a "**** good Joe," the unfortunate loss of the corpse of a Luxembourg soldier named Lt. Henri-Batiste LeClerc (who turns out not to be dead), and a gun-happy soldier who demands that his wounded friend be treated ahead of other patients.

Comments:
- Although this is the twelfth episode of Season Three, it was the eleventh produced.

- Margaret doesn't appear in this episode.

What's Cut:
- Not sure.

Overall:
Not too many people really like this episode, and I'm not too crazy about it either; we feel this episode doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. I give it 1 out of 10 stars.
I forgot to mention a goof that the laugh track was left on in the O.R. in this episode.

Also, please ignore the episode number mistakes: this is episode 60, while "Mad Dogs and Servicemen" is episode 61.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 63: "Bombed"

Writers: Jim Fritzell, Everett Greenbaum
Original Airdate: January 7, 1975

Plot: The 4077th found themselve under heavy enemy fire; Regimental Headquarters is no help, and everyone is desperate, especially since they're in the middle of another heavy deluge of casualties in O.R. including a violent North Korean P.O.W., and Staff Sergeant Benson who is booby-trapped with a grenade wrapped around him as the 4077th is slowly wiped out piece at a time. The Latrine is completely demolished, with Henry Blake and Father Mulcahy still inside: Henry suffers a broken arm, while Father Mulcahy is dazed and confused, Trapper helps Margaret get some things from the Supply Room, only to find themselves trapped when a shell hits the building and jams the door shut. Finally, Henry orders an immediate survival pack-up in case the 4077th is ordered to bug-out

Comments:
- Although this is the fifteenth episode of Season Three, it was the twentifth produced.

- I think, if I'm not mistaking, I believe Wayne Rogers said this was one of his favorite episodes.

- The shrubery outside Henry's office window has been removed so as to make room for the shell that's supposed to go off and explode the phone. This would be all well and good, as the next Season, the Supply Room would be seen off and on outside the window, but would be replaced with a Supply Tent in Season Five before returning to a Supply Room permanently in Season Six.

- Margaret says where she comes from, people always ran naked through the snow. Trapper then adds where he came from, people ran naked through the subway.

- Trapper reveals his middle name as Xavier - however, we still don't know what the 'F' stands for when his name was revealed last season as John F.X. McIntyre.

- GOOF: When Hawkeye throws the grenade outside the window, Trapper tells him to aim for the minefield, however, the minefield is behind the hospital, Hawkeye would be throwing out the front into the Compound.

- GOOF: Hawkeye gives Trapper a hair cut, and pretends to give him tonic... this bit should have been used for a closing sequence back in Season Two when Trapper was giving Hawkeye a hair cut and pretending to use tonic; this is another example of a joke used more than once that the producers over looked.

What's Cut:
- The opening sequence where Radar is in Henry's office on the phone with Regimental Headquarters about the shelling has been nicked for time.

- The scene where Radar screams about writing a book about the war, "exposing it all" has been cut.

- The scene where Frank is in Margaret's tent, upset about her being trapped in the Supply Room with Trapper, and them him suddenly propose to her has been cut. This makes for an unusual closing sequence where Margaret tells Frank that he's not going to welch out on her.

Overall:
Pretty good episode, though not one of my favorites. Still nice to watch from time to time. I give it 5 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 64: "Bulletin Board"

Writers: Larry Gelbart, Simon Muntner
Director: Alan Alda
Original Airdate: January 14, 1975

Plot: The 4077th's bulletin board is hopping with news lately, including: Henry Blake's monthly sex lecture, a new payroll savings plans, writing home to loved ones, the Shirley Temple movie in the Mess Tent, and a barbecue being held for Sister Teresa's Orphanage, complete with music, a kissing booth, a puppet show, and tug-of-war. Meanwhile, Margaret wants to borrow money from Frank Burns, who won't part with any of his cash, Trapper writes a letter home to his oldest daughter, Becky, and Henry is upset about a patient he's got in Post-Op who keep bleeding and hemmoraging.

Comments:
- Although this is the sixteenth episode of Season Three, it was the twenty-third produced.

- Henry delivers yet another sex lecture in this episode, and it too has been cut in syndication.

- Margaret's mother is an alcoholic, in fact, she says have of her salary goes to drying her out, while the other half goes towards her bail, as apparently when she's sober, she's a kleptomaniac.

- Radar is a big fan of Shirley Temple.

- Corporal Klinger and Sergeant Zale fight for the first time in this episode - something they would later do on a regular basis, as they are bitter rivals.

- GOOF: When Trapper counts how many paddles in a row Hawkeye can do in paddle-ball, he counts a total of 71, however, the way he was counting (by fives), Hawkeye actually paddled a total of 73.

- GOOF: Trapper says his oldest daughter is now seven, however, she was only five last season, which means two years have passed, and that the war should be close to an end.

- GOOF: Nurse Kellye is refered to as Nurse Charlie in this episode.

What's Cut:
- I thought everybody said Henry only delivered three sex lectures through-out his stint on the show... well, he delivers a fourth one in this episode, and it's cut as well.

- The scene in O.R. where Trapper tries to revive a patient suffering from Hypothermia has been nicked for time.

- The game at the party where you race spoonfuls of water to a glass without spilling any has been nicked for time.

Overall:
A pretty nice episode. I give it 8 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 65: "The Consultant"

Writers: Robert Klane (Teleplay by), Larry Gelbart (Story by)
Director: Gene Reynolds
Original Airdate: January 21, 1975

Plot: Hawkeye and Trapper are to attend to a series of surgical lectures at Tokyo General, only to goof off instead, so the next day, the 4077th receives a visit from Dr. Borelli, a medical consultant they met at a bar in Tokyo, who decides to get a glimpse of the action going on at M*A*S*H units. Dr. Borelli proves to be a bit more up-to-date than the surgeons at the 4077th when a patient comes in with a crushed leg, and Frank Burns assumes the leg will have to be amputated, but Dr. Borelli says the leg can be saved with an arterial transplant, so while the four hour wait is on, Radar goes scrounging for a new artery to replace the crushed one in the man's leg, and managed to find one at a British unit; so Hawkeye and Trapper head up to get it, and when they come back to the 4077th, they find Dr. Borelli is drunk... but on purpose... as he feels that he isn't fit to perform the operation himself, and that Hawkeye does fine enough work to do it himself, so he walks into O.R. to assist Hawkeye on his first arterial transplant.

Comments:
- Although this is the seventeenth episode of Season Three, it was the eighteenth produced.

- The first time we see just what a lousy jeep driver Radar is.

- This episode marks the first of three appearances by Tokyo General Surgical Consultant, Major Anthony Borelli, as played by Alan Alda's father, Robert Alda.

- To date, the 4077th has treated nearly 5,000 casualties.

- An arterial transplant is performed for the first time on the show.

- GOOF: The opening sequence of this episode is supposed to take place at sunrise, however, it's clearly sunset.

What's Cut:
- Radar filling up Henry's new hot tub while Frank complains about Hawkeye and Trapper not attending a single lecture in Tokyo has been edited out.

- Radar on the phone scrounging for an artery has been cut.

- The closing sequence where the gang of the 4077th bids Dr. Borelli farewell as he boards his chopper has been cut.

Overall:
I don't particularly care for this episode. I give it 2 out of 10 stars.

Princeton

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 64: "Bulletin Board"
One comment I'd like to add to this one is that during the tug-of-war scene (and this has been confirmed on one of the fansites for the show), when they all fall into the mud, Loretta Swit is actually screaming in pain and Alan Alda is saying "It's okay, Loretta, it's okay...". Of course, her screams and Alda's words of comfort are edited out, so you can't actually hear them, but you're still able to read their lips. It's very obvious that Loretta was in pain, and like I said, if you really read Alda's lips, you can make out what he's saying.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One comment I'd like to add to this one is that during the tug-of-war scene (and this has been confirmed on one of the fansites for the show), when they all fall into the mud, Loretta Swit is actually screaming in pain and Alan Alda is saying "It's okay, Loretta, it's okay...". Of course, her screams and Alda's words of comfort are edited out, so you can't actually hear them, but you're still able to read their lips. It's very obvious that Loretta was in pain, and like I said, if you really read Alda's lips, you can make out what he's saying.
I've heard people talk about her screaming, and someone (not necessarily Alan Alda) telling her "it's okay, Loretta, it's okay", though I've been trying to listen for it, but never have heard; but then again, no one told me they were edited out, I guess I'll just have to do some lip-reading.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 66: "House Arrest"

Writers: Jim Fritzell, Everett Greenbaum
Original Airdate: February 4, 1975

Plot: Margaret and Frank Burns are nervous about the arrival of a spit-and-polish female Colonel, Colonel Reese (as played by Mary Wickes), who will be arriving to inspect the 4077th, and it's O.R. performance, but before she arrives, there's a little snafu: Margaret and Frank have had with Hawkeye's razzing them, so to fight back, Frank wrings up a towel and snaps Hawkeye on the butt with it; Hawkeye's reaction - punching Frank right in the eye. So, because he struck a superior officer, Margaret and Frank press court-martial orders against him to Henry Blake, so until then, Hawkeye is placed under house arrest, but pretty soon, Hawkeye starts getting special treatment: the Mess Sergeant rustles up a real steak for him for punching Frank (even though Trapper ends up eating most of it), and Father Mulcahy manages to arrange for the movie to played in the Swamp, rather the Mess Tent so Hawkeye can see it. All this, meanwhile Colonel Reese finally arrives in the Mess Tent and likes what she observes, especially Frank, so when she manages to be alone with him, she tries to pick him up, but Margaret catches them, so to keep from getting in trouble, Colonel Reese hollers "rape", and Hawkeye's charges are dropped, while Frank is placed under house arrest, but is actually treated like a prison, unlike Hawkeye. Meanwhile, Radar sends away for special elevator shoes to make him appear taller.

Comments:
- Although this is the eighteenth episode of Season Three, it was the fifteenth produced.

- This episode sort of proves that Hawkeye is the un-official "star" of the show, in fact, because of that, a lot of people like to refer to M*A*S*H as "The Alan Alda Show".

- Trapper's testimony defending Hawkeye claims that Frank slipped on a bar of soap in the scrub room, and hitting his eye on the sink as he fell.

- The special steak Mess Sergeant Gifford got for Hawkeye came from a water buffalo a little old lady rode to Church on every Sunday.

- Because of his faith, Father Mulcahy can't eat any red meat on Friday.

- A P.O.W. package consists of a razor, six aspririn, a washcloth, toothpaste, and four Oreos.

- Hawkeye is a big fan of Gene Tierney... mostly because of her overbite.

- A special publicity photo of the entire cast in the Officers' Club has been taken during the filming of this episode; it can be seen on page 33 of The Complete Book of M*A*S*H, and on the front of the box of the Seasons One Through Five DVD Gift Set.

- My favorite quote from this episode during Frank pressing charges against Hawkeye, while Henry tries to get him to reconsider, by telling him "Why, I yell at Radar all the time, don't I?" to which, Radar replies, "I know you love me, sir."

What's Cut:
- In most syndicated prints, Frank pressing charges against Hawkeye to Henry has been completely cut, though in others, it's simply nicked for time.

- While Trapper makes his testimony in Hawkeye's defense, the brief bit where Corporal Klinger interrupts after lengthening Radar's pants by three inches has been edited out.

- Radar chewing out the Mail Officer over the phone, and claiming to be Henry has been cut.

- Colonel Reese starting to rub Frank's shoulders while Frank babbles on about "being curse with perfection" has been cut short.

Overall:
Another one of my favorite Season Three episodes. I give it 10 stars all the way.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 67: "Aid Station"

Writers: Larry Gelbart, Simon Muntner
Director: William Jurgensen
Original Airdate: February 11, 1975

Plot: Henry Blake calls an emergency meeting in his office with all the officers: an Aid Station is short a few surgeons, and requires the assistance of a surgeon, a nurse, and a corpsman from the 4077th until replacement surgeons arrive. Margaret volunteers, Hawkeye ends up drawing the shortest sausage, and Corporal Klinger ends up having to tag-along for the corpsman job. The three are soon on their way, while everyone back home is worried about them since the Aid Station is practically up at the front; it's no picnic for them either, since there's a lot of shelling going on up at the Aid Station.

Comments:
- Although this is the nineteenth episode of Season Three, it was the twenty-second produced.

- Who has mashed potatoes for breakfast?

- Corporal Klinger's hometown is revealed in this episode as being Toledo, Ohio. In fact, he said his mother was mugged on her way home from the hospital after giving birth to him. However, since that particular scene isn't in syndication, it isn't necessarily revealed in this episode.

- McLean Stevenson's hair begins graying in this episode.

- It's revealed in this episode that although Margaret can finds Hawkeye to be arrogant, self-righteous, and completely unmilitary, she finds him to be the best surgeon she's ever met.

- The first, and only time we see Henry's office from outside the windows.

- GOOF: I-Corps is refered to a I-Company in this episode.

What's Cut:
- The opening sequence during breakfast in the Mess Tent has been nicked for time.

- Klinger's telling Radar which dress, or whatever goes to who in case he doesn't make it has been cut short.

- The brief scene where the jeep's tire goes flat, and Margaret decides to change it herself so Hawkeye won't ruin his hands has been edited out.

- The closing sequence in the Mess Tent where everyone complains about the chow and coffee, while Hawkeye and Margaret sneaks smiles at each other has been cut.

Overall:
Another fine Season Three episode, not necessarily a favorite of mine, but I do still enjoy it, it had a really good plot that worked out well. I give it 9 out of 10 stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Season Three

Episode 68: "Love and Marriage"

Writers: Arthur Julian
Director: Lee Philips
Original Airdate: February 18, 1975

Plot: Hawkeye and Trapper try to help Korean surgical assistant Mr. Kwang reunite with his pregnant wife back home in his village, meanwhile they try to keep an American corpsman in camp from marrying a local business girl.

Comments:
- Although this is the twentieth episode of Season Three, it was the twenty-first produced.

- Father Mulcahy doesn't know what a tushy is.

- Soon-Tek Oh, who plays surgical assistant, Mr. Kwang, in this episode, will later appear in "The Korean Surgeon" in Season Five, in which he plays a North Korean surgeon, whom Hawkeye and B.J. try to get transfered to the 4077th by passing him off as a South Korean surgeon.

What's Cut:
- I'm not sure.

Overall:
I rather poor episode in my opinion; I coincidentally never did see it a lot in re-runs, and I rarely watch it on DVD, so I apologize for another lack-luster episode review. As for my rating, I rate this episode 1 out of 10 stars.